Faust, Shaq, and Roddy Peters to Transfer

Probably just trying to use that as an excuse so he can play right away. We'll be better next year than we were this year.

Not sure about that. Thought I read something that his sister was transferring from Towson for the same reason.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm actually more optimistic now then I was before all the transfers happened. I like the players that are coming in. I also like that Turgeon may be changing his offense to a more uptempo style.

I'm actually more optimistic now then I was before all the transfers happened. I like the players that are coming in. I also like that Turgeon may be changing his offense to a more uptempo style.

Emulating the NBA champions style of play usually isn't a bad thing. I think they can really make some noise next year.

Been following along with this thread, thanks for all the updates to everyone. Really a lot of changes and still not sure what to make of them, guessing my interest in MD basketball will return next year....but glad to at least some positive interest in the team makeup after all these changes.

So glad you didn't post that about Mitchell before he was gone VaTech, because I really enjoyed watching and cheering for him, in a bad season he seemed to have a spark and smile which made some of the games a bit more enjoyable. Of course after he had to sit a game (can't even remember why now), I thought their may be issues with his character, but had been hoping for the best.

Hopefully the new crew can provide a spark and make the games fun to watch (has to be better than last year).

Do you really believe what you say?? Turgeon has not got it right in four years here. I have zero faith he has it right now. Good coaches like Gary Williams take that talent and make it work. Bad coaches like Turgeon find excuses to lose and wish those transfers all the best when they head out of town

Turgeon hasn't been off to a good start at MD, but let's not act like he hasn't has some success at other places. Places that are harder to win at then MD. He is replacing the talent that he lost with better talent, IMO. I understand why people are down on Turgeon, but I still think the future is bright for this program.

Turgeon hasn't been off to a good start at MD, but let's not act like he hasn't has some success at other places. Places that are harder to win at then MD. He is replacing the talent that he lost with better talent, IMO. I understand why people are down on Turgeon, but I still think the future is bright for this program.

Pretty much how I feel too...but if he can't win with this class he's got coming, there's a serious problem.

However, if he and his staff can lock down Dorsey and possibly Diamond Stone (which is incredible UMD is in the convo for a top 5 player again), we may finally realize how valuable he can be to this program...hopefully talent translates to winning.

How many times at Maryland????????

If he can do it four straight years at Texas A&M, he can certainly do it at MD. It's been three years, it takes time to build a program. If there isn't big improvement within the next two years, then I will agree there is a problem.

Another thing that bothers me about Turgeon is he seems to recruit too many soft players. Layman is hurt, Martin is hurt. Allen who transferred out was hurt both his freshman and sophomore years. Even Len, although not hurt, played soft. There seems to be no physicality to Maryland's game and I find that troublesome as we head into the Big Ten. Just my two cents

Injured players and playing "soft" are unrelated. I get what you are saying but these are two separate issues.

Also I think you mean Reed instead of Martin (he's not the hood kid). Both him and Layman should be ready for the season to start though.

• 7 months later...

Turgeon named media B1G Coach of the Year & earlier named semi-finalist for National Coach of the Year. Melo (1st team), Dez (1st), & Jake (3rd) accumulate All B1G honors. Trimble will be on several All-American teams. Terps finish in the final top 10 for the first time since the Natty season. Most wins ever for the team in the regular season & undefeated at home in B1G play.

Re-reading through the comments after the transfers was fun to see with all the up & down emotions. I'm glad Turgeon could prove me wrong & has really brought this team together. I would have been happy with just a winning season but now they are going in as the hottest team that are legitimate B1G title contenders & I will be disappointed with anything less than a Sweet 16 appearance in the NCAA's (I'm lying, I want to see them in the Final Four & more).

Even if they have an early exit in both, this whole season has definitely pointed Maryland in the right direction for the future (finally!).

I am backing Turgeon on this, but he is definitely on thin ice. How he handles this mess and gets the program pointed in the right direction will dictate whether he survives as coach. Maybe he did make some promises to the incoming freshmen class. Maybe not. I recently heard John Caliprari on the Junkies saying you never make playing time promises to kids. You've got to let the kids' play determine their minutes. Makes total sense. In any case I've got to question Allen's character. Quitting on his team and coach when the program already took a huge hit with the other three transfers. He is coming off as really selfish and immature. I like what Dez Wells said in his tweets. Hopefully the remaining players, especially Wells with all that he has been through, have the maturity to handle this adversity and move forward.

We'll see about Trimble. I have a feeling this kid will go a long away to determine Turgeon's success at Maryland.

Congrats. Most accurate post in the thread. Much better than mine!

Archived