Schoop - The Blessing.

Ommaculate

I was definitely in this camp, though just as much for service time as for learning opportunity. But if he's hitting, he's hitting, and I want him to do it for Baltimore rather than Norfolk.

A hitter will never ever learn to hit big league pitching at the AAA level.

He plus defender glove at 2nd, get's his 25 man roster and playing time.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A hitter will never ever learn to hit big league pitching at the AAA level.

This is simplistic. The whole point of the minor league system is to incrementally ratchet up the competition in order to prepare players for the big leagues. If the only way to learn how to hit big league pitching was in the majors, then we'd just send recently drafted hitters straight to Baltimore. But we don't do that, because they would fail.

This is simplistic. The whole point of the minor league system is to incrementally ratchet up the competition in order to prepare players for the big leagues. If the only way to learn how to hit big league pitching was in the majors, then we'd just send recently drafted hitters straight to Baltimore. But we don't do that, because they would fail.

At this point, sending back down to AAA, to hit AAA pitchers, is not going to help his big league approach.

An 18 year old is going to fail a lot worse than a 22-24 year old that has been through every level of the minors. I do believe the only place you can learn to hit big league pitching is in the majors. However, it's all about preparing a player the best you can before he gets there.

Yes, I agree. My point is it isn't a black/white thing and, considering Schoop's weak debut at the plate last year and how little time he spent at AA/AAA, to act as if he couldn't possibly benefit from more seasoning in the minors is a little ridiculous.

At this point, sending back down to AAA, to hit AAA pitchers, is not going to help his big league approach.

I don't know how you can say this with any degree of certainty. Some young players can learn on the fly while others get overwhelmed. Baltimore may have a sense of what type of player Schoop is, but they don't know for sure, and you certainly don't. I don't either, which is why I don't have a strong opinion on this subject.

o

(vs. YANKEES, 4/15)

JONATHAN RUFINO JEZUS SCHOOP

• 2 months later...

o

Welcome back.

Congratulations on the home run.

(vs. WHITE SOX, 7/05)

Should we go with an everyday lineup of 3B Machado, SS Hardy, 2B Schoop, 1B Flaherty? We'd probably have great defense that way and Flaherty can probably hit as much as Parmalee.

Flash does not play 1B as well as Pearce or Parmelee. Pearce has put up an .867 OPS in limited time over the last 28 days. With Parmelee fading, he is likely to see more time at 1B.

Flash does not play 1B as well as Pearce or Parmelee. Pearce has put up an .867 OPS in limited time over the last 28 days. With Parmelee fading, he is likely to see more time at 1B.

Yeah, you're probably right. Plus Parmalee despite his slump has a .856 OPS in 61 PA, which suggests he deserves more of a chance.

Sadly I don't think there's room for two players of Schoop and Flaherty's calibre in the team. They are both starting 2B. We should trade one of them, but because of the way we've handled Flaherty the past few years I doubt he has much trade value, or as much value on the market as he has in reality.

Yeah, you're probably right. Plus Parmalee despite his slump has a .856 OPS in 61 PA, which suggests he deserves more of a chance.

Sadly I don't think there's room for two players of Schoop and Flaherty's calibre in the team. They are both starting 2B. We should trade one of them, but because of the way we've handled Flaherty the past few years I doubt he has much trade value, or as much value on the market as he has in reality.

If Pearce regains his stroke, he'll be the starter in LF or 1B. No one else seems to want those jobs. I think there's room for both players on the team, but either Reimold or Snider would have to go.

Should we go with an everyday lineup of 3B Machado, SS Hardy, 2B Schoop, 1B Flaherty? We'd probably have great defense that way and Flaherty can probably hit as much as Parmalee.
2B - Schoop (Flaherty*)

SS - Hardy (Flaherty*)

3B - Machado (Flaherty*)

* left handed

2B - Schoop (Flaherty*)

SS - Hardy (Flaherty*)

3B - Machado (Flaherty*)

* left handed

2B - Schoop (Flaherty*)

SS - Hardy (Flaherty*)

3B - Machado (Flaherty*)

* left handed

2B - Schoop (Flaherty*)

SS - Hardy (Flaherty*)

3B - Machado (Flaherty*)

* left handed

How often are you going to want to sit Machado? almost never

How often are you going to want to trade Hardy's SS defense for Flaherty's? only when Hardy really needs a rest

That leaves Schoop, and he needs to be playing almost everyday.

I would see if we could get a really nice haul for Schoop, as I don't think long-term he'll be THAT much better than Flaherty, so we could leverage our surplus of value at 2B by trading Schoop and upgrading in other positions, should we be able to get a genuinely good return for him.

How often are you going to want to sit Machado? almost never

How often are you going to want to trade Hardy's SS defense for Flaherty's? only when Hardy really needs a rest

That leaves Schoop, and he needs to be playing almost everyday.

I would see if we could get a really nice haul for Schoop, as I don't think long-term he'll be THAT much better than Flaherty, so we could leverage our surplus of value at 2B by trading Schoop and upgrading in other positions, should we be able to get a genuinely good return for him.

In the long term I expect Schoop to be miles better than Flaherty. He's five years younger, has played half as many games, and is 0.4 rWAR behind Flaherty in career value. Don't get me wrong, I like Flaherty and think he could start for a lot of teams, but he has nowhere near the potential that Schoop has. If you trade Schoop, you'd better get a king's ransom.

In the long term I expect Schoop to be miles better than Flaherty. He's five years younger, has played half as many games, and is 0.4 rWAR behind Flaherty in career value. Don't get me wrong, I like Flaherty and think he could start for a lot of teams, but he has nowhere near the potential that Schoop has. If you trade Schoop, you'd better get a king's ransom.

Yeah, I agree with this. Overall you probably don't lose much if anything between the two even if Schoop hits marginally better than last year and Schoop presents tremendous upside that you just have to go with.

Archived