Batting third, and playing RF - Francisco Peguero

wildcard

The Peguero situation is getting more, and more interesting IMO.

Its has been 10 days on his possible 20 day rehab.

He is hitting: 300/349/325/674, with 6 R, 0 HR, 5 RBI, 3 BB, 11 SO in 40 AB

If he is not promoted in 10 days he has to be DFA'd.

Lough still has a 463 OPS.

Meanwhile, Quintin Berry is hitting 301/375/419/794 in 93 AB.

Which way will DD and Buck go? DFA Lough? DFA Peguero when his rehab is up? Or call him or Berry up?

I'm missing something here. As bad as Lough has played, why would we waive him just to make room for a guy with a sub-.700 OPS at Norfolk????

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm missing something here. As bad as Lough has played, why would we waive him just to make room for a guy with a sub-.700 OPS at Norfolk????

Because if he is an OBP guy he can help the team in that way. Measuring speed guys on OPS is not a good way to assess their value. Say Peguero could produce a 350 OBP. He would be on base for the big guns. Add to that good defense at all three outfield positions and the O's would have what they hoped to get from Lough but having seen yet.

I am not saying that would happen. Just trying to answer your question.

Because if he is an OBP guy he can help the team in that way. Measuring speed guys on OPS is not a good way to assess their value. Say Peguero could produce a 350 OBP. He would be on base for the big guns. Add to that good defense at all three outfield positions and the O's would have what they hoped to get from Lough but having seen yet.

I am not saying that would happen. Just trying to answer your question.

Peguero can't produce a .350 OBP. He'd have to hit .330.

Peguero has a larger sample of AAA and lower games to add to the body of evidence that he can't hit.

Looking at their career numbers isn't particularly useful if Lough isn't healthy/having a down year. Something is amiss with his swing and approach.

Looking at their career numbers isn't particularly useful if Lough isn't healthy/having a down year. Something is amiss with his swing and approach.

Last year was the outlier for Lough IMO.

His minor league numbers in the offensive happy PCL suggest to me he is a marginally better hitter than what we have seen

4th OF at best and that's being ultra-generous. Prob is I do not see an option significantly better offensively that would be worth trying at this point.

Last year was the outlier for Lough IMO.

His minor league numbers in the offensive happy PCL suggest to me he is a marginally better hitter than what we have seen

4th OF at best and that's being ultra-generous. Prob is I do not see an option significantly better offensively that would be worth trying at this point.

While I believe in taking some air out of PCL numbers, it can't be so much that a near .800 PCL OPS equates to .500-ish in OPACY. If that's the case then you must believe Peguero is barely better than a pitcher with the bat. Last year at Omaha Lough out-hit Xavier Nady (MLB OPS .755), Ben Broussard (.775), Pedro Ciriaco (.684), among others. In 2011 he out-hit about a dozen other Omaha players who've appeared in the majors.

While I believe in taking some air out of PCL numbers, it can't be so much that a near .800 PCL OPS equates to .500-ish in OPACY. If that's the case then you must believe Peguero is barely better than a pitcher with the bat. Last year at Omaha Lough out-hit Xavier Nady (MLB OPS .755), Ben Broussard (.775), Pedro Ciriaco (.684), among others. In 2011 he out-hit about a dozen other Omaha players who've appeared in the majors.

That makes sense.

I do believe that Lough is a better hitter than what we have seen but I just think his ultimate value is as 4th OF. I like the kid, just do not see him as anything more than a nice complimentary piece on a contending team. He can do things to help ya so long as you do not ask him to do to much.

Beyond the statistics though, nothing I have seen from Lough at the plate suggests to me that he is capable of putting up the numbers he did last year on a consistent basis. That said he seems capable of doing more than we have seen.

Is there anything that gives you hope that Lough will turn things around this year?

I think the issue at hand here is that people (including myself) are clamoring for different options not because we think they're better than Lough career wise...but they're better than Lough this year.

More importantly, I'd imagine, is that OPS is not a great stat to use to evaluate light hitting players whose value is mostly wrapped up in speed/defense and often-times batting average. Think: Rajai Davis.

Archived