Gotta get help at the black hole at 2nd base

TouchemAll

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Batting average is one of the most over-rated stats in baseball. The difference between hitting .250 and .300 over 500 ab's is 25 hits. The MLB season is 26 weeks, so that's 1 hit per week.

Do you know what the MLB average is for OPS?!

Batting average accounts for roughly 80% of OBP and 67% of Slugging percentage. Thus, batting average accounts for around 75% of OPS. That's not what I would call over-rated. Of course, it all depends on the individual's concept of how others value something he/she believes is "over-rated." If anything, it appears BA is underrated these past 20 years or so.

Batting average accounts for roughly 80% of OBP and 67% of Slugging percentage. Thus, batting average accounts for around 75% of OPS. That's not what I would call over-rated. Of course, it all depends on the individual's concept of how others value something he/she believes is "over-rated." If anything, it appears BA is underrated these past 20 years or so.

It's as over rated as wins are to starting pitchers!

It's as over rated as wins are to starting pitchers!

Schoop is not hitting for average and he is not finding other ways to get on base so the who conversation about the value of average vs other stats in Schoop case is pointless...all his offensive stats suck. Since the ASB Flaherty has not been a whole lot better.

Unless there is a better offensive version who can play reliable defense then I think we have to ride it out. I would have loved to get someone in here to play 2B and send Schoop down to work on his offensive game but if the Cubs wanted Walker or someone like that for Bonafacio....well glad we did not do that.

Schoop is not hitting for average and he is not finding other ways to get on base so the who conversation about the value of average vs other stats in Schoop case is pointless...all his offensive stats suck. Since the ASB Flaherty has not been a whole lot better.

Unless there is a better offensive version who can play reliable defense then I think we have to ride it out. I would have loved to get someone in here to play 2B and send Schoop down to work on his offensive game but if the Cubs wanted Walker or someone like that for Bonafacio....well glad we did not do that.

Do you know where average came into this conversation? Or are you just jumping in the middle without knowing the context?

Do you know where average came into this conversation? Or are you just jumping in the middle without knowing the context?

I read the posts. I do agree with you at some level that average is not the end all be all..it is also a fact that it accounts for about 75-80% of OPS but I noticed you did not address that fact other than bringing up wins for pitchers....that is what you do when you have nothing to back your suppositions. Not sure how you consider something that accounts for 75-80% of OPS as "overrated" ...I doubt even Billy Beane would say something like that. But by all means be snitty, I was just trying to be nice and get the conversation back to the black hole at 2B which interests me far more, rather than saying whatI did. So ya I did read the thread...did you read the facts that were posted before posting your little comment about wins? If so why not address them in a meaningful way....

Isn't that something the hitting coach should be working on? Davis has has had the same problem this season. For all I know, he is working with them, and they're not listening. Whatever, Nelson has had a lousy two months, and Davis has had a lousy four months. Pearce has had a bad couple of weeks.

Just a note-In 1983, even with the Three Stooges (Dempsey, Dauer, Cruz), the Orioles ranked fourth in the league in runs scored, while the pitching staff ranked number one in earned run average.

Yes I'm sure they are working on it. It's a bad habit and the longer you do it the harder it is to correct. It takes a conscious effort to try and hit the ball up the middle/other way to correct.

I read the posts. I do agree with you at some level that average is not the end all be all..it is also a fact that it accounts for about 75-80% of OPS but I noticed you did not address that fact other than bringing up wins for pitchers....that is what you do when you have nothing to back your suppositions. Not sure how you consider something that accounts for 75-80% of OPS as "overrated" ...I doubt even Billy Beane would say something like that. But by all means be snitty, I was just trying to be nice and get the conversation back to the black hole at 2B which interests me far more, rather than saying whatI did. So ya I did read the thread...did you read the facts that were posted before posting your little comment about wins? If so why not address them in a meaningful way....
Batting 245 at AA and 256 at AAA leaves much to be desired.

Is the context of my comment.

I never said OPS was over rated. Just average. Many fans see a player hitting .300 and think he's awesome. You have to use all of them to correctly distinguish the value of players.

Is the context of my comment.

I never said OPS was over rated. Just average. Many fans see a player hitting .300 and think he's awesome. You have to use all of them to correctly distinguish the value of players.

Then why did you conveniently leave out my statement about his terrible OBP? Or his poor OPS? At both AA and AAA?

Archived