Assume 22 starts, 132 IP, 3.25 ERA from Gausman this year...

Frobby

I mean, if the question is "Gausman produces X, does that definitely equal Y," then the answer almost has to be "no," doesn't it? I think better things should come from Ubaldo based on his track record and how he's performed lately, but in a scenario in which Gausman's performance is the only constant, the O's aren't a playoff team. They need a bunch of other guys, Ubaldo included, to improve in order for that to be true. That's just a different issue from whether or not I think particular players will continue to improve going forward.

It's all about the pitching. I think pitching, defense and offense get you into the playoffs and then the pitching can take over. But it's still pretty much the pitching. Gausman may have allowed the FO the focus their efforts on say, another LH bat instead of going after Samardzija. Maybe Utley. I like Schoop for the future but if you would have told me this is what I'm getting I'd say let's preserve that year of control and get him some more AB in AAA.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's all about the pitching. I think pitching, defense and offense get you into the playoffs and then the pitching can take over. But it's still pretty much the pitching. Gausman may have allowed the FO the focus their efforts on say, another LH bat instead of going after Samardzija. Maybe Utley. I like Schoop for the future but if you would have told me this is what I'm getting I'd say let's preserve that year of control and get him some more AB in AAA.

I wonder what the going rate for a 35 y/o, oft-injured All-Star is these days. Especially since he's due at least $10 million next year, plus those vesting options (and another $5 million in 2015) if he stays healthy. Of course, the Phillies are never out of contention (as long as they're the ones being asked about their chances), so there's that to deal with...

As for Schoop, I'm torn. His glove's been good, his bat's been just a hair removed from terrible, and the options behind him might be even worse. Just a bad situation all-around.

I wonder what the going rate for a 35 y/o, oft-injured All-Star is these days. Especially since he's due at least $10 million next year, plus those vesting options (and another $5 million in 2015) if he stays healthy. Of course, the Phillies are never out of contention (as long as they're the ones being asked about their chances), so there's that to deal with...

As for Schoop, I'm torn. His glove's been good, his bat's been just a hair removed from terrible, and the options behind him might be even worse. Just a bad situation all-around.

Ouch man, my good eye! Alright, alright, take it easy. You mean we don't get Utley circa 2008, lol? He's still producing and he's already produced 2.0 WAR so far. I'd wager his bat for two seasons while Schoop finds his sea legs might be a suitable upgrade. Maybe not. I'm open to suggestion. I'm sure you'd rather open up the Angelos check book than stick Flash back over there.

I don't think we have what it takes for Zobrist.

Nevermind on the vesting question.

Ouch man, my good eye! Alright, alright, take it easy. You mean we don't get Utley circa 2008, lol? He's still producing and he's already produced 2.0 WAR so far. I'd wager his bat for two seasons while Schoop finds his sea legs might be a suitable upgrade. Maybe not. I'm open to suggestion. I'm sure you'd rather open up the Angelos check book than stick Flash back over there.

I don't think we have what it takes for Zobrist.

Nevermind on the vesting question.

lol...I do think Utley would be a massive upgrade over what the O's currently have as 2B options. And the vesting options require 500 Abs per year, so I guess the thinking is that if he reaches them, he's been mostly healthy for a given year. I think it's probably more money than the O's would want to take on, though, and I doubt the Phillies would ask for a reasonable return...just because they're the Phillies.

Of course, it's funny...Hardy's four years younger, but looks less and less like a good extension option. Utley, despite his injury history and "advanced" age, will nonetheless be a subject of trade talks. Weird game.

Back in the day the O's relied on Dempsey and they got the job done. Is there that much difference between what we are getting out of our catchers and what Dempsey gave us? Joseph has been pretty good behind the plate, IMO. Sure he is not going to hit that great and the good defense has been a little bit of a surprise but I think we can survive if we get production from all the other pieces. Don't confuse me with the crowd that thinks Matt is not a huge loss, he is. However I don't believe it is the death nail, provided the others produce.

