2014 St. Louis Cardinals

OFFNY

o

7 innings of 3-hit, shutout ball for Masterson.

All 3 hits that Masterson ceded were singles.

0 walks, 3 strikeouts.

JUSTIN MASTERSON O (vs. MARLINS, 8/12)

IP:. 7

H:o 3 (3 Singles)

R:O 0

BB: 0

SO: 3

Pitches: 91 (56 Strikes, 35 Balls)

2014 ERA: 5.58

* CLEVELAND INDIANS (5.51) OOOOO ST. LOUIS CARDINALS (6.00)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

THE CARDINALS' RUN DIFFERENTIAL: 2012, 2013, 2014

(By OFFNY)

This year, the Cardinals are the only team in the Top-10 of baseball (#9) that has a negative run differential, at -4.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/group/9

Last year, the Cardinals had the best record in all of baseball (tied with the Red Sox at 97-65) with a positive run differential of +187.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/year/2013/group/9

The Cardinals are on pace to go 89-73 this season, which is 8 games worse than last year's 97-65.

For a more similar comparison, the 2012 Cardinals went 88-74 (closer to the 2014 Cardinals' team than last year's 97-65 Cardinals) with a positive run differential of +117

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/year/2012/group/9

It seems that ultimately, the Cardinals FIND WAYS to field a winning team, one way or another.

• 2 weeks later...

o

(SEPTEMBER 16th)

The Cardinals don't play the Pirates anymore for the rest of the season.

So when all is said and done, the Redbirds' 3-game sweep of the western Pennsylvanians on September 1st, 2nd, and 3rd may be what everyone looks back on as the point in which the Cardinals staked their claim to the division title.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/STL/2014-schedule-scores.shtml

o

Michael Joseph Wacha has been amazingly consistent with his walks rate, hits rate, and strikeouts rate per inning in his first 2 major league seasons.

In 2013, Wacha walked 19 batters in 64.67 innings, for an average of 1 walk every 3.40 innings.

In 2014, Wacha walked 30 batters in 97.33 innings, for an average of 1 walk every 3.24 innings.

In 2013, Wacha allowed 52 hits in 64.67 innings, for an average of 1 hit every 0.804 innings.

In 2014, Wacha allowed 84 hits in 97.33 innings, for an average of 1 hit every 0.863 innings.

In 2013, Wacha struck out 65 batters in 64.67 innings, for an average of 1 strikeout per inning.

In 2014, Wacha struck out 89 batters in 97.33 innings, for an average of almost 1 strikeout per inning.

Bump!

I've not been posting recently because I've spent most of the last two months in the hospital. I underwent aortic valve replacement surgery at Johns Hopkins on July 7th, which extended into July 8th as the surgical team battled to halt the bleeding and keep me alive. Another surgeon in Harrisburg declined to perform the surgery and estimated my odds of dying during the operation at 20 percent. In hindsight, I think his estimate was low, and I'm alive today only because of the skills of my Johns Hopkins surgeon and his team.

I was transferred to a rehab hospital in York on July 30 and discharged on August 17th. On August 18th, I was back in Johns Hopkins with a blood infection. Antibiotics brought that under control but apparently there is a residual spot of infection on a piece of Dacron tubing next to my new aortic valve, part of an aneurysm repair back in 2009. I was discharged again on August 28th, but I will require IV antibiotics for another 6 weeks or so. Opening me up again (the third time) probably is not an option.

I was in ICU for about 2 weeks. During that period, my left arm was tied down to a board, attached to an IV lead and other monitors. The inactivity apparently led to atrophy of my ulnar nerve, leaving my arm and fingers numb, something the surgeon described as "traumatic neuropathy". I'm going to need a lot of therapy to hopefully restore my ulnar nerve to the point where I can touch type again, The forced brevity may be a side benefit.

What I have been doing is following the adventures of my "birds" down the stretch. Looking forward to a possible reprise if the 1944 series, although a reprise of the 1964 series would give me greater pleasure.

Bump!

I've not been posting recently because I've spent most of the last two months in the hospital. I underwent aortic valve replacement surgery at Johns Hopkins on July 7th, which extended into July 8th as the surgical team battled to halt the bleeding and keep me alive. Another surgeon in Harrisburg declined to perform the surgery and estimated my odds of dying during the operation at 20 percent. In hindsight, I think his estimate was low, and I'm alive today only because of the skills of my Johns Hopkins surgeon and his team.

I was transferred to a rehab hospital in York on July 30 and discharged on August 17th. On August 18th, I was back in Johns Hopkins with a blood infection. Antibiotics brought that under control but apparently there is a residual spot of infection on a piece of Dacron tubing next to my new aortic valve, part of an aneurysm repair back in 2009. I was discharged again on August 28th, but I will require IV antibiotics for another 6 weeks or so. Opening me up again (the third time) probably is not an option.

I was in ICU for about 2 weeks. During that period, my left arm was tied down to a board, attached to an IV lead and other monitors. The inactivity apparently led to atrophy of my ulnar nerve, leaving my arm and fingers numb, something the surgeon described as "traumatic neuropathy". I'm going to need a lot of therapy to hopefully restore my ulnar nerve to the point where I can touch type again, The forced brevity may be a side benefit.

What I have been doing is following the adventures of my "birds" down the stretch. Looking forward to a possible reprise if the 1944 series, although a reprise of the 1964 series would give me greater pleasure.

Wow.

I hope that you are able to pull through, in light of all that you have had happen to you.

Good luck, Redbird.

And yes, I would love to see a reprise of the 1944 World Series, with the Orioles (formerly, the Browns) taking on the Cardinals.

Back in April, I predicted that the Cardinals would beat the Orioles in the World Series, 4 games to 3.

o

Michael Joseph Wacha has been amazingly consistent with his walks rate, hits rate, and strikeouts rate per inning in his first 2 major league seasons.

In 2013, Wacha walked 19 batters in 64.67 innings, for an average of 1 walk every 3.40 innings.

In 2014, Wacha walked 30 batters in 97.33 innings, for an average of 1 walk every 3.24 innings.

In 2013, Wacha allowed 52 hits in 64.67 innings, for an average of 1 hit every 0.804 innings.

In 2014, Wacha allowed 84 hits in 97.33 innings, for an average of 1 hit every 0.863 innings.

In 2013, Wacha struck out 65 batters in 64.67 innings, for an average of 1 strikeout per inning.

In 2014, Wacha struck out 89 batters in 97.33 innings, for an average of almost 1 strikeout per inning.

(vs. BREWERS, 9/18)

6 innings.

1 earned run.

4 hits (3 singles and 1 double.)

0 walks.

4 strikeouts.

Outstanding strikes-to-balls ratio (62 strikes, 20 balls.)

Retired the first 11 batters that he faced.

Bump!

Wow! That's scary stuff. Really glad to hear you're OK.

Wow.

I hope that you are able to pull through, in light of all that you have had happen to you.

Good luck, Redbird.

And yes, I would love to see a reprise of the 1944 World Series, with the Orioles (formerly, the Browns) taking on the Cardinals.

Back in April, I predicted that the Cardinals would beat the Orioles in the World Series, 4 games to 3.

Actually I'd rather not! Those Cards seem to have a knack of going deep and winning. Probably my least favorite and scariest WS opponent. IF we get that far...

Good to hear Redbird is doing well. Well enough... :) One of our best posters.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived