It's time to start thinking about matching up with OAK/DET in a 5/7 gm series

VeveJones007

Not at all. The purpose of all this is for you to respond to this question:

What would you, Weams, do to improve this team's chances of winning the AL?

Perhaps there isn't anything and you feel the O's should just go with what they have. Perhaps you think they need to go all in and acquire an ace. Maybe there's a C you think they should target who won't cost too much and will improve the team.

Super. Thanks for that excellent response. I am not knowledgeable enough to say what goes on when GM's deal. I have an idea that it is always a moving target. You can't just say "I am going to get so and so." Because 14 other teams want that same dude right now. So it is bidding.

Like back when I was in the Automotive world. I looked at the cars I liked, I assigned a value in coin to each one, and then when my value got outbid, I had to think long and hard about whether I was wrong or the other dude was just crazy. Also, if I knew that something had a home already, I threw the book out and kept my hand up.

It must be much like that here, but only on a far grander scale. Kind of like a Sotheby's auction on a Monet. Is it real? Is it stolen, did it use PED's? Is it's arm sore or is Mike Morse's thumb detached? All these things. Is my need so strong that I bid through the roof? Can a moderate improvement get me what I need?

I think Dan is likely looking to improve our offense from the left side, our bullpen from the left side, and our production at second base or left field. I doubt he does much with catching. And I suspect that Bundy and Gausman both stay.

Will the other 29 GM's cooperate? I don't know.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Super. Thanks for that excellent response. I am not knowledgeable enough to say what goes on when GM's deal. I have an idea that it is always a moving target. You can't just say "I am going to get so and so." Because 14 other teams want that same dude right now. So it is bidding.

Like back when I was in the Automotive world. I looked at the cars I liked, I assigned a value in coin to each one, and then when my value got outbid, I had to think long and hard about whether I was wrong or the other dude was just crazy. Also, if I knew that something had a home already, I threw the book out and kept my hand up.

It must be much like that here, but only on a far grander scale. Kind of like a Sotheby's auction on a Monet. Is it real? Is it stolen, did it use PED's? Is it's arm sore or is Mike Morse's thumb detached? All these things. Is my need so strong that I bid through the roof? Can a moderate improvement get me what I need?

I think Dan is likely looking to improve our offense from the left side, our bullpen from the left side, and our production at second base or left field. I doubt he does much with catching. And I suspect that Bundy and Gausman both stay.

IMO, talking about what players could help us for the second half of the season to make the playoffs. Is a much better, at this time question, then discussing playoff rotations and how we're going to beat the Tigers or A's.

Way too early to talk about things like this.

Eh. Unless you're a decidedly superstitious person, I don't think it's unfair to debate hypotheticals. I know I've had thoughts along the lines of "Would they really be able to hang with the big boys in a series?" before.

Eh. Unless you're a decidedly superstitious person, I don't think it's unfair to debate hypotheticals. I know I've had thoughts along the lines of "Would they really be able to hang with the big boys in a series?" before.

Well hell then, let's discuss the parade and post WS party. If you're going to skip the second half of the season, you might as well skip the post season also.

Well hell then, let's discuss the parade and post WS party. If you're going to skip the second half of the season, you might as well skip the post season also.

There are threads about the 2014/2015 free agent class on this message board. People discuss hypothetical futures all the time. If you don't want to participate, don't. I just don't see what's wrong with people talking about it if they so choose.

I'd love to hear your ideas concerning the parade, though.

There might be an acquisition that the O's could make NOW that makes the difference in the postseason. Maybe getting Koji allows them to slot Britton into a fireman role, allowing the O's to make every game 6-7 innings.

That would certainly help in a matchup against the Tigers and shorter games would make a home run here or there even more significant in games against the A's.

There are threads about the 2014/2015 free agent class on this message board. People discuss hypothetical futures all the time. If you don't want to participate, don't. I just don't see what's wrong with people talking about it if they so choose.

I'd love to hear your ideas concerning the parade, though.

Let's discuss the 2050 draft.

there might be an acquisition that the o's could make now that makes the difference in the postseason. Maybe getting koji allows them to slot britton into a fireman role, allowing the o's to make every game 6-7 innings.

That would certainly help in a matchup against the tigers and shorter games would make a home run here or there even more significant in games against the a's.

we have not made the playoffs yet!

I'm pretty much in line with you. I would strongly consider adding a back of the pen reliever to shorten games and help out in extra innings, but I don't think the O's should go crazy and pay the price in specs and payroll to make significant acquisitions.

Let's discuss the 2050 draft.

Hmm. Being that those kids haven't even been born yet, we're probably going to have to talk say, genetics, or census data or something. But we can make this work.

Point is, if you don't want to talk about the topic, why are you insistent that no one else should, either?

Nobody will make the playoffs until the end of September. Does that mean that nobody should make a deadline trade to improve their chances?

OMG!!! You don't discuss/worry about playoff match ups and what we need to defeat the Tigers or A's when we still have to make the playoffs. Exactly why is this SOOOOOOOOOOO hard for you to understand?

OMG!!! You don't discuss/worry about playoff match ups and what we need to defeat the Tigers or A's when we still have to make the playoffs. Exactly why is this SOOOOOOOOOOO hard for you to understand?

Not sure, it got lost somewhere in the extra O's.

Archived