Don't Expect Any Power From Hardy Standing 2 Feet Off The Plate

section18

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He has 8 errors and 15RBI on the year that is god awful.

Not trading him this offseason is looking like a real dumb decision. We could have gotten A LOT. Oh well. Good news, we can resign him for cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 of those errors are from Davis not catching a ball.

His throws have been bad all year when he goes in the hole. He has been very good going towards second and making a throw it is when he has to go in the hole and make a long throw. His hitting is showing a lack of power and that deep throw in which you have to use a lot of your back on the throw is another sign the back or something is keeping him from gettine full extension.

His throws have been bad all year when he goes in the hole. He has been very good going towards second and making a throw it is when he has to go in the hole and make a long throw. His hitting is showing a lack of power and that deep throw in which you have to use a lot of your back on the throw is another sign the back or something is keeping him from gettine full extension.

Like i said Trade him now. Move Manny to SS where his offence numbers might play.

He's also starting to fight himself during the game. You can see it in his face after he fails at the plate and after another bad throw. He didn't do that in the past. We've all heard people say this game is 80-90 % mental. There is no way we should sign him to a 4 or 5 year contract. Does he look thinner this year? Has he lost weight to help his back? Trade him now.

Hardy has been absolutely abysmal this season, no two ways about it.

You really have to wonder to yourself if he was one of "those guys" to see such a dramatic and nearly unprecedented drop in production.

He's not injured, he just has zero power and his arm strength has decreased significantly.

What other possibility is there for such a rapid decent?

He's also starting to fight himself during the game. You can see it in his face after he fails at the plate and after another bad throw. He didn't do that in the past. We've all heard people say this game is 80-90 % mental. There is no way we should sign him to a 4 or 5 year contract. Does he look thinner this year? Has he lost weight to help his back? Trade him now.

I think he is fighting himself in the field ever since that three error game, but I don't see any problem with his approach at the plate. The power hasn't been there, but he's hitting .289 and he isn't swinging at a ton of pitches out of the strike zone.

Here's an article analyzing Hardy's power dropoff: http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/the-disappearance-of-j-j-hardys-power/

He's getting old... I predicted that in the off season if he wasn't traded:

1. His production would drop to the point where

2. The O's will not even be comfortable making a QO and

3. He will sign with another team and the O's will

4. Get nothing for a guy who is only a year removed from a gold glove and silver slugger.

If DD woke up and faced reality he would trade him at the deadline to a (true) contender that needs help at SS, and at least get something for him.

I guess it's the JJ thing. We got nothing for Jim Johnson after 100 saves in two years, and we will get nothing for JJ Hardy after a gold glove/silver slugger season.

It's no longer clear that Manny can handle SS, but it is becoming clear that he doesn't have the bat to be a 3B

He's getting old... I predicted that in the off season if he wasn't traded:

1. His production would drop to the point where

2. The O's will not even be comfortable making a QO and

3. He will sign with another team and the O's will

4. Get nothing for a guy who is only a year removed from a gold glove and silver slugger.

If DD woke up and faced reality he would trade him at the deadline to a (true) contender that needs help at SS, and at least get something for him.

I guess it's the JJ thing. We got nothing for Jim Johnson after 100 saves in two years, and we will get nothing for JJ Hardy after a gold glove/silver slugger season.

It's no longer clear that Manny can handle SS, but it is becoming clear that he doesn't have the bat to be a 3B

Once again you've shown the incredible knack for taking a reasonable course of action most people here were perfectly fine with and framing it as total lunacy.

The continued assertions that Manny obviously won't hit enough to be a third baseman don't get any more sane with repetition.

Do you actually think that wild exaggeration in a non-ironic way somehow gets others on board with your opinions? Or are all of your posts tongue-in-cheek?

Once again you've shown the incredible knack for taking a reasonable course of action most people here were perfectly fine with and framing it as total lunacy.

The continued assertions that Manny obviously won't hit enough to be a third baseman don't get any more sane with repetition.

Do you actually think that wild exaggeration in a non-ironic way somehow gets others on board with your opinions? Or are all of your posts tongue-in-cheek?

Historically they have not been satire. The poster certainly is not the first individual that has used the wild exageration in a repetitve manner as a methodology.

I have been proven correct when 2-3 years ago I campaigned that the O's should trade JJ (after the 2012 season)

I will be proven correct that the O's should have traded Hardy (last offseason), as my above scenario of getting nothing for him next year plays out

As for Manny I have repeatedly said that he gets a pass on this season. He'll get a chance to prove himself next year. But as he continues to rack up month after month of under .650 OPS it certainly seems quite sane to me that he does not have the bat for a traditional 3B

The left side of our infield has 14 errors with 4 HRs and 26 RBIs. That is a problem.

I have been proven correct when 2-3 years ago I campaigned that the O's should trade JJ (after the 2012 season)

I will be proven correct that the O's should have traded Hardy (last offseason), as my above scenario of getting nothing for him next year plays out

As for Manny I have repeatedly said that he gets a pass on this season. He'll get a chance to prove himself next year. But as he continues to rack up month after month of under .650 OPS it certainly seems quite sane to me that he does not have the bat for a traditional 3B

The left side of our infield has 14 errors with 4 HRs and 26 RBIs. That is a problem.

For the record, Manny's OPS so far in June is a quite respectable .766. And he did not have consecutive months under .750 OPS at any time last year. Rather, he had a really terrible July (.540) and September (.531) sandwiched around a very good August (.821). Overall, I think it is reasonable to expect Manny to end 2014 over .700, though he obviousy has a long way to go to overcome his .555 OPS posted in his first month after coming back from his surgery.

As to Hardy, he had one error in the first 50 games he played this year, and then suddenly had 7 errors in 11 games, including three in one game. That's a very peculiar lapse, but I don't think it is part of any major trend. I think the three-error game got in his head a little, and expect he will break out of his little fielding slump. As to his hitting, it is basically the HRs that are missing, otherwise he looks fine.

Archived