Faust, Shaq, and Roddy Peters to Transfer

Again, feel free to make fun of my Twitter investigations but a few more interesting things have popped up. Layman, Wells, and Smotrycz all sent out tweets in support of the program over the past couple of hours. Layman doesn't tweet often either. It almost seemed semi-planned. I might be reading a little too much into this but I wouldn't be surprised in Turgeon sat down with those three and told them that they were the leaders of this team and that he wanted them to show that support.

Also Wells had some interesting tweets that seem to be digs at Allen. He also just sent out this one:

"You not happy? Okay, well go get happy & tell me how that goes."

Yesterday:

@Dez32Wells It doesnt seem like any of these kids can deal with 1/4 of the adversity youve been through smh

@B1gDMV last of a dying breed

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, Turgeon tweeted two things despite not having tweeted anything since February.

@CoachTurgeon 3m

I'll miss the guys leaving, but I love the commitment of our returning players and the class we have coming in #TerpNation

@CoachTurgeon 3m

"Adversity only visits the strong but takes up residency with the weak."

What a disaster. The whole department is a disaster. I admire Coach Frese for her ability to build and sustain such an awesome and proud program with all this crap going on around her.

Yeah--same with the chess team.----And the checker team as well.:)

Some more comments from Turgeon and Trimble. http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/seth-allen-is-fourth-maryland-mens-basketball-player-to-transfer-this-offseason/2014/05/02/f722e3e2-d23f-11e3-937f-d3026234b51c_story.html:

Turgeon:

“I liked Seth,” Coach Mark Turgeon said. “I liked coaching Seth. I’m going to miss Seth. He’s a heck of a player. I’m sad he’s gone. I’m going to miss him and his family. I really liked his family. You’re disappointed. But I’m also excited about the guys I have returning and the guys I have coming in...Four is a high number,” Turgeon said. “There’s no doubt. People are going to view the program the way they want to view the program. I know how I’m viewing the program. I think we have a good group coming back that believes in Maryland basketball and a good group coming in, and I’m excited about the future.”

Trimble:

“He said next year it’s going to be tough,” Trimble said Friday. “I almost have to play the whole game, see a lot of minutes, stuff like that. I didn’t want to hear that. I wanted to come in and work hard and have him push me. I wanted to get to College Park and earn my minutes.”

Turgeon Taking Some Responsibility:

Turgeon said in an interview with The Baltimore Sun that he has to “take total blame” for the departures.

“You don't lose four guys and say, ‘Oh, it can't be me,' ” Turgeon said. “This is new territory for me. This has never happened” during his career as a head coach.

Allen's AAU coach had to do with the "fit.”:

“A fit is everything — it's relationships, coaches, players, how they're going to play offensively and defensively,” said Craig Boothe, who coached Allen on the Northern Virginia-based Hoop Booth team. “There was an uncomfortability that exacerbated over time.

“A coach has every right to re-evaluate the player and the fit of the player based on behavior and academics and whether or not to retain that player or recruit another player on him. Players can say the same thing and reassess their situations. … I think it's not fair to say when a player makes a decision and says, ‘I've got to move on,' it's necessarily based on a problem.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bal-seth-allen-to-transfer-from-maryland-20140502,0,98026.story

Allen's AAU coach had to do with the "fit.”:

“A fit is everything — it's relationships, coaches, players, how they're going to play offensively and defensively,” said Craig Boothe, who coached Allen on the Northern Virginia-based Hoop Booth team. “There was an uncomfortability that exacerbated over time.

“A coach has every right to re-evaluate the player and the fit of the player based on behavior and academics and whether or not to retain that player or recruit another player on him. Players can say the same thing and reassess their situations. … I think it's not fair to say when a player makes a decision and says, ‘I've got to move on,' it's necessarily based on a problem.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bal-seth-allen-to-transfer-from-maryland-20140502,0,98026.story

Maybe they need to re-think the pros and especially cons of their recruiting strategies.

And do anything they can to get Seth Allen to change his mind. Losing him is a gigantic problem.

