Orioles messing with Gausman again what's new.

Greg

I'm not arguing that Duquette is acting unethically. I'm simple stating why some people see it as screwing with/over Gausman. And I completely understand that viewpoint.

Look, Houston does "its own thing" without much thought to what the rest of the industry thinks. Houston, as a general matter, is NOT well liked by the industry (including agents and players). Making sound analytical decisions, divorced from the human element, may be a good way to find extra value. It is also likely to bring with it not-so-warm feelings from the folks who are essentially collateral damage.

Just stating a fact; not passing judgment.

Speaking of the Astros, I just posted a piece about Aiken's adviser being unhappy with them.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Speaking of the Astros, I just posted a piece about Aiken's adviser being unhappy with them.

Yeah -- that could get very ugly, and in this case could have a legit impact on the Astros ability to conduct business effectively moving forward. Very curious to see how it resolves.

Yeah -- that could get very ugly, and in this case could have a legit impact on the Astros ability to conduct business effectively moving forward. Very curious to see how it resolves.

I made a comment about how would you like to be an Astros' fan and suffering through their losing ways.

Somebody posted that their future is very bright and they could be a force to deal with.

They very well could be, but the current leadership is lacking that ability to make this happen. of course, IMO.

At the end of the day, Gausman hasn't accumulated enough time for that extra year, right? They didn't have to call him up after Ubaldo's ankle injury, and if they're faking the injury (doubt it), then that's an argument against the O's trying to manipulate service time.

No. It's not. It's an argument for service time not being the driving factor in decision making. Baltimore clearly thinks Gausman is an arm they want to have in the rotation. They are just finding ways to use him without having to give him a permanent spot on the roster (for the time being). There are a bunch of factors playing into that decision, but it comes down to Gausman not accruing the service time a pitcher generally would for the number of starts he's made for the big club.

Further, even if we allow for service time being like the seventh most important thing, the fact is that Gausman has accrued far less in service time than any pitcher I can think of given the number of starts he's made this year. It may be 100% incidental to the fact the team wants to manipulate its roster. Doesn't matter when we are talking about the feelings of the player/agent/industry.

I'm not saying Baltimore should care what any of those folks think, just that Baltimore's operation (just like Houston's) seems to be analytically driven without much regard for the human element.

Well, the anger (frustration probably a better word) would be with the team using him as a major leaguer but not allowing him to accrue time while he does. Come up and pitch, great. But then he's not getting the service time accrued between starts, not to mention the other benefits of being on the 25-man (per diem, luxury hotels, comfortable travel, etc.).

It's not like that really. Each one of the roster moves that are for less than 20 days are insignificant for service issues.

It's not like that really. Each one of the roster moves that are for less than 20 days are insignificant for service issues.

True, and look at the alternative, spending the entire career time in the minor league system and on their $6 day per diem and riding buses everywhere. :)

Dan is gaming the system in multiple ways. On one hand he is getting starts out of Gausman at the major league level while suppressing his service time. While he is doing that he is effectively working with an expanded roster since while Gasuman is in the minors the O's are replacing him with another player.

Just like when Norris and Gonzo were sent down. On one hand they were allowed to start on or near regular rest despite the all star break. On the other hand the O's had additional players at their disposal.

Two birds, one stone.

I am curious to see if this results in some minor tweaking of the rules.

Earl got several rules changed.

I think either I am misreading or you are short handing. Could you flesh out the full thought? Sorry, I'm a simple man. :)

True, and look at the alternative, spending the entire career time in the minor league system and on their $6 day per diem and riding buses everywhere. :)

That was never a possibility with Gausman. He's a generational talent. ;) Caleb Joseph? Yes. But cream does rise to the top. If we had not seen it for Caleb, he would have probably gotten two World Series Rings. Like Eli Whiteside.

I think either I am misreading or you are short handing. Could you flesh out the full thought? Sorry, I'm a simple man. :)
When they send him down and recall him within 20 days it doesn't game the system for service time evidently.

There is a method to Dan's madness here I am certain. I am also certain that the Orioles will have the extra year of control of Gausman but probably not avoiding a super two status. That's all I was suggesting. Also, our guy is ok doing what is right for the team. He's got plenty of money and going to make plenty more.

When they send him down and recall him within 20 days it doesn't game the system for service time evidently.

Based on what? One day on the MLB roster equals one day of service time. You get MLB credit for each day on the 25 man as well as the day that you are assigned to a minor league roster.

There are 183 days of MLB play. A player accrues a full year of service time at 172 days. That means once a player spends more than 20 days on a MiLB roster they cannot earn a full year of service time for that season. For each accrued day of service time in previous seasons you would add a day to that "20" for control purposes. So if Gausman accrued 10 days of service time in 2013, he'd need to spend 30 in the minors in 2014 to make sure he did not go over that full year of service time in the aggregate.

You know what. What am I telling you for? You are the expert. Explain it it to me. I am certain I got it confused with option status. Or one of the other rules that Dan Duquette and his band of octogenarian only seem to understand. I know I don't.

I had the assumption that service time continued to accrue if a player was recalled within 20 days. I am now questioning that.

There is a method to Dan's madness here I am certain. I am also certain that the Orioles will have the extra year of control of Gausman but probably not avoiding a super two status. That's all I was suggesting. Also, our guy is ok doing what is right for the team. He's got plenty of money and going to make plenty more.

I have no doubt Duquette knows exactly what he is doing, and I have no doubt Baltimore will get the extra year of service time. And they'll do it after using Gausman fairly extensively in the pen last year and a fair amount in the rotation this year -- all without having to give him credit for a full year of MLB service. I believe he can spend up to 100 days on the MLB roster without getting credit for his first full season (he had 71 days of service last year).

How novel :rolleyes:

Archived