Yankees are perfectly positioned to get Tex next year

Frobby

You can forget about Mark Teixeira being an Oriole, unless he is just dead set on playing for his home town team.

Assuming that Johan Santana signs a deal with the Mets, that's one less place for the Yanks to go spend $20-25 mm a year next offseason. Meanwhile, contracts for Giambi, Abreu, Pettitte and Mussina come off the books. And they have nobody of note playing 1B now.

In short, there will no limit to what the Yankees can spend to land Tex, and there is every reason in the world for them to make him one of their top priorities, if not the top priority.

And don't forget that Farnsworth and the waste of space Carl Pavano are completely off the books too. However, Tex isn't the only place the Yankees can throw their money at, Sabathia and other notable pitchers could/should be available.

I fully expect some team to offer Tex a 10/200 contract. Would MacPhail/Angelos go that far?

I don't see him getting 10 years but 8 with two option years will probably be the price. 8/160 with options to push it to 10/200 is quite possible.

Unless he has a HUGE year this year, i think some of you are overestimating what Tex will get in FA.

Konerko received a 5/60 deal after 2 straight 40 homer seasons with an OPS in the 900 range.

When Tex signs his contract, he won't be much younger than Konerko was.

Now, Tex has a bigger name and he is a top notch defensive first baseman.

But 6/100 may be the absolute most he gets.

Archived