Schoop - The Blessing.

Ommaculate

I said it before, Ill say it again. This kid is gonna be a star and gonna be a Cano like talent. No jinx. He's gonna get better and better(health assumed) and we will have a gem. And he's a nice kid with a lovely personality. Not always easy to find people like that.

He's a very different type of hitter than Cano. No matter how many times you say it.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This team should make an effort to get both Manny and Schoop locked up for a long while. They obviously love being teammates.

I think a big key to getting Manny locked up is locking up Schoop. Who wouldn't want to play with their best friend for the next decade?

The Pirates gave Starling Marte 6/31. I think I would offer something similar to Schoop. Maybe 6/36 or 7/42. I don't know if he'd accept but I'd make him turn it down.

Nice handshake for Manny yesterday at about 0:32.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v267700683/?c_id=mlb

I was on the fence about starting Schoop in AAA this year but he has proved me wrong. I love the attitude and the defense, and now he is hitting. If he can even split the difference between this year and last year, that would put him at .250/.285/.475/.750. I would be very, very happy with that production along with his defense.

Nice handshake for Manny yesterday at about 0:32.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v267700683/?c_id=mlb

I was on the fence about starting Schoop in AAA this year but he has proved me wrong. I love the attitude and the defense, and now he is hitting. If he can even split the difference between this year and last year, that would put him at .250/.285/.475/.750. I would be very, very happy with that production along with his defense.

Great link. Scoop, Many and Jones are the core going forward.

Last year, I wasn't sold on Schoop. EVery time he came up, I grumbled to myself, "this is an automatic out." But this year, Schoop has completely won me over. This guy is going to be good, if not great. I love it when a home-grown player makes good.

Last year, I wasn't sold on Schoop. EVery time he came up, I grumbled to myself, "this is an automatic out." But this year, Schoop has completely won me over. This guy is going to be good, if not great. I love it when a home-grown player makes good.

Yeah, I'm getting very close to calling 'Uncle' in that I'd way underestimated Schoop. I can't wait. When I call Uncle I'm going to officially switch over to a man crush.

I at least find it interesting, maybe a little encouraging, that Cano, as a 22-year-old rookie, walked 16 times in 551 PAs. Schoop didn't hit .297, but still.

His physical skills are very impressive. I rarely pay much attention to Roy's rhetoric but this guy has very high upside. "Cano-like" upside is a pretty high bar, but it wouldn't shock me either.

His physical skills are very impressive. I rarely pay much attention to Roy's rhetoric but this guy has very high upside. "Cano-like" upside is a pretty high bar, but it wouldn't shock me either.

I keep seeing a young Alfonso Soriano.

[video=youtube;wmT0iaMupxY]

[video=youtube;oygBBxmUaHA]

Schoop is 6'1", and Soriano is 6'1"... Schoop's a little thicker. Both like to hover the bat up high and both have a tendency to take the arm off the bat through a fast but sweeping swing. In the Soriano clip however you can see how he sees the ball well, and is able to cover more zones over the plate. That's the level Schoop can get to.

Set the Soriano clip to 1:04 and start the Schoop clip from the beginning, simo. See what I mean.

I keep seeing a young Alfonso Soriano.

[video=youtube;wmT0iaMupxY]

[video=youtube;oygBBxmUaHA]

Schoop is 6'1", and Soriano is 6'1"... Schoop's a little thicker. Both like to hover the bat up high and both have a tendency to take the arm off the bat through a fast but sweeping swing. In the Soriano clip however you can see how he sees the ball well, and is able to cover more zones over the plate. That's the level Schoop can get to.

Set the Soriano clip to 1:04 and start the Schoop clip from the beginning, simo. See what I mean.

When Markakis was young I think I said something like "he has a 30-50% chance of having a HOF career", which of course was shortened to "he's totally going to Cooperstown" in casual conversation by others, so this will totally jinx Schoop... but if Alfonso Soriano was a plus defender at second base he would be at least in the HOF grey area. He'd be sitting on something like 55 fWAR, give or take. That's Bobby Doerr, Johnny Evers, Billy Herman, Chase Utley territory.

When Markakis was young I think I said something like "he has a 30-50% chance of having a HOF career", which of course was shortened to "he's totally going to Cooperstown" in casual conversation by others, so this will totally jinx Schoop... but if Alfonso Soriano was a plus defender at second base he would be at least in the HOF grey area. He'd be sitting on something like 55 fWAR, give or take. That's Bobby Doerr, Johnny Evers, Billy Herman, Chase Utley territory.

What are you saying?

Schoop to the HOF? Are you calling it now?

What are you saying?

Schoop to the HOF? Are you calling it now?

No! I'm just saying that Schoop has some similarities to Alfonso Soriano and Robinson Cano. And that if Soriano had been a very good second baseman rather than a butcher in desperate need of a new position he'd have a good HOF case.

The number of players who have plausible HOF cases at 23 are about 10 times the number who have plausible HOF cases at 33. Schoop is among the players who haven't yet done anything that precludes them from having a case at 33.

Archived