Batting third, and playing RF - Francisco Peguero

wildcard

It's not that simple, because Young isn't hitting, either. He has a .688 OPS. He's 6-for-27 in May with zero extra-base hits. And while Lough at least serves a purpose as a late-inning defensive replacement, Young has literally no other skills. His only role at this point is to DH against lefties, but Steve Pearce could easily take that job and be just as effective. So, again, why Young over Lough?

It is a belief that Lough saved about 7 runs in May on defense, and he has not played that much.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's what I believe:

- When you're OPSing .443 in semi-regular playing time on Memorial Day it's probably time for a change.

- Competition is great. But a Peguero promotion will be all about rewarding a good few weeks, not expecting a good MLB player to come up.

- Sitting on your hands is often the best option.

- Playing the hot hand is a losing bet, either in gambling or baseball. When you bet on a .727 OPS AAA hitter to continue to OPS .830, the chances are that tomorrow is the day he goes back to .727.

- A .727 OPS player primarily in the PCL will be very lucky to OPS .650 in the majors.

- Averaging 22 walks per 600 PA is not good.

Norfolk is in the PCL?

I get it, I have read all the Peguero stats you guys have been writing. I get it, really. I know Lough has a good glove.

Lough is not performing. Peguero is. The only question to me is can he backup CF. I don't know if he can.

You can easily get him through waivers now and keep both (Peguero is also out of options and would be claimed before Lough IMO).

Lough is not performing. Peguero is. The only question to me is can he backup CF. I don't know if he can.

You can easily get him through waivers now and keep both (Peguero is also out of options and would be claimed before Lough IMO).

Lough would not pass through waivers. He will not. The Red Sox would put him in center.

Peguero has to be called up by Thursday the 29th, or else. He should take Young's place, unless they think he can't hit as well as Young. If they don't think he can hit as well as Young, there is little point in keeping him.

Peguero has to be called up by Thursday the 29th, or else. He should take Young's place, unless they think he can't hit as well as Young. If they don't think he can hit as well as Young, there is little point in keeping him.

I don't think that Peguero can hit as well as Young, but of course there's still a point in keeping him. Unlike Young, he can actually play the outfield. (And) he has speed. There's a lot of value to Peguero that goes beyond a simple bat v bat comparison to Delmon Young.

Look, in taking about losing Markakis and Cruz out of our outfield next year we frequently lament the dirth of outfield talent in our MiL. Well, here is outfield talent, albeit highly speculative. I think this is the kind of guy that DD keeps - high upside guys. I'm confident that Peguero will be with the club on the 29th and one of Young/Lough/Schoop won't be.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived