Send Ubaldo To The BP

Il BuonO

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well it seems to me to be more hatred for Jimenez than others that struggle. But I

too have read that he is a team first guy. I know he is not pitching well. And I

they could fix whatever the problem is. I like to see Ubaldo be successful out of

BP for the O's. IMO

Same here. I hope that the coaches can help him succeed as an Oriole.

We can hope that Ubaldo will have a positive contributing role to the team (other than Bat Boy or bringing the Gatorade), and maybe find some success when he's only asked to get a few outs, but the situation is looking grim so far. It remains to be seen if we will have to eat that 20M or if we can get some value back for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that we can. It was only one bad relief outing from a guy who is used to being a starter (and who assumed his new role without a single complaint). Ubaldo is having mechanical and command problems. Right now, they should only use him in low-leverage situations and take him out as soon as he begins to pitch badly. Friday night, they brought him in to mop-up and eat innings. As soon as he gave up those hits, Buck should have removed him. Gradually, as he fixes his problems, he can be used to eat up more innings. I realize that he's a very expensive reclamation project, but we have him and the O's coaching staff needs to try and reclaim him.

I think that we can. It was only one bad relief outing from a guy who is used to being a starter (and who assumed his new role without a single complaint). Ubaldo is having mechanical and command problems. Right now, they should only use him in low-leverage situations and take him out as soon as he begins to pitch badly. Friday night, they brought him in to mop-up and eat innings. As soon as he gave up those hits, Buck should have removed him. Gradually, as he fixes his problems, he can be used to eat up more innings. I realize that he's a very expensive reclamation project, but we have him and the O's coaching staff needs to try and reclaim him.

I think that is more likely phrased as "if he fixes his problems". The bullpen problem will only intensify when O'Day is ready to come back. I really don't think we can nursemaid and hide Ubaldo for the next month and a half and still have what we need in the bullpen to compete. The cost is already sunk, the only question is whether his replacement would give the team more value and I think that this answer is yes because almost any pitcher is likely going to pitch better than Ubaldo will in the short term of the next 90 games.

I haven't seen any evidence of him quitting and taking his money, haven't seen that anywhere. I have serious doubts that Ubaldo loves to hear all that booing and jeering. There is no evidence from Buck Showalter that he is quitting or laying down on the job. If that were me, and I heard all that booing, I'd want to walk away and tell the fans and team, "screw it!" But Ubaldo keeps going out there when asked, exposing himself to all of that ridicule. As horrible as his pitching is right now, Ubaldo is not a quitter. :mad:

When have you ever seen that from Buck? He doesn't throw people under the bus, so it's not evidence in your favor. Jimenez keeps going out there when asked because he's paid to do so. If he was a team player he would have stuck with the adjustments made by coaches instead of going with what's been comfortable during his career. How did changing back to his old mechanics go on to further your narrative he's a team player? Did it help the team?

People will typically boo players for poor performance. Remember Mike Gonzalez? He was booed in the first home series one year. Or, Kevin Gregg? Because you happened to be at a game when he was booed for atrocious pitching he's now the tortured soul of the team? Please. No one despises Ubaldo Jimenez as a person and I'm a little tired of the "Poor Ubaldo doesn't merit all the hate" act. He needs to pitch better.

I wish he would quit, it would save the Orioles some salary and clear a roster spot. Do you think the Orioles would refuse because he's such a nice guy? The only reason they haven't released him to this point is because of the salary. But that may not be indefinite. If he wants to collect he'll keep going out there and stinkin up the joint.

When have you ever seen that from Buck? He doesn't throw people under the bus, so it's not evidence in your favor. Jimenez keeps going out there when asked because he's paid to do so. If he was a team player he would have stuck with the adjustments made by coaches instead of going with what's been comfortable during his career. How did changing back to his old mechanics go on to further your narrative he's a team player? Did it help the team?

People will typically boo players for poor performance. Remember Mike Gonzalez? He was booed in the first home series one year. Or, Kevin Gregg? Because you happened to be at a game when he was booed for atrocious pitching he's now the tortured soul of the team? Please. No one despises Ubaldo Jimenez as a person and I'm a little tired of the "Poor Ubaldo doesn't merit all the hate" act. He needs to pitch better.

I wish he would quit, it would save the Orioles some salary and clear a roster spot. Do you think the Orioles would refuse because he's such a nice guy? The only reason they haven't released him to this point is because of the salary. But that may not be indefinite. If he wants to collect he'll keep going out there and stinkin up the joint.

Sure he does.

Just not his vets.

I noticed that the moderators combined threads. The original title of this thread was "El Bado". And someone posted that he thought that it would be good if Ubaldo would find a pothole to trip over because this would help the team. I don't know about anyone else, but I do not wish physical harm on anyone who wears the black and orange. Yes, I do agree that he needs to pitch better.

As for Buck, I think you misunderstood my comment. I said that Buck has never said anywhere that Ubaldo has quit. I said quite the opposite.

As for Ubaldo going back to his old delivery and ignoring the coaches -- and that apparently means that he's not a real team player: The coaches have been monitoring him during his practices and games. Solving pitching problems is frequently far more involved than lowering or raising arms during a wind up. Ubaldo pitches from the stretch more times than from the windup. The results have been the same. It seems that his problems are more extensive than tweaks in the windup and the coaches have come to realize that.

As for Ubaldo's going out there continually just to collect his salary: He'd collect his salary at any rate, whether he went out there or not.

I noticed that the moderators combined threads. The original title of this thread was "El Bado". And someone posted that he thought that it would be good if Ubaldo would find a pothole to trip over because this would help the team. I don't know about anyone else, but I do not wish physical harm on anyone who wears the black and orange. Yes, I do agree that he needs to pitch better.
So, that one example is your evidence for all the hatred being directed towards him? Pretty the comment wasn't serious.

As for Buck, I think you misunderstood my comment. I said that Buck has never said anywhere that Ubaldo has quit. I said quite the opposite.

No, I didn't. It's ridiculous to think he'd ever say such a thing. Even I don't think it's the case with Jimenez, but if it was Buck wouldn't embarrass him. You throwing it into the equation was done to create the idea he's a team player. He doesn't do or say anything that distinguishes him more than anyone else on the team. Most players respond exactly the way he has.

As for Ubaldo going back to his old delivery and ignoring the coaches -- and that apparently means that he's not a real team player: The coaches have been monitoring him during his practices and games. Solving pitching problems is frequently far more involved than lowering or raising arms during a wind up. Ubaldo pitches from the stretch more times than from the windup. The results have been the same. It seems that his problems are more extensive than tweaks in the windup and the coaches have come to realize that.

This is often false as well. It sometimes takes just a slight adjustment, and the motion you describe isn't simple. Jimenez is often landing with his lead leg and his arm can't catch up. I also don't know that it's the only adjustment that was made. Dropping his right arm on takeaway is also exaggerated.

As for Ubaldo's going out there continually just to collect his salary: He'd collect his salary at any rate, whether he went out there or not.

Not if he quit. Think Gil Meche.

Ive still never really understood your devotion to the guy.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">James Shields out after 1.2 IP, gives up 7 ER and 7 hits and 3 walks. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Whitesox?src=hash">#Whitesox</a></p>— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) <a href="

">June 18, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">James Shields out after 1.2 IP, gives up 7 ER and 7 hits and 3 walks. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Whitesox?src=hash">#Whitesox</a></p>— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) <a href="
">June 18, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Most abrupt and complete collapse ever?

Archived