Hardy confused from lack of extension talk

SerenityNow

I'm going to be crystal clear about this: the way Dan Duquette is handling this is low class, and it stinks. And it's not the first time, and I'm getting sick of it.

If Duquette doesn't want to discuss an extension with Hardy right now, that's fine. If he doesn't want to extend him at all, fine. If he wants to wait until after the season to decide, fine. If he wants to postpone to the All Star Break, fine. All of that is Duquette's prerogative.

But what he CAN'T do is WHAT he IS doing -- make several public statements that he's going to try to extend Hardy this spring, and then have no communication with Hardy's agent about what is going on, leaving Hardy to guess and speculate and twist in the wind.

He more or less did the same thing with Reynolds, with Roberts, and to some extent, Jim Johnson. In each case, he made some public statements indicating some interest in retaining the player, then didn't even have the courtesy to call the player's agent to tell them his intentions or his timetable.

I understand that GMs play poker, and you can't take everything they say at face value, but they are dealing with human beings here, and if DD does this too often, with respected key members of the team, the entire clubhouse will take note. JJ Hardy signed a team friendly extension before, was forthright then and now about wanting to stay with the club, and he deserves communication and honesty, at a minimum.

What goes around comes around, Dan. Just wait and see.

Outstanding post, I could not agree more. Thank you.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you guys really think giving Hardy an extension is a good idea?

Assuming that the Orioles agree with me and are not interested in extending Hardy, then what would you have them do?

You want DD to call up Hardy's agent and say hey we're not really going to do that extension thing... but I hope JJ has a bang up year so we can trade him at the deadline or make the QO and get a draft pick back.

JJ and his agent should have no trouble understanding the lack of communication.... your not getting an extension.

Do you guys really think giving Hardy an extension is a good idea?

Assuming that the Orioles agree with me and are not interested in extending Hardy, then what would you have them do?

You want DD to call up Hardy's agent and say hey we're not really going to do that extension thing... but I hope JJ has a bang up year so we can trade him at the deadline or make the QO and get a draft pick back.

JJ and his agent should have no trouble understanding the lack of communication.... your not getting an extension.

First of all, whether I want Hardy extended or not depends on the terms.

Second, my objection is that they've said one thing and done another. Duquette did not need to say publicly that the O's were going to look to extend JJ Hardy this spring. He didn't say it about Davis. He didn't say it about Wieters. He didn't say it about Markakis. But once you've said it about Hardy, you need to be in communication with that player's agent to either follow through, or let him know that circumstances have changed. Even if the player can draw conclusions from a prolonged silence, that is just a shabby way to treat a guy.

Well I agree it's not the best... and I'm not sure of the context/seriousness or circumstances that he made the first statement.

Maybe they did exchange some preliminary framework of an extension and JJ's side was way off from what DD was thinking...

anyhow I just can't get worked up about a player making 10 million dollars, not knowing for sure where his next 40 million is coming from.

Has JJ/agent asked DD point blank what the situation is? Takes two sides to communicate or not communicate.

Isn't that what an agent is paid to do?

Well I agree it's not the best... and I'm not sure of the context/seriousness or circumstances that he made the first statement.

Maybe they did exchange some preliminary framework of an extension and JJ's side was way off from what DD was thinking...

anyhow I just can't get worked up about a player making 10 million dollars, not knowing for sure where his next 40 million is coming from.

Has JJ/agent asked DD point blank what the situation is? Takes two sides to communicate or not communicate.

Isn't that what an agent is paid to do?

If Hardy's agent had that info, Hardy would as well.

Second, my objection is that they've said one thing and done another. Duquette did not need to say publicly that the O's were going to look to extend JJ Hardy this spring. He didn't say it about Davis. He didn't say it about Wieters. He didn't say it about Markakis. But once you've said it about Hardy, you need to be in communication with that player's agent to either follow through, or let him know that circumstances have changed. Even if the player can draw conclusions from a prolonged silence, that is just a shabby way to treat a guy.

You don't know this. He has said he has been in discussions with Hardy's agent more than once. I have every reason to believe he has been in negotiations with Hardy's agent. If anything, the fact that he hasn't made similar statements about Wieters and Davis should make it more obvious that he's not lying. Negotiations often occur at a glacial pace and sometimes are just too far apart to move much further forward. Stuff changes, like Hardy missing half the games with injuries. .

it's amazing how you can state that you have no reason to think that Hardy is not lying and continue to infer the Duquette is being deceitful. Maybe i can pick a better word for amazing here.

Johnson made similar statements and it was obvious that the team was negotiating with his agent. Feldman made similar statements and it was obvious that the team was negotiating with his agent. Burnette made similar statements (about the Orioles and Nationals) and continued to make them to the press so often that his agent finally had to call him out as just being wrong. It's just the way players respond to these questions posed from the press who are trying to dig a story.

You've got this ass backwards in my opinion. Duquette is the one showing the class here, not the players. That even goes for the Balfour situation (i didn't like the procedure, but we didn't get into the dirt like they did).

Crystal.

But again I go back to that being evidence of not "wanting" that player (albeit for that price).

To get us back on track, let me attempt to more clearly restate my concern:

I fear that the FO's tactics/approach may sour players/agents on the organization, and as a result the reputation of the FO could limit the FO's ability to execute its desired strategy.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I think all of the misses this year on free agents boiled down to either economics and/or their desire to play in a less competitive environment.

i could pick and choose a lot of individual complaints and second guesses with Duquette, but I'm overall thrilled with the direction and management of the organization.

Duquette did say this about Davis. The Orioles have some decisions to make over the next two years. Tough to replace -Cruz,Hardy,Wieters,Markakis and Davis.

Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette said Saturday at FanFest that the club offered first baseman Chris Davis a long-term contract extension this winter, but that it really hasnt progressed.

Davis, who finished third in American League Most Valuable Player voting last season, cant be a free agent until after the 2015 season.''

Davis said he didnt think there had been any discussions between the Orioles and his agent, Scott Boras, since last season, and joked that he wanted to know more about what Duquette had said.

Really, did he say anything else? Davis asked, and was told no. Dang. Let me get up to speed on that.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-02-01/sports/bal-baltimore-orioles-executive-vp-dan-duquette-says-club-has-offered-contract-extension-to-chris-davis-20140201_1_free-agent-bullpen-session-extension

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I think all of the misses this year on free agents boiled down to either economics and/or their desire to play in a less competitive environment.

i could pick and choose a lot of individual complaints and second guesses with Duquette, but I'm overall thrilled with the direction and management of the organization.

Didn't you already respond to this post?

I promise you I hope above all hope that my reading of the front office actions and the general direction of the org is way off. This off-season was close to as low as I've felt about the prospects of Baltimore becoming a regular relevant force in baseball.

Maybe Hardy has the same agent as Jim Johnson, Feldman and Burnette.

Or maybe Johnson's, Feldman's, and Burnette's agents know how to make a public showing to help a front office save face once their point has been made. I don't know.

I promise you I hope above all hope that my reading of the front office actions and the general direction of the org is way off. This off-season was close to as low as I've felt about the prospects of Baltimore becoming a regular relevant force in baseball.

Worse then when Syd was in charge? Worse then when they gave away all the draft picks for relief pitchers?

That is saying something!

Worse then when Syd was in charge? Worse then when they gave away all the draft picks for relief pitchers?

That is saying something!

It's more depressing when you feel like the organization is close to breaking through.

Yeah sorry, I meant to reply to your number 153 but got lost in there.

Archived