Orioles in 1st place

oldbird

Maybe it's just me, but this 2016 team reminds me of ANOTHER anniversary team. There are similarities, but they aren't EXACT.

That team is the 1986 Orioles. They played pretty well, reaching a season-high 12 games over .500 on August 5, 1986 (my 20th birthday), then fell completely apart, mostly because of horrific pitching. As a matter of fact, the August 6th game, in my opinion, was the kickoff of the serious decline in Orioles' baseball. That was the game where they battled back by hitting 2 grand slams in the game, only to lose to Texas 13-11.

This year's team plays better defense than the 1986 team, but the pitching is what ultimately undid them. Their hitting also fell off quite a bit after that August 6th game.

I hope the results are different this year...but it's something that's stuck in my head recently watching this team.

Little comparison between those two teams, imho. Cal led that team with 25 HRs for the entire season. Trumbo already has 27. Third base on that team was split between Floyd Rayford and Tom O'Malley. Manny is a bit better than those two. Jonathan Schoop vs. Alan Wiggins??? please. Their starting rotation of Boddicker, Flanagan, Davis, McGregor, Ken Dixon was mediocre at the time but all had ERAs under 5 and Storm was under 4. As a group their starters were a little better than ours though Tillman is a better performer this year than any of the 1986 group. Our bullpen is light years better than the 1986 group. Don Aase is nowhere near Zach. Their next group of Rich Bordi, Brad Havens, Nate Snell, Odell Jones are not comparable to O'Day (when back), Brach, Bundy, Givens at all. I also think their offense was nowhere near as good as this group. They scored 707 runs in the entire season and we are on a pace to score 830, almost a run more per game. This team may yet be able to overcome terrible pitching from 4 and 5 slots with their offense, defense. The 1986 group overplayed in the first half and fell to their talent level in the second half, imho.

• Upvote 1

Pretty unusual for one team to have played 4 more games at the ASB than the other. Orioles will have played 87 and the Jays 91 at the break. So this business about the Jays catching us by the break is really a bit of a red herring. They are 3 games back in the loss column as of tonight's games.

BLUE JAYS LOSE !!!

BLUE JAYS LOSE !!!

BLUE JAYS LOSE !!!

BLUE JAYS LOSE !!!

BLUE JAYS LOSE !!!

BLUE JAYS LOSE !!!

o

BLUE JAYS LOSE !!!

BLUE JAYS LOSE !!!

BLUE JAYS LOSE !!!

BLUE JAYS LOSE !!!

BLUE JAYS LOSE !!!

BLUE JAYS LOSE !!!

o

We need to win today, and get some breathing room!

o

ORIOLES WIN !!!

ORIOLES WIN !!!

ORIOLES WIN !!!

ORIOLES WIN !!!

ORIOLES WIN !!!

ORIOLES WIN !!!

o

o

BALTIMORE ORIOLES,)OOOOOOOOOOoo... 51-36 OOOll.)o - -

BOSTON RED SOX OOOOOOOOOOOOOO..ooo, 49-38 OOOo)..o 2.0

TORONTO BLUE JAYS o)lOOOOOOOOOOo.. 51-40 OOOOo..l 2.0