MLB continues to be information technology idiots.

tntoriole

I've had Next Def issues on my mac before, especially when using Firefox.

Honestly, if you've already spent $125 on MLB.TV, just get a Roku. I bought one a year ago with Netflix in mind, but once I discovered I could use it to stream MLB.TV it was a difference maker. I've hardly ever had any problems with MLB.TV on the Roku. I'll never watch a game on my laptop again if I have the choice.

Roku is great. So is PlayStation.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I use Macs. Is Chrome really that different/better than Safari? I played with Chrome several years ago and it just looked different to me; I didn't notice a real performance difference. Curious about your experience.

p.s. sorry to derail thread a bit, but curious. And I will be purchasing mlb.tv for the season.

Definitely use Chrome on a Mac (though I've always found that the At Bat app works great on my iPhone and iPad).

Every year for the last five years, I have signed up and attempted to use MLB. TV to see baseball games. And every single year, MLB's IT design and technology is worse than a third world country. Every single year, they farm out parts of their streaming activity to some stupid vendor who is totally and completely incompetent. You end up paying exorbitant fees for usage that is sound only about 50 percent of the time at best. Compared to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Vudu or any other streaming service (including those run by 12 year olds) MLB.TV is just the absolute worst product imaginable. It gets worse every single year which is almost impossible to believe.

Today, I get a constant error message about this ridiculous "next-def" software that blocks the broadcast- I have downloaded it three times, closed out, logged off, rebooted the computer, etc. but it makes NO Difference, only WBAL audio which I am really thrilled to be paying money to hear. Do not use MLB. TV it is still a tremendous ripoff.

I absolutely love MLB.TV, I think you really need to change your computer, Internet Service Provider or simply change your Operating System.

Without MLB.TV I would not watch my beloved O's play.

Your case is isolated.

The blackout rule is disgraceful. I was in the Las Vegas metro area for a little while and the following teams were blacked out:

Oakland Athletics

San Francisco Giants

San Diego Padres

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Arizona Diamondbacks

Los Angeles Dodgers

Except for Mariners games, if the Orioles were on the West Coast I had no option to watch. And there was no way to subscribe to cable or satellite and get those teams games either. Basically a complete blackout - impossible to watch home games for any of the above teams. I think there are other areas (Iowa maybe) where MLB has the same nonsensical blackout restrictions.

Vegas IS one of the worst markets! Considered home territory for all of the teams you listed. This is the disconnect I DO NOT understand! If you want to watch the Orioles play ANY of these you can not. JUST. MAKE. THE. GAMES AVAILABLE!!!! Bud you're a bigger whore than the Player's Association! Grubbing for EVERY last dollar, EVERY LAST CENT!!!! that you can get your grubby little hands on! :spit:

I've been a subscriber for 4 years now. It has been great for me. To me, it's the best deal going. I rarely use the computer to watch games though. It's usually the ps3 in the living room or the appleTV in my bedroom. I might get a quick glitch a couple of times a game, but hardly enough to really dampen the experience. As someone else suggested, I think your best bet would be to watch on a device connected to your tv...roku, ps3, appleTV, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep. MLB.tv is usually fine once the season starts.

They had a rocky start last season but worked it out. I've had MLB.TV for years and love it. It works great on our 2 smart TV's (Samsungs) and on another TV connected to a ROKU player. I can watch on my laptop and MLB.TV also gives you a free At Bat app for your tablet and cell phones so I can watch all games live in HD. Baseball everywhere anytime. Can't beat it. This year it was up and running for the first ST games.

I had MLB.TV a few years ago and had issues with the stream stopping and starting. I'm going to try it again this year but I'm going to adjust my settings a bit and run it through one of the XBoxes we have so I can see it on the TV. If anyone has any pointers about settings I'd love to hear them.

I use Macs. Is Chrome really that different/better than Safari? I played with Chrome several years ago and it just looked different to me; I didn't notice a real performance difference. Curious about your experience.

p.s. sorry to derail thread a bit, but curious. And I will be purchasing mlb.tv for the season.

I've found it to be easier to operate, add extensions, and I think it looks better. Most importantly, though, it runs much quicker with less bugs.

I've had Next Def issues on my mac before, especially when using Firefox.

Honestly, if you've already spent $125 on MLB.TV, just get a Roku. I bought one a year ago with Netflix in mind, but once I discovered I could use it to stream MLB.TV it was a difference maker. I've hardly ever had any problems with MLB.TV on the Roku. I'll never watch a game on my laptop again if I have the choice.

Can somebody give me a 20-second blurb on Roku. Does it basically connect to an HDMI input and have a bunch of channels to select from sort of like Netflix through a gaming system? Where MLB.TV is one of the options? Also do I need MLB.TV premium to use it? I only have the basic package currently. But I'm really intrigued by the idea of HD baseball on my TV instead of my laptop :P

I've been using a chromecast which let's you play stuff from your phone or laptop on your tv. For $35 it's a sweet deal. If you don't want to wire up a roku to your tv this is a cheap rash alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using a chromecast which let's you play stuff from your phone or laptop on your tv. For $35 it's a sweet deal. If you don't want to wire up a roku to your tv this is a cheap rash alternative.

I thought Roku had a wireless HDMI Transmitter, just like chromecast?????

Interesting. Might be my best option then. Thanks!

I thought Roku had a wireless HDMI Transmitter, just like chromecast?????

Maybe it does, they have put out newer versions since last I looked.

I like the price and size of the chromecast and so far it works pretty well. Its so small you can take it with you and plug it in anywhere you want.

Pandora streams great from Chrome on Windows 8 or iPhone.

The Real Player Cloud app is fantastic. It lets you stream video you just took on your phone to your TV.

Archived