Faust, Shaq, and Roddy Peters to Transfer

It's time to eat Turgeon's contract and find a new coach. I can deal with a few down years but when you have this many transfers and all of this turmoil the HC has to go.

I'd like to see what he can do with the new class first. Plus there's no chance they eat the rest of his contract when the school is already hurting for money. Now if they are in the same or worse position next year I hope they give him the boot no matter the cost.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where have you gone Gary Williams, Terp Nation turns its lonely eyes to you boo hoo hoo. I've tried to be patient with Turgeon and trust people who know basketball better than I do, who maintain he's a good coach. But enough is enough.

I can understand Faust, Cleare and even Peters leaving for a better opportunity. I just can't buy that Allen wants to leave because he's afraid of losing minutes to an incoming freshman. That could be the case, but I think it's much more likely he's running away from playing his best years of basketball for a program in flux, which btw is switching to a stronger conference.

Allen is arguably our most talented player (along with Wells). He shouldn't worry about playing time. Maybe Seth wants to play PG and Turgeon wants Trimble in that spot, but my gut says it's bigger than that. Maybe he sees a mediocre (at best) in-game coach who throws his players under the bus and even worse, questions their effort. When Turgeon chased Stoglin out of College Park, I thought it was a good sign that he was taking control of the program and making it his own. But perhaps it was an ominous sign of people not willing to follow him.

I know the contract makes him difficult to fire, but I'd be happy if he was gone tomorrow. What good is recruiting if you can't coach? I think he officially lost me when we played at UNC this year. UNC couldn't miss to start the game. Their crowd was going nuts. Turgeon waits until we're down something like 12-0 before he calls a timeout and somehow decides to bring the same five players back out on the floor. Mind boggling.

I know the contract makes him difficult to fire, but I'd be happy if he was gone tomorrow. What good is recruiting if you can't coach? I think he officially lost me when we played at UNC this year. UNC couldn't miss to start the game. Their crowd was going nuts. Turgeon waits until we're down something like 12-0 before he calls a timeout and somehow decides to bring the same five players back out on the floor. Mind boggling.

Heck, what good is recruiting if you can't keep or develop any of the guys you do recruit?

With Allen leaving now, who else besides Melo will run point?

http://www.testudotimes.com/2014/5/2/5668786/seth-allen-maryland-transfer

Graduate transfer likely. Maryland is left with Trimble, Wells, and Wiley as their only guards currently. The thing is this team could still be a bubble type next year if Trimble really steps up. Unfortunately, I think there is zero chance of them being a truly good team (more than a bubble team) without Allen and Mitchell.

There is some talk that Allen understands his only chance of playing at the next level is if he plays a PG and he sees Trimble coming in and taking some of his minutes away. He may want to be "the man" at point wherever he is so he can develop as much as possible. There was a chance he would be playing 2 guard or 6th man role this year at UMD. Whatever the case, there is something bad in the water down in College Park. I don't think the players trust Turgeon truthfully.

I kind of hope they implode next year instead of sneaking in as a bubble team because I haven't seen and don't foresee any progression in the program as a whole even if they do sneak in the tourney. Of course, maybe Layman and Dodd step up and maybe Trimble, Wiley, Reed, and Cekovsky are able to produce right away. If so, this team could be more than a bubble team. But I seriously doubt that happens with Turgeon's current track record at Maryland.

I just don't get it anymore. Allen isn't afraid of losing minutes. What are players little pussies now? A good freshman comes in and a junior starter is afraid he will take all his minutes? That's some weak garbage.

Regardless, this team is going to suck next year again. Unless they just amaze me and players develop into something astounding.

It's frustrating to read all these fans downplaying losing these guys, saying how it will be good for the team anyways, and saying how Trimble is going to be better than Allen anyways. Seth Allen was the best offensive player on the court at times last year. Wells scores well in transition but Allen was the only player that could shoot from distance, drive, and create his own shot. Additionally, from all indications he was a great kid. He worked hard to come back from his injury and helped the team dramatically when he came back.

People rip on Charles Mitchell too. He has his limitations mainly because of his lack of height but the guy was a very good rebounder and pretty much the only useful post man UMD had last year. Even if he wasnt going to start this year he was going to get good minutes and be a solid energy player down low. He was a guy that showed his emotions but now for some reason people are saying that is a bad thing. I would much rather have someone like him who clearly cared than someone who was quiet but didn't give a crap really.

I just don't get it anymore. Allen isn't afraid of losing minutes. What are players little pussies now? A good freshman comes in and a junior starter is afraid he will take all his minutes? That's some weak garbage.

Regardless, this team is going to suck next year again. Unless they just amaze me and players develop into something astounding.

I know. I don't think he should feel like this but I almost assume Turgeon said something or made it clear that he made a promise to Trimble or something. Otherwise I don't know why Allen would be so afraid of losing minutes. He was clearly our best or second best player when he came back.

What a disaster. The whole department is a disaster. I admire Coach Frese for her ability to build and sustain such an awesome and proud program with all this crap going on around her.

It's frustrating to read all these fans downplaying losing these guys, saying how it will be good for the team anyways, and saying how Trimble is going to be better than Allen anyways. Seth Allen was the best offensive player on the court at times last year. Wells scores well in transition but Allen was the only player that could shoot from distance, drive, and create his own shot. Additionally, from all indications he was a great kid. He worked hard to come back from his injury and helped the team dramatically when he came back.

People rip on Charles Mitchell too. He has his limitations mainly because of his lack of height but the guy was a very good rebounder and pretty much the only useful post man UMD had last year. Even if he wasnt going to start this year he was going to get good minutes and be a solid energy player down low. He was a guy that showed his emotions but now for some reason people are saying that is a bad thing. I would much rather have someone like him who clearly cared than someone who was quiet but didn't give a crap really.

Every individual instance can be explained away. The whole of it all cannot.

What a disaster. The whole department is a disaster. I admire Coach Frese for her ability to build and sustain such an awesome and proud program with all this crap going on around her.

Every individual instance can be explained away. The whole of it all cannot.

Agreed. I'm tired of people justifying everything. I've been patient with Turgeon. Sink or swim this year. Like I said I don't just want him to sneak into the tourney and lose in the 1st round. I want big improvements this year. I want to see players actually progress under his coaching.

Agreed. I'm tired of people justifying everything. I've been patient with Turgeon. Sink or swim this year. Like I said I don't just want him to sneak into the tourney and lose in the 1st round. I want big improvements this year. I want to see players actually progress under his coaching.

I have never Coached basketball but I have with baseball and football. Turgeon brought in players HE recruited and he can't coach them up, manage the game, or deal with his program there are serious problems. Time to move on.

I have never Coached basketball but I have with baseball and football. Turgeon brought in players HE recruited and he can't coach them up, manage the game, or deal with his program there are serious problems. Time to move on.

They won't eat his contract without at least one spectacular embarrassment of a season.

I am still wonder how someone with his resume got such a substantial contract?

Allen is now officially gone as Maryland has made a press release. This is a gut shot for me.

That's just brutal. When can we start talking about firing Anderson? He's the one that gave Turgeon this long contract and allowed him to run the program into the ground. These are his recruits bolting on him now. This says a lot if you ask me. I barely watch last year's team because it was so boring and honestly, I think I might be done with this program until Turgeon is gone. Besides, I'll be more interested in the Wrestling team at Maryland the next four to five years anyways! ;)

That sums it up in one sentence!

Archived