It's time to start thinking about matching up with OAK/DET in a 5/7 gm series

VeveJones007

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With AL East players dropping like flies and the O's playing their best ball, it's now more likely than not that the O's will win the division. It's time for Dan and Buck to start looking ahead at how they can improve the roster to tackle the A's and Tigers in a small sample size.

I'm not sure there's anything the O's can do to improve the team enough to be better than the A's on paper. That team has the most runs in MLB and the 2nd lowest ERA. However, despite having a stronger rotation, the Tigers full team ERA is actually higher than the O's.

What moves would you like to see the organization make to ready itself for this postseason? Should they go all in? Should they sit back and roll with what they already have and see how their luck is in the "crap shoot" as Billy Beane call it?

Ve Ve, I am the least superstitious poster here, you know that.

Considering how superstitious many of the posters here ARE, you've got balls, I'll give you that.

For that alone, have a greenie, my Oriole brother.

I wanted us to trade for McCarthy. And if the Yankees collapse between now and the deadline, I would like us to see what they would want for him.

Get a lefty for the pen.

Get a lefty bat that can get on base.

None of these things make us as good as Oakland or Detroit, but its as good as we are going to do.

Hmm. Being that those kids haven't even been born yet, we're probably going to have to talk say, genetics, or census data or something. But we can make this work.

Point is, if you don't want to talk about the topic, why are you insistent that no one else should, either?

Do I really need to further explain? Thinking if you've read my past posts and still don't understand, I'm probably not going to be able to help you.

IMO, talking about what players could help us for the second half of the season to make the playoffs. Is a much better, at this time question, then discussing playoff rotations and how we're going to beat the Tigers or A's.

If you need help with any of the bigger words. I'll provide you with a helpful link

http://dictionary.reference.com/

• 2 weeks later...
With AL East players dropping like flies and the O's playing their best ball, it's now more likely than not that the O's will win the division. It's time for Dan and Buck to start looking ahead at how they can improve the roster to tackle the A's and Tigers in a small sample size.

I'm not sure there's anything the O's can do to improve the team enough to be better than the A's on paper. That team has the most runs in MLB and the 2nd lowest ERA. However, despite having a stronger rotation, the Tigers full team ERA is actually higher than the O's.

What moves would you like to see the organization make to ready itself for this postseason? Should they go all in? Should they sit back and roll with what they already have and see how their luck is in the "crap shoot" as Billy Beane call it?

The Orioles are 5-4 since this thread was started.

More significantly, I think that they played fairly well in their last 6 games against the Athletics and the Angels.

They only went 3-3 in those 6 games, but with the exception of the series finale against the Athletics, I thought that the starting pitching held up pretty well against a couple of very potent offenses.

More significantly, I think that they played fairly well in their last 6 games against the Athletics and the Angels.

They only went 3-3 in those 6 games, but with the exception of the series finale against the Athletics, I thought that the starting pitching held up pretty well against a couple of very potent offenses.

As bad as the Mariners' offense is, the Oriole pitchers still should get some credit for being as effective as they have been for the last 2 games, having no leeway yesterday, and not having lots of leeway the day before (a 4-0 lead from the 3rd inning through the 8th, and then only a 4-2 lead over the final 1.33 innings.)

The Orioles are hanging tough against tough teams (the Athletics and the Angels), tough pitchers (Iwakuma and Hernandez), and sometimes, both at the same time.

10-5, now.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2014-schedule-scores.shtml

Keep it up, Orioles.

Let's make the postseason, regardless of who our opponent(s) is/are.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread was started one month ago.

And the Orioles have gone 17-8 since.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2014-schedule-scores.shtml

In addition to the thread's premature nature of presuming that the Orioles will necessarily win the A.L. East, there is also a situation occurring in the A.L. Central that might have given this thread an additional presumptuous nature ...... the red-hot Royals, winners of 14 out of their last 17 games, are now only a game and-a-half behind the struggling Tigers, who have gone 12-14 since Ve Ve's O.P.

I still believe that the Tigers will still hang on to win their division, but the Ned Yost and company may have something to say about that before all is said and done.

I would prefer to focus on game 1 vs. NYY.

This central division is now making things very interesting. KC is picking up momentum and feels no pressure as the Tigers do. Detroit can't lose now after getting Price. Yet they're being squeezed.

Time to make a thread about how we match up with the Royals. On paper the Tigers are much better than us. Its good these games aren't played on papers. The only team I don't like facing in the playoffs is the A's. It would be nice if the Angels overtook them.

I think its fine for the fans to think about playoff matchups. I wouldn't want the actual players to be thinking about playoff matchups.

Archived