It takes CD, Manny and Hardy getting better and I think a big key is Nick continuing to have a rebound year. This is a real concern as Nick really is not that far ahead of where he was at this point last year at the same time. For me the encouraging thing is Nick is hitting the ball with authority this season far more often. Last season even when he was rarely hitting doubles my memory says that the were the over the bag type not gappers and off the wall type. I guess the question is has Nick been hot so far this year or is he primed to actually show the production he had early in his career. His second half of 2012 production would be huge.

Comparing Caleb Joseph to Dempsey is absurd and comparing this team to that team, with the pitching we had back then (which is what really carried us) is a pretty large leap in logic.

I just don't see how THIS team can make it to the World Series with the lineup holes we are currently running out there without having the pitching to make them.

Our pitching has been good, but not World Series caliber by any means.

lol...I do think Utley would be a massive upgrade over what the O's currently have as 2B options. And the vesting options require 500 Abs per year, so I guess the thinking is that if he reaches them, he's been mostly healthy for a given year. I think it's probably more money than the O's would want to take on, though, and I doubt the Phillies would ask for a reasonable return...just because they're the Phillies.

Of course, it's funny...Hardy's four years younger, but looks less and less like a good extension option. Utley, despite his injury history and "advanced" age, will nonetheless be a subject of trade talks. Weird game.

Oh! Oh! Oh! (now I feel like Horshack from "Welcome Back Kotter") Forget Utley.

Mets. Sellers. Daniel Murphy.

Huh, huh??? Nice OBP, 2nd year Arb. Huh???

Oh! Oh! Oh! (now I feel like Horshack from "Welcome Back Kotter") Forget Utley.

Mets. Sellers. Daniel Murphy.

Huh, huh??? Nice OBP, 2nd year Arb. Huh???

Haha...hey, why not? I'm not sure I've ever seen him play. I wonder what adjustments he's made this year. Better defense, rebounding OBP.

I also mentioned Nick Franklin as a half-joke in a recent game thread. He was banished to the minors again this season after a miserable April/May, but he seems to be hitting well in AAA (.304/.407/.494 with 7 HR, 27 RBI, and a 15.3 BB% in 189 PAs).

How exactly do you think we can acquire him without giving up bundy or Harvey?

First, you'd get whichever Mets rep you're thinking of to sober up, and then you ask him to make a serious trade suggestion.

(is that really who they'd request for someone like Murphy? His numbers are pretty good, but still...)

Haha...hey, why not? I'm not sure I've ever seen him play. I wonder what adjustments he's made this year. Better defense, rebounding OBP.

I also mentioned Nick Franklin as a half-joke in a recent game thread. He was banished to the minors again this season after a miserable April/May, but he seems to be hitting well in AAA (.304/.407/.494 with 7 HR, 27 RBI, and a 15.3 BB% in 189 PAs).

Sure, why not Franklin. And if Murphy gets you Bundy and Harvey maybe we do some selling of our own and just put Schoop on the market. I'm sure the Mets have no interest in Matt Harvey now that he's on the mend.

Straight up, no chaser. :D

Sure, why not Franklin. And if Murphy gets you Bundy and Harvey maybe we do some selling of our own and just put Schoop on the market. I'm sure the Mets have no interest in Matt Harvey now that he's on the mend.

Straight up, no chaser. :D

Just convince the Mets that they have the wrong Harvey. If they're going to stick with a Harvey, they need to follow the Orioles' example and land a Hunter. Matt's never work out. Just look at Hobgood, after all. Really, the O's would be doing them a favor.

Just convince the Mets that they have the wrong Harvey. If they're going to stick with a Harvey, they need to follow the Orioles' example and land a Hunter. Matt's never work out. Just look at Hobgood, after all. Really, the O's would be doing them a favor.

Harvey for Harvey?

Archived