Hunter Harvey, stud

Frobby

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully mcdonalds career is the mid range of what Harvey can achieve. Certainly can't be a disappointment if that is all it would be (not that anyone is saying McDonald is a comp) but I am hoping for a 3-6 year stretch of seriously dominate Oriole pitching with Bundy, Gausman and eventually Harvey. Not a new calvery, something even better!

#veryexcitedforthisgroup

It would be really hard to show that McDonald's college career impacted his pro career. He'd thrown about 1,000 pro innings before he got hurt.

McDonald was a top of the line college prospect, sure thing, right up there with the likes of a Steven Strasburg and was never ever the quality pitcher in the majors he could/should have been.

Boras claims it was because he was a product of the times, when college pitchers started and would close the next game.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2009-06-02-ben-mcdonald-cover_N.htm

Big Ben made his 16 million dollars, and is living the good life. He also has HOF broadcasting talent, should he desire another baseball career. He probably wouldn't trade lives with too many people.

So far tonight: 4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 6 K's. He's thrown 65 pitches so we'll see if they let him go much further (he only threw 55 pitches in his first outing).

Oops, jinxed him, as he allowed a homer, a walk, a single and two runs in the fifth, while throwing 23 pitches. I assume he's done now. 5 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 3 BB's 6 K's. Good outing but he clearly tired in the 5th. I'm actually a bit surprised they let him stay out there that entire inning.

Yes, he is stud in the making. One of my bold predictions for the minor league season is Hunter Harvey establishing himself at a Top 20 prospect in the game. Off to a great start!

Will never understand how he didn't go higher in the draft considering he had no college commitment. I though that alone at the time would have someone "reach" for him. Bet the Blue Jays wish they took at number 11 instead of Phil Bickford, who's now at Cal State Fullerton.

He was fairly inconsistent all spring. Started off the season with a big jump in stuff, then saw his velocity drop down and his breaker was hot and cold, start to start. He went around where folks expected he would -- when he showed up in the NY/Penn the stuff was demonstrably better than it was three months prior. Enough so that scouts who received advanced notes from the amateur side were shocked at the difference.

So far tonight: 4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 6 K's. He's thrown 65 pitches so we'll see if they let him go much further (he only threw 55 pitches in his first outing).

Oops, jinxed him, as he allowed a homer, a walk, a single and two runs in the fifth, while throwing 23 pitches. I assume he's done now. 5 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 3 BB's 6 K's. Good outing but he clearly tired in the 5th. I'm actually a bit surprised they let him stay out there that entire inning.

Will be interesting to watch this summer. Huge upside; will have his first taste of more advanced bats and going deeper into games. Text from spring training had him 93-97, solid secondaries, and command starting to show.

Hunter pitched very well last night. His pitches are fun to watch. His pitches move about very nicely. On the negative side, I was surprised at his immature reactions to what may have been missed calls by the ump. He comes from a baseball family and his father was an All Star pitcher, surely they must have taught him that showing up the ump will not help him get close calls in the future. When you stand on the mound and throw your head back and arms down in "disbelief" you don't make a favorable impression on any one. The ump handled it well even though Hunter did this on multiple occasions during the first three innings. Hunter is a competitive kid, but he must become a competitive man. On the positive side, Hunter handled the HR off him very well and it did not appear to affect his pitching.

I thought some folks might be interested.

Bit far for me.

I haven't been there yet, its on my to-do list, and hopefully, will be there the later part of May.

Hard to done there during the work week.

Maybe we will get lucky and get one of our Eastern shore OHers to drop in and give up a scouting report! :)

I haven't been there yet, its on my to-do list, and hopefully, will be there the later part of May.

Hard to done there during the work week.

Maybe we will get lucky and get one of our Eastern shore OHers to drop in and give up a scouting report! :)

Or just get one from the group of scouts that are sure to be there.

Archived