Bundy throws 4 perfect innings

BMann

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- Forget the slider for a moment. Why this fixation on throwing 4 seam fastballs down in the zone?

- Why no 2 seamers down in the zone?

- Why no expanding all 4 quadrants of the strike zone with his 4 seam fastball?

- Is his FB command just that bad?

- Why is this guy being constrained rather than opened up.

Where did you find this outline for Gausman's developmental focus?

I don't know the answer to your questions if that is truly the developmental focus. His two-seamer is a weapon. He shouldn't have to throw the four-seamer much at all except when ahead in the count and usually when he can elevate and go for pure velocity to get a swing out of the zone or set up the change-up.

Gausman is lanky but athletic with an easy arm; he should be able to develop average or better command.

That's what they're doing and that's what I've read and seen as being the focus. From my recollection there was a pretty strong article about this a year or so ago quoting Peterson as that is exactly what they want him to do as well. Not always accurate, but Brooks baseball has him at just 3% 2 seam fastballs and 64% 4 seam fastballs for his ML career. I assume he's doing the same in the minors

You're not watching his games then?

That's what they're doing and that's what I've read and seen as being the focus. From my recollection there was a pretty strong article about this a year or so ago quoting Peterson as that is exactly what they want him to do as well. Not always accurate, but Brooks baseball has him at just 3% 2 seam fastballs and 64% 4 seam fastballs for his ML career. I assume he's doing the same in the minors

You're not watching his games then?

Unfortunately, not the last three weeks with draft stuff going on. I don't know why those would be Peterson's focal points since it seems to work away from Gausman's strengths.

Unfortunately, not the last three weeks with draft stuff going on. I don't know why those would be Peterson's focal points since it seems to work away from Gausman's strengths.

This has been going on for more than 3 weeks. I will try and find the article but my assumption is that it was to emphasize FB command and his arm angle. I remember not caring for the strategy myself. Quite frankly Gausman throwing (almost exclusively) 4 seam fastballs isn't really much of a secret though. I'd also guess that part of the logic is that "sinkerballs" are inherently hard to command as being part of the thought process.

I will try and find the article but my assumption it was to emphasize FB command and his arm angle. Quite frankly Gausman throwing (almost exclusively) 4 seam fastballs isn't really much of a secret though.

Oh I don't need an article. It seems like the 4-seam focus down in the zone, then, is tied more to it being hittable up at the big league level. Fine to work on, but 2-seam is how he's going to miss barrels, and I wonder why they don't just consider his 4-seam as a limited scope weapon? Kyle Freeland, a potential top 10 guy in this upcoming draft class, goes almost exclusively 2-seam for that reason.

I will try and find the article but my assumption it was to emphasize FB command and his arm angle. Quite frankly Gausman throwing (almost exclusively) 4 seam fastballs isn't really much of a secret though.

Maybe they should give him back his cutter. ;)

Oh I don't need an article. It seems like the 4-seam focus down in the zone, then, is tied more to it being hittable up at the big league level. Fine to work on, but 2-seam is how he's going to miss barrels, and I wonder why they don't just consider his 4-seam as a limited scope weapon? Kyle Freeland, a potential top 10 guy in this upcoming draft class, goes almost exclusively 2-seam for that reason.

Exactly !!! We agree. I don't get it at all. Unless they just have almost no faith in his FB command and/or feel the need to almost totally emphasize 4S before transitioning to 2S.

I can see the argument for there being a benefit to facing MLB hitters. But isn't that a polish issue and not really a developmental issue? I'd view that as trying to shorten a prospect's adjustment period, not something you do if you feel there are significant things to work on.

And again, maybe Baltimore doesn't think there are significant things to work on and they just want to keep him down 1) for team control reasons for now, or 2) because they really like the five starters they have. If that's the case, I retract what I said about not having a developmental plan.

I can't argue with that. You're correct that he did have things he needed to develop as a starter. Upon further contemplation and retrospect, I'm leaning towards thinking your position is correct.

Archived