Schoop - The Blessing.

Ommaculate

17 minutes ago, crawjo said:

This was the right choice. Brach was the only other possibility but Schoop has done much more to deserve this. He's the mandatory Orioles representative, but he also earned this. He would have deserved to go regardless of that rule.

Case could have been made for Mancini.  I would have gone with Givens over Brach if I had to pick a reliever. 

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/28/2017 at 11:42 AM, OFFNY said:

o

Jonathan Schoop Selected to His First All-Star Team

(By Roch Kubatko)

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/07/jonathan-schoop-selected-to-first-all-star-team.html

o

On 7/10/2017 at 3:37 PM, OFFNY said:

o

We have a game thread for tomorrow's Mid-Summer Classic in the MLB section.

o

o

Jonathan did us proud by hitting a 2-out double in his only plate appearance, and subsequently scoring the first run of the game on an RBI-single by Miguel Sano.

o

1 minute ago, OFFNY said:

o

Jonathan did us proud by hitting a 2-out double in his only plate appearance, and subsequently scoring the first run of the game on an RBI-single by Miguel Sano.

o

He did great.  Seemed to really enjoy himself.  Hope he makes more trips.

8 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

The Washington Post ran an 18-paragraph article about the game that didn't even mention how the AL scored its first run.    Pathetic!    Plus, they didn't even print the box score.    I wrote them a letter, we'll see if they publish it.    

4 minutes ago, Natty said:

As of now, looking at the numbers, isn't Schoop more valuable than Machado? 

BB-ref has Schoop with 2.0 rWAR, Manny at 1.5.     Fangraphs has them both at 1.8 fWAR.     The main difference is that fangraphs has a higher evaluation Manny's defense.

On 7/27/2014 at 11:46 PM, OFFNY said:

o

The route that the Orioles are taking with Schoop is somewhat similar to the route that the Tigers took with Ron LeFlore back in 1974, 1975, and 1976.

Like Schoop, LeFlore was "force fed" as a starting position player. LeFlore had hit well at the minor league A-level in '74, but they skipped him over the AA-level, and he only played 9 GAMES at the AAA-level before being promoted to the Tigers that same year ...... as their starting centerfielder.

In that 1974 season, LeFlore was pretty bad offensively. His batting average was decent, but his OBP was only .302, and he struck out a lot.

More of the same occurred in 1975 (decent batting average, but a low OBP, and he struck out a lot.)

In 1976, LeFlore finally broke through, batting .316 with an OBP of .376, stealing 58 bases, and having a memorable 30-game hitting streak.

Additionally, LeFlore cut down on his strikeouts somewhat in 1976, but (more significantly)his walk rate improved considerably.

Now ...... I'm not saying that Schoop will necessarily prosper offensively like LeFlore did in his 7-year prime from 1976-1982. And I understand that with LeFlore, the circumstances were different for 2 reasons:

A) ) Those 1974 and 1975 Tigers teams were awful, so the Tigers really didn't have a lot to lose by continually sending LeFlore out there over and over again until he succeeded. The 2014 Orioles, on the other hand, are in 1st place and have a lot more at stake than did those Tigers teams that LeFlore played on in the mid-1970's.

AND

B) LeFlore had spent several years in prison, and was already 26 years-old when the Tigers promoted him and plugged him into their starting lineup in 1974. Schoop, on the other hand, is only 21 years-old, and he also had a much more extensive minor league career than did LeFlore.

But ......... the force-feeding into the starting lineup of a player that had not hit well at the highest levels of the minors (LeFlore in fact, had virtually no career above the A-level in the minors) is what is similar, and why I find it interesting.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lefloro01.shtml

Thanks for bearing with me. ) :o

o

o

(THREE YEARS LATER)

Schoop is having his best season to date, and like Ron LeFlore, made his first All-Star team relatively early in his career.

If he cannot necessarily keep up his current 2017 OPS pace of .883, it would be nice if his OBP could at least stay in the neighborhood that it currently is (.342.

o

• 2 weeks later...

Archived