It is no fun watching Chris Davis

Specman

Unfortunately Terry Crowley can't get umpires to stop calling strikes 6 inches off the outside corner against Davis.

Between ubiquitous shifts and umpires who call a bigger strike zone for LHB than RHB, left handed hitters will be an endangered species unless MLB does something about the umpires and outlaws the overshift (this wouldn't be hard--you could have a rule that you must play two infielders on each side of 2B on each pitch).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Davis knows they are pitching him away, and if I know that he ought to, then why not look for that pitch and serve it into LF, he certainly could do that if he wanted. Yes he wouldn't hit HR that way but he isn't hitting them now, so what's to lose? If he does that consistently enough they'll change their approach and cut down the shifts.

Apparently, Terry Crowley is now in town to work with Davis.

I'm happy to hear that, but doesn't it seem like that would work better if he could learn to hit from a LHB with off-field power? In Oriole history, Ken Singleton would be the best example because he had outstanding off-field power from the left side.

But it has often bothered me that hitting coaches tend to be some pretty damn weak offensive players. Jim Presley was a maddening offensive player in his day to M's fans and walked less than 1 time every 18 plate appearances (.290 OBP) in an era of higher walks. Does anyone think his approach as a hitter may have something to do with this team's ridiculously low walk totals?

One ore thing about this...What did the 18 straight winning seasons have in common?

A: The Orioles outwalked heir opponents every single one of those seasons.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

This teams refuses to take free passes. They'd rather wave at pitches outside the strike zone in the hopes of making contact.

Our consistent inability to get on base is the reason for this offense's massive slump.

People like to say it's "home run or nothing" and while that isn't entire true, it does appear to be contact or nothing far too often.

Schoop thinks he is Adam jones at this point. We need to replace him with a weeks or lombo, someone who can get on base at a half way decent clip at least.

Unfortunately Terry Crowley can't get umpires to stop calling strikes 6 inches off the outside corner against Davis.

Between ubiquitous shifts and umpires who call a bigger strike zone for LHB than RHB, left handed hitters will be an endangered species unless MLB does something about the umpires and outlaws the overshift (this wouldn't be hard--you could have a rule that you must play two infielders on each side of 2B on each pitch).

Why outlaw the shift? If a team is going to have their entire infield playing to the 1B side of 2B then I'm laying a bunt down the 3B side. It's a free base.

The hacking has been my number one issue throughout the three season resurgence. While we do tend to beat tougher pitchers frequently I worry a lot about this approach in the playoffs. I think it'll be nearly impossible to 'HR or nothing' our way to a world series title. As good as our starting pitching has been lately it'll have to continue giving up only 1 or 2 runs every game in the post season.

It's an endless discussion, I imagine. Do MLB hitters change? What's the real impact of a hitting coach? What would happen if CD bunted every time? And so on... DD keeps talking OBP while doing nothing about it but I understand it's an extremely expensive skill. I never liked Presely as a player and now I see a team taking the same hacktastic approach he did. Still, many of these guys were like that long before Jim was involved and Cabrera, an all time great hitter, gives JP a lot of credit.

I don't have an issue with "how can a guy who was a bad hitter teach hitting?" You can know everything there is about hitting but just not have the necessary physical talent required to hit. Fair enough. A lousy hitter can still be a good hitting teacher. Still, I would much prefer having a hitting coach that preaches approach, selection, situations, etc.

Davis became my favorite Oriole the last two years so this is extremely painful to watch. It's beyond being a slump; he's entirely lost and doing everything wrong. There were clips of him recently hitting soft toss pitches and swinging off the T. Even then it seemed like he was hitting a lot of dribblers and popups. His career could be in peril if this isn't fixed soon and there is a history of him struggling this way; this is the CD Texas gave up.

I guess Adam Dunn is the closest recent comparison. Despite some ugly averages, Dunn has long been a productive hitter but usually not worthy of his salary. There is hope for Davis but he has a huge projection range right now and what do you pay for that? I'm sure glad he wasn't extended. I'd give him the ~10M next year and go from there while praying Christian Walker becomes a great player. I'd also put Davis on waivers and see what happens. If he makes it through someone might think they can fix him and offer something the Orioles might consider.

The hacking has been my number one issue throughout the three season resurgence. While we do tend to beat tougher pitchers frequently I worry a lot about this approach in the playoffs. I think it'll be nearly impossible to 'HR or nothing' our way to a world series title. As good as our starting pitching has been lately it'll have to continue giving up only 1 or 2 runs every game in the post season.

It's an endless discussion, I imagine. Do MLB hitters change? What's the real impact of a hitting coach? What would happen if CD bunted every time? And so on... DD keeps talking OBP while doing nothing about it but I understand it's an extremely expensive skill. I never liked Presely as a player and now I see a team taking the same hacktastic approach he did. Still, many of these guys were like that long before Jim was involved and Cabrera, an all time great hitter, gives JP a lot of credit.

I don't have an issue with "how can a guy who was a bad hitter teach hitting?" You can know everything there is about hitting but just not have the necessary physical talent required to hit. Fair enough. A lousy hitter can still be a good hitting teacher. Still, I would much prefer having a hitting coach that preaches approach, selection, situations, etc.

Davis became my favorite Oriole the last two years so this is extremely painful to watch. It's beyond being a slump; he's entirely lost and doing everything wrong. There were clips of him recently hitting soft toss pitches and swinging off the T. Even then it seemed like he was hitting a lot of dribblers and popups. His career could be in peril if this isn't fixed soon and there is a history of him struggling this way; this is the CD Texas gave up.

This is a pretty good post. So what I have to say here is not really about your post. It is about hitting coaches in general.

What do we think they do?

Do we think they hold classroom sessions daily about approach, process, and pitch recognition - with all the players sitting at desks and Adam Jones throwing spitballs at Ryan Flaherty? I am pretty certain that is not the job. They analyze video, work with hitters on tee work and swing adjustment. They are much more like a swing coach in golf then they are philosopher king.

Many very good hitters were not good coaches or managers. I know last year's Chris Davis was credited to Presley and of course Miguel Cabrera sings his praises.

Don't know. Anyone's guess but the real problem is in his swing/timing. He's not hitting the ball to LF anything like last year. He seemed much better at hitting offspeed mistakes last year. This year, he's late on the fastball and too early on the offspeed stuff. That's what happens when a player is in a slump. He's been in one all year. Injury? The obligue can't still be bothering him? What's different this year? He's married now. That's an easy one! When a player built like Davis puts up numbers like last year there are always the PED rumors. Why would he be on them last year and not this year? I don't have an answer. I just know the shift and bad calls by umps are not even worth talking about when it comes to why he looks so bad this year.

He's been married. The baby is new.

Archived