MLBTRADERUMORS: Matt Moore To have the Tommy John Surgery

weams

You need to read more closely is all, I wasn't referring to having surgery in that post.

If you choose to rehab the tear, rather then have the surgery, the success rate is about 12%. The was the path that Moore hoped to take.

Ah, cheers. Makes sense, I didn't read the full article. :D

btw, I wasn't trying to be snarky with the initial post, I was genuinely curious, and for some reason my initial thought was that there was some kind of joke going on that I was not in on. And I like jokes.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

btw, I wasn't trying to be snarky with the initial post, I was genuinely curious, and for some reason my initial thought was that there was some kind of joke going on that I was not in on. And I like jokes.

I didn't take it that way at all.

I didn't take it that way at all.

I find this exchange funny. Maybe funny isn't the right word.

That meant they paid him five times what he would have made for his first three years. With paying him half as much as he Could have made in arbitration.

The option years are probably cheap as well

Indeed they are. 7M, 9M, and finally 10M for 2019 if the Rays pick them up.

All in all, assuming they pick up all of those options, they will have paid Matt Moore about $37M for 8 years of service. Just astounding.

Compare to an ace like David Price who (assuming he walks after this year or they trade him) they will have paid about 34M for 7 years.

It's kinda like getting an entire extra season for free. Although now that he has to have Tommy John it admittedly loses a bit of its luster, but this year he is only due $1M anyway.

Indeed they are. 7M, 9M, and finally 10M for 2019 if the Rays pick them up.

All in all, assuming they pick up all of those options, they will have paid Matt Moore about $37M for 8 years of service. Just astounding.

Compare to an ace like David Price who (assuming he walks after this year or they trade him) they will have paid about 34M for 7 years.

It's kinda like getting an entire extra season for free. Although now that he has to have Tommy John it admittedly loses a bit of its luster, but this year he is only due $1M anyway.

But he is not an ace.

An astounding deal is getting a Wei Chen for four years at 18 million.

The AAV of those two contracts are both around $4.5M, so I would argue that the longer contract (8 years for Moore) is much better.

Moore was once touted as the best pitching prospect in Rays history

(http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/matt-moore-tampa-bays-best-ever-pitching-prospect/)

So I think you have to take that into context as well when they signed the 8 year deal. It really is incredibly remarkable. But again, if Moore continues to struggle with his command and/or get injured, then obviously it becomes less impressive.....but thankfully for them the assumed risk is very very low and they can cut him after '16 without being out too much guaranteed cash if they want to.

But he is not an ace.

Are you talking about Moore or Price in that statement?

Moore is a TOR pitcher who could start opening day for a number of clubs, including the Orioles. At worst he is a rock solid #2. Tampa was starting him 3rd because they have (had) and insane rotation. 8 yr/$37 mil is highway robbery compared to the market. And, if you doubled Chen's contract you'd get 8 yr/$36 mil which is nearly the exact number Moore is getting.

Price is an ace in every sense of the word until proven otherwise. But of course he's going through arbitration years. He could have gotten more than his $14 mil deal in arbitration if he had won.

Moore is a TOR pitcher who could start opening day for a number of clubs, including the Orioles. At worst he is a rock solid #2. Tampa was starting him 3rd because they have (had) and insane rotation. 8 yr/$37 mil is highway robbery compared to the market. And, if you doubled Chen's contract you'd get 8 yr/$36 mil which is nearly the exact number Moore is getting.

Price is an ace in every sense of the word until proven otherwise. But of course he's going through arbitration years. He could have gotten more than his $14 mil deal in arbitration if he had won.

Moores was supposed to be a TOR. He is not an Ace. He is Wei Chen. With a bum arm.

The AAV of those two contracts are both around $4.5M, so I would argue that the longer contract (8 years for Moore) is much better.

(http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/matt-moore-tampa-bays-best-ever-pitching-prospect/)

So I think you have to take that into context as well when they signed the 8 year deal. It really is incredibly remarkable. But again, if Moore continues to struggle with his command and/or get injured, then obviously it becomes less impressive.....but thankfully for them the assumed risk is very very low and they can cut him after '16 without being out too much guaranteed cash if they want to.

Dylan Bundy was once touted as the best pitching Prospect in Orioles history. Stephen Strasburg was touted as well. Sometimes, a pitching prospect is all they are. We will see when it is all said and done.

He was an eighth round pick. Maybe he wanted to be a millionaire, for sure, at age 21. Maybe.

Price is an Ace. Moore is not.

Archived