It's time to start thinking about matching up with OAK/DET in a 5/7 gm series

VeveJones007

With AL East players dropping like flies and the O's playing their best ball, it's now more likely than not that the O's will win the division. It's time for Dan and Buck to start looking ahead at how they can improve the roster to tackle the A's and Tigers in a small sample size.

I'm not sure there's anything the O's can do to improve the team enough to be better than the A's on paper. That team has the most runs in MLB and the 2nd lowest ERA. However, despite having a stronger rotation, the Tigers full team ERA is actually higher than the O's.

What moves would you like to see the organization make to ready itself for this postseason? Should they go all in? Should they sit back and roll with what they already have and see how their luck is in the "crap shoot" as Billy Beane call it?

Why......:confused:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its early to start making those kind of plans but I will bite.

Your not going to make trades that will allow you to match up in terms of pitching with the A's in particular IMO. With that in mind I believe you have to shore up your offense. Right now C and 2B are positions we get some contributions from but not reliably. Improving one of or both of those and improving the bullpen seems to be the area where we can narrow the divide some.

Anything can happen in a series but improving one of those two spots and the pen will help

The A's are filthy. FILTHY. I will be shocked if we don't see either a Tigers/A's or Dodgers/Cardinals Series.

The A's and Cardinals know how to play baseball. Love them or hate 'em, they are scary.

That's how I see it as well, which is why I would be very hesitant to make any substantial moves to weaken the farm system to improve their chances this year.

That's how I see it as well, which is why I would be very hesitant to make any substantial moves to weaken the farm system to improve their chances this year.

The Nationals or Braves may take the over slot with Molina going down for the Cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You realize it's July 10th? We're just over half way done. We should concentrate on making it to a 5-7 game series before worrying about matching up starting pitchers. :rolleyestf:

I knew I would get some responses like this. My response:

Dan and Buck are undoubtedly thinking about this sort of thing, so why can't we? It's the responsible thing to do when you're trying to win a championship. Not a division. A championship.

I think the OP is right and i am pretty sure that DD is considering the moves he can make before August 1st to position the team for the playoffs. I am not saying there is a move(s) that can be made that will position the O's to be favorites in the playoffs, but as a GM DD has to consider what he can do.

This is what my thread about acquiring Chris Sale was all about. Moves like that have to happen before August 1st if they are going to happen and the GM has to be discussing them now to see if they can be made.

Gary Thorne quoted DD as saying that Gausman will be in the rotation right after the break and will stay in the rotation the rest of the season. The thinking here appears to be the Gausman and probably Tillman are the best two starters to get the O's to the playoffs and to compete in the playoffs. They need to be in the five man rotation.

Adding a player like Sale to the rotation improve the O's chances of going deep in the playoff with Sale/Tillman/ Gausman being the playoff starters.

I am not saying that a move like this can be made. Odds are probably against it and it would cost Bundy plus. But I agree with the OP that now is the time to be exploring such moves.

Dan and Buck are undoubtedly thinking about this sort of thing, so why can't we? It's the responsible thing to do when you're trying to win a championship. Not a division. A championship.

NO, right now they are trying to figure out what moves to make to get the team through the next 2 months and give them the opportunity to still be in position to make the playoffs!

With AL East players dropping like flies and the O's playing their best ball, it's now more likely than not that the O's will win the division. It's time for Dan and Buck to start looking ahead at how they can improve the roster to tackle the A's and Tigers in a small sample size.

I'm not sure there's anything the O's can do to improve the team enough to be better than the A's on paper. That team has the most runs in MLB and the 2nd lowest ERA. However, despite having a stronger rotation, the Tigers full team ERA is actually higher than the O's.

What moves would you like to see the organization make to ready itself for this postseason? Should they go all in? Should they sit back and roll with what they already have and see how their luck is in the "crap shoot" as Billy Beane call it?

It is too early to worry about the A's or Det or the playoffs. As for the team I roll

with who they have. Maybe BP pitcher. IMO

So you think those two are concerned about the future when they don't know who

will be in the playoffs. They are concerned about the here and now. You take one

game at a time. IMO

Worst thread ever.

It's mid July so VeveJones007 asked what moves should we make. The trade deadline is around the corner so it seems like a reasonable question. There are other threads out there on the subject but no need to call it the worst.

There is no secret sauce. The key to improving your odds of going through several consecutive short series is to a) have a very good team, and b) get hot/lucky/healthy at just the right time.

There is no difference between assembling a championship team and assembling the best team you can within your given constraints. The way to best increase your odds is to build the best team in baseball. But wasn't that the goal all along?

Archived