Hunter Harvey, stud

Frobby

Biggg time praise. Absolutely LOVING that we got this kid where we did. Gausman, Bundy, Harvey, and Rodriguez is a fantastic stable of arms, it would be tiresome to get into another discussion of the current crop vs. the cavalry but let's just say I think we're doing alright on that front. :)

Certainly you can see why DD would see giving up a first-rounder as a viable decision considering this pick (I see how this could be turned around on me, but I think you all will know what I'm trying to say: we're ahead of the game with getting Harvey at 22).

I would just like to say he gave up multiple first round picks.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KLaw published his write up of last night's game.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/keith-law/post?id=2265

Insider only :(

Synopsis: Harvey has 40ish command on his FB with plus sink and a fringe-y change. Curve ball is his out-pitch. Money quote: "I have heard of better velocity from Harvey, but 92-94 with this kind of sink and a swing-and-miss curveball will be a deadly combination if he can just work in an average changeup."

Synopsis: Harvey has 40ish command on his FB with plus sink and a fringe-y change. Curve ball is his out-pitch. Money quote: "I have heard of better velocity from Harvey, but 92-94 with this kind of sink and a swing-and-miss curveball will be a deadly combination if he can just work in an average changeup."

Below average command?

Below average command?

Hmm...considering his quotes after the game, that is a tiny bit odd, he felt his command was pretty good I thought. However, if he was able to dominate the way he did throwing only a handful of offspeed pitches and his fastball command is fringe ML average, he needs a promotion so he can be challenged a bit.

If his fastball has the amount of sink to it that it sounds, it does take a little while to master the command of it.....think Britton.

Hmm...considering his quotes after the game, that is a tiny bit odd, he felt his command was pretty good I thought. However, if he was able to dominate the way he did throwing only a handful of offspeed pitches and his fastball command is fringe ML average, he needs a promotion so he can be challenged a bit.

If his fastball has the amount of sink to it that it sounds, it does take a little while to master the command of it.....think Britton.

He did say he was fearlessly working inside to both left and right handed hitters. That doesn't sound like someone with fringe command.

Below average command?
He did say he was fearlessly working inside to both left and right handed hitters. That doesn't sound like someone with fringe command.

Yea, but isn't the scale 70 for top of the line? So 40 would seem pretty poor to me as well, I thought it odd when I read it, but figured it was just my ignorance..ha. I know it's Law and all, but is he rating the command too low or is that really an issue? Seriously just curious....

I suspect Law is grading against a major league curve. There's nothing wrong with NOT blowing smoke up his butt like he's ready to be the next Verlander. I actually like the idea of not inflating these guys like they're ready to be Curt Schilling with a bloody sock.

I suspect Law is grading against a major league curve. There's nothing wrong with NOT blowing smoke up his butt like he's ready to be the next Verlander. I actually like the idea of not inflating these guys like they're ready to be Curt Schilling with a bloody sock.

Right. Now, if Law said he projects to have "40" command, thats a different story. The term "plus" gets thrown around too much regarding prospects.

More from Baseball Prospectus:

There’s high risk here because Harvey is young and there’s much more development to go. His floor is lower than his fellow pitching prospects in the Orioles system, Dylan Bundy and Kevin Gausman. But Harvey was amped to pitch against fellow top prospect Lucas Giolito. His fastball was explosive out of his hand and got on hitters quickly. He generates easy velocity from plus arm speed and a clean delivery. He would bust righties inside with 94, then cut it away at 91 with the fastball and it was sick. His curveball is a true hammer and will be a weapon at the highest level. The changeup is a work in progress but I trust the development of it because of the arm action. Harvey is presently more of a thrower than pitcher and the overall command profile needs refinement but Harvey has the skill set and determination to do that. The things that stood out to me the most were Harvey’s demeanor and mentality. He kept cool and collected but was pissed when he gave up a hit and hit two batters. Not to the extent of it being inappropriate but he was mad at himself for not blowing it by the hitter. Also, he has a killer instinct on the mound. He has a “here it is, come and hit it” mentality and that’s what I want from a pitcher. I love this guy.

Future on pitches - FB - 70, CB -70, CH - 60

Role: 70, No. 2 Starter

The rest of the write-up is available publicly below.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=23340

I liked this part:

I had an awesome time watching two of the premier pitching prospects in the game duel. Both seemed hyped up for the occasion and it showed. They punched out a combined 13 while only giving up three hits. They also broke three bats combined. If I had to choose one, I would choose Giolito based on the elite power stuff. But if it were Game 7 of the World Series and I want a killer on the mound to win it all, give me Hunter Harvey.

More from Baseball Prospectus:

There?s high risk here because Harvey is young and there?s much more development to go. His floor is lower than his fellow pitching prospects in the Orioles system, Dylan Bundy and Kevin Gausman. But Harvey was amped to pitch against fellow top prospect Lucas Giolito. His fastball was explosive out of his hand and got on hitters quickly. He generates easy velocity from plus arm speed and a clean delivery. He would bust righties inside with 94, then cut it away at 91 with the fastball and it was sick. His curveball is a true hammer and will be a weapon at the highest level. The changeup is a work in progress but I trust the development of it because of the arm action. Harvey is presently more of a thrower than pitcher and the overall command profile needs refinement but Harvey has the skill set and determination to do that. The things that stood out to me the most were Harvey?s demeanor and mentality. He kept cool and collected but was pissed when he gave up a hit and hit two batters. Not to the extent of it being inappropriate but he was mad at himself for not blowing it by the hitter. Also, he has a killer instinct on the mound. He has a ?here it is, come and hit it? mentality and that?s what I want from a pitcher. I love this guy.

Future on pitches - FB - 70, CB -70, CH - 60

Role: 70, No. 2 Starter

The rest of the write-up is available publicly below.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=23340

"also plus-plus hair flow"

:2yay-thumb::2yay-thumb:

BA prospect chat:

John (CT): Hunter Harvey is off to a fast start. He seems to be the tools to be a frontline starter. What are the scouts saying?

Ben Badler: He looks electric. You don’t see teenagers with the type of velocity and life on his fastball who are able to command it like he can, then back it up with a plus breaking ball. I’m not saying they need to or even should move him now, but if they bumped him up a level tomorrow, I don’t think he’d have and problems handing it. Looks every bit like a frontline starter.

Wow ..Thanks guys!

" Did what I was born to do."

Thats impressive in so many ways! I love the fire and it reminds me of a guy in my profession that says something similar and is always a top guy.

Archived