Maybe they need to re-think the pros and especially cons of their recruiting strategies.

And do anything they can to get Seth Allen to change his mind. Losing him is a gigantic problem.

I wouldn't mind an infusion of some Gary Williams branded "heart" players to really stabilize this team.

So we're looking at:

Trimble/?

Dez/Wiley

Layman/Nickens

Mitchell or Smot/Dodd/Graham

Cekovsky/Reed

I mean, it's not all that bad. Can't be worse than last year filled with dumb mistakes and close losses.

It would be ideal to find a backup PG transfer that can come play right away because we're going to need one. It's that or rely on a walk-on.

So we're looking at:

Trimble/?

Dez/Wiley

Layman/Nickens

Cekovsky/Reed

I mean, it's not all that bad. Can't be worse than last year filled with dumb mistakes and close losses.

It would be ideal to find a backup PG transfer that can come play right away because we're going to need one. It's that or rely on a walk-on.

http://www.testudotimes.com/2014/4/25/5650532/ian-chiles-maryland-transfer-rumors?utm_source=testudotimes&utm_medium=nextclicks&utm_campaign=articlebottom

This guy looks pretty good in nice scoring for a terrible team, but his TOV is also very good and the most intriguing.

Bold prediction... next big news item is going to be Trimble asking out of his commitment.

Trimble sounds as cocky as can be for an incoming freshman, I bet he's loving the opportunity for even more playing time. Highly doubt he goes anywhere.

I am backing Turgeon on this, but he is definitely on thin ice. How he handles this mess and gets the program pointed in the right direction will dictate whether he survives as coach. Maybe he did make some promises to the incoming freshmen class. Maybe not. I recently heard John Caliprari on the Junkies saying you never make playing time promises to kids. You've got to let the kids' play determine their minutes. Makes total sense. In any case I've got to question Allen's character. Quitting on his team and coach when the program already took a huge hit with the other three transfers. He is coming off as really selfish and immature. I like what Dez Wells said in his tweets. Hopefully the remaining players, especially Wells with all that he has been through, have the maturity to handle this adversity and move forward.

We'll see about Trimble. I have a feeling this kid will go a long away to determine Turgeon's success at Maryland.

So we're looking at:

Trimble/?

Dez/Wiley

Layman/Nickens

Cekovsky/Reed

It has the potential to be a decent team. The thing is we have no idea if Cekovsky and Reed are going to be able to step right in and play or if they are going to need more time to develop. The team is also one injury away from having serious issues in the backcourt unless they pick up a solid transfer. If Trimble went down the team, Varun Ram would suddenly be your starting point guard. Hoping whoever they bring in as a transfer is decent.

I'm getting really frustrated reading fans explaining how losing Seth Allen is actually going to help this team. They are basically trying to make themselves feel better and also explain the program's failure. Not having him is going to hurt this team no matter what way you try and frame it to me. Unless he was truly a cancer in the locker room (which was never once indicated by any actions he took or any rumors until all this went down), I cannot for the life of me understand people who are trying to turn this into a good thing or act like he wasn't talented. He was quite clearly the best offensive player on the court for us most of the time he was healthy.

I personally can't say losing a Charles Mitchell will be good either. He was emotional, and lacked length, but the guy was a good rebounder. As simple as that. He will be missed if he leaves.

Faust is the only player who's absence will actually improve this team. He hurt this team with his truly idiotic play. His presence as a senior would have been an issue most likely had he stayed. Shaq wasn't good but was more of a non-factor than a straight detriment to the team. Plus he would have seen very few minutes had he stuck around and didn't seem like the type to be too upset. Roddy's presence would have been welcomed. Sure, he didn't have a jump shot but I'm sure the team would have loved to have him (even more so now that Allen is leaving).

Seth Allen is a talented player and this hurts the program. No doubt Turgeon wanted him to stay.

I think Allen is an idiot to leave. He was going to start and get big minutes in the Big10. Bad move by Allen.

Archived