ESPN SportsCenter Update

jamessemaj

This makes more sense then any of the wild stories debated thus far.

My thoughts exactly. It would explain a lot of the tidbits, as well. The delay. The reports that Angelos/the Orioles FO was upset with Jones statements. The health concern angle that kept creeping in and out of reports.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It isn't the physical that is the problem. It is the quote that said "the deal is done" from Jones. This makes it complicated if Jones were to fail his physical. Verbal contracts are binding and all that stuff. I'm speculating, but I think I see where this is going.

To me, that's bizarre. I could understand it if Jones was acting as an "agent" for the Mariners, but he clearly doesn't have any authority to do that.

Well the best complicated rule issue is the PTBNL rule involving last years draft picks. The Pete Incavigla rule requires teams to not trade any draft pick for an entire year after they have signed their contract. To further confuse this situation, a player can still be added as a PTBNL at the 6 month period after the draft. The said player is still technically part of the parent orginization until the player hits his 1 year anniversiary mark, thus allowing him to be offically traded.

So if this is a PTBNL problem, look at the Seatle draft picks and when they where signed. Another snag would be the language of how the PTBNL is treated and moved through the Parent orginization(Rookie Ball, low A, ext spring training. etc..)

Those are just some of the odd ball rules complications i could think of off the top of my head...

Just my 2 cents...

The Orioles have asked the Mariners for written language that Seattle will submit Jones and Sherrill for a physical examination by the Orioles -- and if they pass physicals, then and only then will Baltimore be obligated to finish the trade. The inherent risk for the Mariners is that if either Jones or Sherrill were to flunk their physicals in Baltimore, then the respective value of the players would be diminished within the industry.

So the question is how desperate does Bavasi want Bedard? Bad enough to risk the future value of his players? Or does he think they are 100% healthy?

The Mariners and the Orioles came close to completing the deal last weekend: Bedard for center fielder Adam Jones, pitchers George Sherrill, Chris Tillman and Tony Butler, as well as another player. The conversations progressed to the point that the Mariners informed two players central in the deal -- Adam Jones and George Sherrill -- that they needed to go to Baltimore for physical examinations.

When Jones was quoted as saying the deal was completed, this created a rules question, sources say: If the Jones went for his physical examination, would the Orioles then be beholden to accept him, even if the physical exam did not go well.

The Orioles have asked the Mariners for written language that Seattle will submit Jones and Sherrill for a physical examination by the Orioles -- and if they pass physicals, then and only then will Baltimore be obligated to finish the trade. The inherent risk for the Mariners is that if either Jones or Sherrill were to flunk their physicals in Baltimore, then the respective value of the players would be diminished within the industry.

Wow. If its something as simple as this, sure does make al the speculating this week even more funny!

Which would explain why Angelos blew his stack when Jones made this comment. Puzzle pieces are starting to fit......hmm.

Jones has no authority to bind either team to a contract. IMO, his statement(s) are essentially meaningless from a legal perspective.

Finally, some f'in answers that make sense.

I guess it's good to be cautious, but I wouldn't see how what Jones said or what Jones was told would affect the deal between the O's and M's. The written/verbal agreement between the two should supercede anything that people on the M's side said to the press.

Jones has no authority to bind either team to a contract. IMO, his statement(s) are essentially meaningless from a legal perspective.

I would rather them be overly cautious if this is really the case, then to wave it off only to somehow be screwed over by a loophole or technicality.

So the question is how desperate does Bavasi want Bedard? Bad enough to risk the future value of his players? Or does he think they are 100% healthy?

Uh, doesn't everyone undergo exit physicals after the season?

One would imagine that Seattle could conduct their own physicals prior to sending the players out here.

Archived