Batting third, and playing RF - Francisco Peguero

wildcard

God save us if the choice of a 25th man sets us up for failure. :rolleyestf:

God save us if you chose to use consistent, logical decision making.

But I guess it's hard to argue with "we desperately have to replace Lough and call up a 25th man who won't really have any impact. "

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Peguero situation is getting more, and more interesting IMO.

Its has been 10 days on his possible 20 day rehab.

He is hitting: 300/349/325/674, with 6 R, 0 HR, 5 RBI, 3 BB, 11 SO in 40 AB

If he is not promoted in 10 days he has to be DFA'd.

Lough still has a 463 OPS.

Meanwhile, Quintin Berry is hitting 301/375/419/794 in 93 AB.

Which way will DD and Buck go? DFA Lough? DFA Peguero when his rehab is up? Or call him or Berry up?

The Peguero situation is getting more, and more interesting IMO.

Its has been 10 days on his possible 20 day rehab.

He is hitting: 300/349/325/674, with 6 R, 0 HR, 5 RBI, 3 BB, 11 SO in 40 AB

If he is not promoted in 10 days he has to be DFA'd.

Lough still has a 463 OPS.

Meanwhile, Quintin Berry is hitting 301/375/419/794 in 93 AB.

Which way will DD and Buck go? DFA Lough? DFA Peguero when his rehab is up? Or call him or Berry up?

Berry is hot, but he has been cold most of the year. He is def no better than Lough.

Peguero is the only real option IMO.

I think Peguero comes up for Lough if he comes up at all. Lough should pass through waivers easily.

Perhaps you're right. Maybe there's something the organization/scouts see with Peguero's physical skills. They both seem like mediocre 4th outfielder types to me and I'd stick with Lough who I'm pretty comfortable with as a defender and who has shown some signs of life offensively (imo). I just don't see where Young/Pearce are serving a purpose and if Peguero, can hit LHP why not just replace him with Young who is just taking Pearce's AB's anyways.

Longer term maybe we should just retain Almanzar on the rule 5 if they're just going to waste a roster spot like they have been.

I've been a staunch Lough supporter from the moment the O's made the trade. Personally, I feel it could be a mistake to DFA him. If they did, I would hope he would make it through. I just don't know that Peguero is any kind of upgrade. But, I don't really know a whole lot either. :)

That being said I couldn't blame the organization if they decided to swap out Lough for Peguero and OBVIOUSLY so if they were able to slip Lough through and hold on to him. We'll see. I once thought Lough would have a lock on 25 man spot for the whole season. I've slowly come to realize that is probably not the case.

David Lough would probably be OPS 800+ with a .300 average in AAA. He has a better resume than Peguero. There's pretty much little reason, if any, to expect Peguero to do significantly better. He'd probably hit around .200 and not walk at all and we're not sure he's as good a LF as Lough. Peguero will be the one to get put on waivers.

This is pretty much my thinking. The only hedge here would be if they are gambling on some sort of belief about Peguero's physical skills and upside breaking out from his mediocre track record of performance. That seems like a long shot.

I've been a staunch Lough supporter from the moment the O's made the trade. Personally, I feel it could be a mistake to DFA him. If they did, I would hope he would make it through. I just don't know that Peguero is any kind of upgrade. But, I don't really know a whole lot either. :)

That being said I couldn't blame the organization if they decided to swap out Lough for Peguero and OBVIOUSLY so if they were able to slip Lough through and hold on to him. We'll see. I once thought Lough would have a lock on 25 man spot for the whole season. I've slowly come to realize that is probably not the case.

He just looks so helpless at the plate. Even Flash looks better.

Lough still looks like a ML hitter to me. He may not have results but he doesn't swing at a lot of really bad pitches. He's just not doing much with the good ones he does get. He's 3 for his last 15 with 2 walks and 2 strikeouts. That's not good but it's not helpless either. He pulled a couple of line drive hits in KC and hit what would have been a homer in Baltimore on Thursday or Friday.

Lough hits too many weak fly balls. He talks like a guy that understand he should be a OBP hitter but he doesn't execute what he talks. Its not comforting at all to say he should have hit a homer. That doesn't help the kind of hitter he need to be.

After watching the KC series I was under the impression got his average last year at home with the blunders that make it through the infield. It turns out he hit .310 on the road. I just don't know how a guy can do as badly as Lough has so far.

I don't know where else to put this, and since Lough was mentioned in OP I'll say it here. I am not impressed with Lough's defense anymore. I thought he should have caught Billy Butler's double yesterday. Tracked it all the way down and got scared and the ball hit at the start of the warning track. I watched the replay 3 times, he still had another 5-6 ft and was moving horizontal anyways. It was a weird move by Lough IMO. Please get rid of the guy he's terrible. Give me Young out there at least. /endrant

Even with Lough struggling, I thought that was a bizarre move to have him bunt yesterday with 1 out, man on 2nd, after the Hardy double. The first one looked like a drag bunt attempt, but the second one looked like a sacrifice. Either he is extremely stupid, or the O's have completely lost confidence in his ability to get a hit. I would even question having a pitcher sacrifice in that situation as you still need a base hit to get the run in.

Even with Lough struggling, I thought that was a bizarre move to have him bunt yesterday with 1 out, man on 2nd, after the Hardy double. The first one looked like a drag bunt attempt, but the second one looked like a sacrifice. Either he is extremely stupid, or the O's have completely lost confidence in his ability to get a hit. I would even question having a pitcher sacrifice in that situation as you still need a base hit to get the run in.

Announcers were of the opinion that he bunted on his own and agree with you that it was not a good decision.

Announcers were of the opinion that he bunted on his own and agree with you that it was not a good decision.

Wow, I didn't hear that. I wonder if he thought he recognized something in the defense. In that case it was just a horribly executed drag bunt (right back to the pitcher). Maybe he has lost confidence in his own ability to get a base hit. Or a combination.

It's a real shame, he could be the perfect fit for this team. Good defense, lefty bat, stolen base threat. I hope he can put together a hot streak because he is running out of time.

Archived