Lurking: Ryan Flaherty?

Frobby

I am hoping it was the cold weather, but I was gonna say the same thing about schoop. Buck had a big smile when flash got on base. So how do we get a tall skinny utility infielder with a nickname of flash... yet he does not steal...
He flashes the leather every where he plays.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Manny flashes leather. Flaherty some how gets credit for flashing leather for plays that are typically routine. Haven't seen one play this year by him that screams "Wow".

He is very solid defensively. Is he a highlight reel like Manny? No. But Flaherty can be relied upon to play extremely solid defense just about anywhere you plug him in. And compared to other options in the IF who also don't hit particularly well, his defense is much better - which is why Buck sticks with him for such an excruciating amount of time.

He had a Manny-esque barehanded grab at 3rd with the real strong throw for the out. That was in the first couple of games I think.

This one:

krZeb2v.gif

Unfortunately the next night he made another bare-handed throw on a ball off the grass he had to charge hard in on, and, well...

Napoli's two-run single extended the Red Sox lead to 6-2 in the top of the seventh inning, and that lead would hold up. Right fielder Daniel Nava led off the inning with a single, then Dustin Pedroia -- who had four hits on the night -- followed with a soft ground ball to Orioles third baseman Ryan Flaherty who committed an error on the throw to first base allowing the runners to advance to second and third. Reliever Ryan Webb then intentionally walked David Ortiz, and Napoli made the Orioles pay as the Sox first baseman belted a line drive two-RBI base hit scoring Nava and Pedroia and giving him four RBIs on the night.

That was a play that Manny makes 99 times out of 100. BUT Manny is going to make nearly every other player at 3rd look bad.

Flash is just typically extremely solid. :D

He had a Manny-esque barehanded grab at 3rd with the real strong throw for the out. That was in the first couple of games I think.

Manny-esque? Manny's best barehanded play was one where he didn't throw the ball. Other then that those kinds of players are routine plays. So Flaherty basically did a routine play for most 3bs imho.

When Flaherty runs 20 yards and does a some amazing catch over the shoulder or ends up cutting off a ball in the gap between short and 3rd and then throwing the runner out.. then only then is that Manny-esque.

He is very solid defensively. Is he a highlight reel like Manny? No. But Flaherty can be relied upon to play extremely solid defense just about anywhere you plug him in. And compared to other options in the IF who also don't hit particularly well, his defense is much better - which is why Buck sticks with him for such an excruciating amount of time.

Then he doesn't flash the leather. Schoop's defense is much better Flaherty, problem is we haven't had a chance to see it. Buck sticks with him cause he's loyal. Finding a player who won't kill you defensively too much and being a .200 hitter is EASY to find in the minor leagues.. there are tons of them sitting around in A, AA and AAA.

This one:

krZeb2v.gif

It was a good play but not flashy.

Unfortunately the next night he made another bare-handed throw on a ball off the grass he had to charge hard in on, and, well...

And some times a good/solid defender will put it in his pocket. That's the difference between being good and a filler (along with hitting).

That was a play that Manny makes 99 times out of 100. BUT Manny is going to make nearly every other player at 3rd look bad.

Who knows what Manny would have done but I've seen him pocket plays like that.

Flash is just typically extremely solid. :D

Solidly bad at the plate.

Manny-esque? Manny's best barehanded play was one where he didn't throw the ball. Other then that those kinds of players are routine plays. So Flaherty basically did a routine play for most 3bs imho.

When Flaherty runs 20 yards and does a some amazing catch over the shoulder or ends up cutting off a ball in the gap between short and 3rd and then throwing the runner out.. then only then is that Manny-esque.

* Player... and why is there no edit function for me... GRRRRRR.

Then he doesn't flash the leather. Schoop's defense is much better Flaherty, problem is we haven't had a chance to see it. Buck sticks with him cause he's loyal. Finding a player who won't kill you defensively too much and being a .200 hitter is EASY to find in the minor leagues.. there are tons of them sitting around in A, AA and AAA.

Solidly bad at the plate.

I would find it hard to believe that Schoop is a better defender, let alone "much better" than Flaherty.

As for the batting, no argument there.

* Player... and why is there no edit function for me... GRRRRRR.

Because you don't pay any money to post. I think its a good system they allow people to post without paying but give you upgraded features if you pay. Also I completely disagree that Schoop is a better defender than Flaherty

I would find it hard to believe that Schoop is a better defender, let alone "much better" than Flaherty.

Like Flaherty, Schoop can play a few positions.. 3rd, 2nd and SS. You'll be surprised how good Schoop is. I haven't seen a player turn a double play as smooth as he has since Alomar.

As for the batting, no argument there.

And that's why I've stated that Flaherty is Util bench guy who could probably play filler but not everyday.. he's basically a AAAA player. Can hit the fastball but throw him off speed and he looks like a deer in headlights.

Because you don't pay any money to post. I think its a good system they allow people to post without paying but give you upgraded features if you pay. Also I completely disagree that Schoop is a better defender than Flaherty

No offense to Tony or anything but the forum would be pretty dead if they only allowed paying customers to post. But that's here nor there.

That's fine.. but I disagree with your statement.

Archived