Send Ubaldo To The BP

Il BuonO

Most abrupt and complete collapse ever?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">no one could have imagined this for shields (i know i didnt). but the chisox cant afford to keep starting him.</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) <a href="

">June 18, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Guy Who Wrote The Arm says this...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This ... is not good. RT <a href="https://twitter.com/MLBastian">@MLBastian</a>: Shields stats for last 4 starts: 11.1 IP, 32 H, 32 R (31 ER), 6 K/13 BB, .485 opp. average, 24.62 ERA.</p>— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">no one could have imagined this for shields (i know i didnt). but the chisox cant afford to keep starting him.</p>? Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) <a href="

I hear Latos is available.

I don't know what to make of Ubaldo this year. I thought we DID fix him last year. Less flailing, more compact. And he was better. 2+ something WAR last year. And this year he's just all arms and legs. Just abandoned anything the Orioles tried to help himself.

I think that is more likely phrased as "if he fixes his problems". The bullpen problem will only intensify when O'Day is ready to come back. I really don't think we can nursemaid and hide Ubaldo for the next month and a half and still have what we need in the bullpen to compete. The cost is already sunk, the only question is whether his replacement would give the team more value and I think that this answer is yes because almost any pitcher is likely going to pitch better than Ubaldo will in the short term of the next 90 games.

Jimenez is on the payroll next year as well. If he can straighten himself over the offseason and become a 2 WAR pitcher again than perhaps it is worth keeping him. You can say it is a sunk cost because you aren't paying him. If it were your 20 million you might not see it that way.

Not if he quit. Think Gil Meche.

Ive still never really understood your devotion to the guy.

Who is devoted to him? He is on the team because of his contract. He is not starting and he doesn't have a key roll in the bullpen. I don't see what booing accomplishes at this point. It was like booing Kim on opening day. Serves no purpose other than to beat a guy when he is down. Seems like bullying to me.

Who is devoted to him? He is on the team because of his contract. He is not starting and he doesn't have a key roll in the bullpen. I don't see what booing accomplishes at this point. It was like booing Kim on opening day. Serves no purpose other than to beat a guy when he is down. Seems like bullying to me.

He's getting paid 15 million this year. The people booing him are probably getting paid less then 100K. Those people are probably paying 200 + bucks to see the game. They have the right to boo ineptness and demand better. I don't enjoy seeing an Oriole booed by the home crowd, but Jimenez has certainly earned it.

They can pay me 1/100th of what ubaldo is making this year and the entity city of Baltimore can literally boo me until their lungs fall out and I will smile the entire time.

Ubaldo stunk, it's pro sports not a 5th grade spelling bee.

If they can't take some deserved haranguing then find a different line of work.

He's getting paid 15 million this year. The people booing him are probably getting paid less then 100K. Those people are probably paying 200 + bucks to see the game. They have the right to boo ineptness and demand better. I don't enjoy seeing an Oriole booed by the home crowd, but Jimenez has certainly earned it.

So since they are failures in their lives it is OK they can make themselves feel better by booing a ball player? I see booing him when he was in the rotation as you are telling the decision makers it is time to stop starting him. Demanding better? I am sure Jiminez is trying he just isn't very good at this point. Most likely won't be again.

First of all, the person to whom I was responding, to answer the your question. You've obviously never seen previous posts from that person.

Secondly, as someone who played the game at a pretty high level, I never cared for booing any player. Most people who boo or yell things at players have no idea how difficult it is to be a successful pro athlete. I have never booed anyone, though, that is certainly the right of anyone who goes to the game.

Thirdly, your throwing bullying is another manipulation designed to elicit sympathy for a guy being paid millions of dollars to play a game. It's insulting to those who are actually bullied for real.

Jimenez is on the payroll next year as well. If he can straighten himself over the offseason and become a 2 WAR pitcher again than perhaps it is worth keeping him. You can say it is a sunk cost because you aren't paying him. If it were your 20 million you might not see it that way.

The issue is whether keeping him this year causes you to lose a pennant because he can't get corrected and he has no role in the pen and you also lose whatever contribution an actual bullpen guy would add. So, yeah, I understand the dollars but the window with this group winning is right now. So management will just have to decide. If I was an 80+ billionaire then doing whatever I need to see my club win a World Series would be what I would do. What PA does is up to him of course.

The issue is whether keeping him this year causes you to lose a pennant because he can't get corrected and he has no role in the pen and you also lose whatever contribution an actual bullpen guy would add. So, yeah, I understand the dollars but the window with this group winning is right now. So management will just have to decide. If I was an 80+ billionaire then doing whatever I need to see my club win a World Series would be what I would do. What PA does is up to him of course.
I imagine Ubaldo's time is determined by when O'Day returns. If he hasn't straightened himself out by then he'll be gone.

I imagine Ubaldo's time is determined by when O'Day returns. If he hasn't straightened himself out by then he'll be gone.

By that time Manny will be back. Janish, sadly, will be gone. They're not eating Ubaldo's contract.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">James Shields out after 1.2 IP, gives up 7 ER and 7 hits and 3 walks. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Whitesox?src=hash">#Whitesox</a></p>? Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) <a href="

As I said before, it could have been a lot worse for the Orioles and their fans. As I recall, DD was making a few noises about acquiring him (though maybe this was an unfounded rumor about DD and Shields). Thank the baseball gods that Shields went to the White Sox and not to the Orioles. Looks like the Sox have a multi-million dollar mop-up man on their hands. :rolleyes:

Archived