vs. Mariners 7/27

weams

Give one reason, other than you like him in the future, why Schoop should be a starter on team that believes its a World Series contender? He's probably the worst hitter in the entire league with over 300 AB's. I'll have to look it up when I have time.

And yet his WAR is positive. (I actually plan on making a thread discussion on this later today) His defense is valuable. You cannot have all-stars at every position, and we don't have the Yankees' budget. For me, second base isn't a position where I look for a ton of offensive value. So we have Flash ostensibly to replace him. I would argue their offensive value is practically the same as it stands; however, I would argue Schoop's offensive potential is higher, particularly even their ages. So between those two, what's the difference? I'd rather invest in Schoop getting regular reps. There's Lombardozzi in the minors.. I think he might do offensively, but not nearly as such in terms of defense, and when you have the pitchers we have who basically don't strike people out (last in the AL), the defense is of particular importance.

As a side note, if Wieters' season didn't end, Schoop's defense would be enough, but I guess that's irrelevant at the moment.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good point. Oakland has 17 out of their 64 wins without a home run. tigers with 13 wins out of 57 without a homer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

angels with 19 wins out of their 62 without a home run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And yet his WAR is positive. (I actually plan on making a thread discussion on this later today) His defense is valuable. You cannot have all-stars at every position, and we don't have the Yankees' budget. For me, second base isn't a position where I look for a ton of offensive value. So we have Flash ostensibly to replace him. I would argue their offensive value is practically the same as it stands; however, I would argue Schoop's offensive potential is higher, particularly even their ages. So between those two, what's the difference? I'd rather invest in Schoop getting regular reps. There's Lombardozzi in the minors.. I think he might do offensively, but not nearly as such in terms of define, and when you have the pitchers we have who basically don't strike people out (last in the AL), the defense is of particular importance.

As a side note, if Wieters' season didn't end, Schoop's defense would be enough, but I guess that's irrelevant at the moment.

Billy appreciates your technical knowledge and all but my old school eyes say he's a .220 hitter and that stinks.

Good post and comments. I completely agree.If Schoop ends up with say 15 HR's and plays good defense and hits .230 or better, i wouldn't call it a lost season for a rookie.

Many thanks, the home runs are of particular importance in this discussion as well. I'm reminded of a weams thread (cant remember the name) on a home run strategy. We have a low OBP build and play in a small park, so Schoop's better power (in my opinion) is more important than say Flash's slightly better OBP.

Archived