Don't Expect Any Power From Hardy Standing 2 Feet Off The Plate

section18

wOBA is not a bad measure for that. He's at .309 for this year. Career is .321. High with the O's was .344 in 2011. He's been better than 2012, but that lack of power does hurt him.

I think that is a fair assessment. I also think it is just a matter of time before JJ starts knocking a few out of the ballpark.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that is a fair assessment. I also think it is just a matter of time before JJ starts knocking a few out of the ballpark.

Yeah me, too. The statistical outlier is clearly the 0% HR/FB rate. His lowest year with the O's was a 10% HR/FB. LD% and FB% look about normal, so he'll get a few here soon.

When is JJ going to hit his first HR? Maybe if he moves another 6 inches away from the plate it will happen. Did you see him bat tonight? He has moved his front leg back towards the outside line of the batters box behind him another 6 inches away from the plate it appears. Any pitcher that throws him a pitch on the inside side of the plate needs their head examined. What is JP and Buck doing to help the hitters? Apparently nothing. How can a guy with power and 0 HR's move further away from the plate and expect to have power when most pitchers are pitching him away? Aren't they watching film of the hitters and studying how pitchers are throwing to them? I guess they bagged that idea a couple of years ago because most of our hitters are making outs on down and away pitches or low and inside and have been for some time.

I think his lack of home runs may indeed have to do with his back. He isn't pulling the ball with authority, and much like a "pulled" golf shot, pulling a baseball requires and extensive hip turn which could be painful for Hardy. So I believe people should let this issue rest as long as he is hitting for a good average and playing his usual great defense. I personally and sick of the whining and moaning about it. Give the guy a break!

It seems, in watching his home runs from last year, that JJ was definitely more violent in his bat speed, using more legs and twist to generate power than what I am seeing this year where he seems to be very upper torso, arms in his swing. More than likely back issues remain. [video=youtube;H1gCxDagLGc]

Where do most hitters stand when they get in the batters box? The Oriole announcers were talking about a couple of the Brewer hitters being right up on the plate during the recent series and their guys homered. One of them was hit in one of the later games and they said on TV no wonder.....he's right on the plate. All JJ needs to do is bat in the middle of the box or at least have plate coverage when he swings prior to the pitch being thrown. This isn't complicated. We aren't paying him to not hit homers and not knock any runs in. He's the only hitter this far off the plate. In fact I haven't seen any hitters with the other teams this far off. If he was a pitcher and was worried about getting hit it would be okay.

JJ's chief value comes from his glove. He is currently having his best season defensively and is second only to Tulo in UZR. His lack of HR is being replaced by hitting for average to all fields. His OPS for May is .740 or his career average and the last two weeks it's over .900 OPS. He could have close to a 4 WAR season if he keeps it up.

• 3 weeks later...

Another strikeout with the bases loaded and one out tonight in Tampa. How many over the weekend against Toronto. How long has it been since he drove in a run? He's been stuck on 15 RBI's for quite awhile. Tonight he looks like he's 2 1/2 feet off the plate. Unbelievable. He struck out on an outside pitch he could not reach because of where he is standing. He's even having trouble with his throws to 1B now. Some have been on tough plays but he is bouncing a lot of throws in the last few weeks to Davis at 1B. If his back is hurting Buck should rest him once in awhile. The Orioles would be better off trading him in a package.You can't sign him to a long term contract. He need's to be dropped lower in the lineup. He's leaving too many on base.

JJ's chief value comes from his glove. He is currently having his best season defensively and is second only to Tulo in UZR. His lack of HR is being replaced by hitting for average to all fields. His OPS for May is .740 or his career average and the last two weeks it's over .900 OPS. He could have close to a 4 WAR season if he keeps it up.

How is that defense doing?

Jim Hunter said 45 ABs without a ribbie. So, now 46.

2 RBi in his last 24 games. People are on Davis and Machado a ton but Hardy is getting a bit to much of a free pass because his average is ok but he is supposed to be a guy that drives in runs.

2 RBi in his last 24 games. People are on Davis and Machado a ton but Hardy is getting a bit to much of a free pass because his average is ok but he is supposed to be a guy that drives in runs.

The Orioles have about 6 black holes we send out ever night.

Archived