Interesting Article: It's Okay To Be Critical

BobbyWoontz

I'm thrilled to have Buck and like DD as well. What we're seeing is the aftermath of a ridiculous 2012 season. This team grossly overachieved and was an eyelash from playing in the ALCS after 14 years of truly horrible baseball. That we haven't repeated that success in 1.25 years has been a let down. Truth is, we *still* haven't really seen any young arms impact the rotation (Tillman has but we didn't draft him) and our position players are overrated around here. This franchise needs more talent, especially on offense, and sincerely needs KG, Bundy and/or another to become TOL starters. With Nick, Cruz, and Hardy all possibly leaving this year, and CD and Wieters next, it's going to be a serious challenge to get this team capable of winning a championship. I honestly don't believe we're capable of that at all right now without extraordinary luck.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So in Showalter's absence on Saturday, Russell guided the Orioles to a 1-0 loss. Showalter returned on Sunday and the Royals trounced the team 8-6.

Different games of course. I think Jon was indicating that the game before was within the management differential to have mattered.

I think that is probably in a typical range. Everyone's walk rate declines upon promotion, at least in the short term.

I agree with you on Schoop but Machado's sample size is heading out of the category short term. I am not seeing much that points to progression.

I agree with you on Schoop but Machado's sample size is heading out of the category short term. I am not seeing much that points to progression.

I think this is one of the consequences of promoting someone to the majors after 3+ months of AA (though I'm certainly not going to second-guess that decision!). And I agree it's a concern. Hopefully we see some progress this year (his BB rate is up a bit, but it's too small a sample to be meaningful).

I think this is one of the consequences of promoting someone to the majors after 3+ months of AA (though I'm certainly not going to second-guess that decision!). And I agree it's a concern. Hopefully we see some progress this year (his BB rate is up a bit, but it's too small a sample to be meaningful).

Robin Yount was famously in the majors at the age of 18. He didn't really walk at all his first seven years in the league, averaging maybe 30 per 600 PAs with no discernable progress. He eventually settled in at 60-70 walks a year.

Hank Aaron walked 37 times per 600 PAs through age 22. Boog Powell walked as many as 104 times in a season, but didn't cross the 50 threshold until his age 22 season. Rogers Hornsby was a 4+ year veteran before he had 50 walks in a season. Orlando Cepeda didn't walk 40 times in a season until 26. Ty Cobb had 87 career walks through his age 22, about 3 full MLB seasons.

I'm a bit concerned about Manny, but it's not unusual for excellent/young players to have poor strikeout and walk numbers, and none of the above examples played in today's very high K era.

Look man, my whole life the Orioles have sucked at baseball. And I watched the whole time. Then Buck came and we started winning.

So now you're feeling uncomfortable? A little anxious maybe? Not quite sure how to behave in the presence of a positive W-L record? Judging by some of the posts I see in every game thread, there's enough people right here alone to form a support group.

So now you're feeling uncomfortable? A little anxious maybe? Not quite sure how to behave in the presence of a positive W-L record? Judging by some of the posts I see in every game thread, there's enough people right here alone to form a support group.

The first step to getting help is realizing you need help.

I don't think you know what I was trying to say. It was a pro Buck post. I want him here because we win with him.

Archived