Much Deserved Separation in the Standings

JR Oriole

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We still haven't run off 9 or 10 in a row. If we do that this race will be history.

It would probably be over at 5 in a row. Neither the Yankees nor the Jays are sniffing 92 wins. Getting to 21 games over would put us on that trajectory if they merely played .500 ball the rest of the way.

Right. And our record in 1 run games over that time has been incredible ... another sign of mental toughness. These guys really do feed off of Buck it seems. No ****. No nonsense. Keep your head down and go about your business. This year we are the best team in the AL East and we should win it. We just need to stay focused and tend to our business and this is Buck's strength and this team seems to be feeding off of that influence.

It's Buck's grind-it-out mindset plus the all-important buy in from team leaders like Jones and Markakis.

I'll also say this: while 2012 felt like the O's were getting very lucky, 2014 doesn't feel that way to me. Even though some of the metrics still say the O's have been fortunate, I think it's clear that the pitching is better and that this is an all around better team.

It's Buck's grind-it-out mindset plus the all-important buy in from team leaders like Jones and Markakis.

I'll also say this: while 2012 felt like the O's were getting very lucky, 2014 doesn't feel that way to me. Even though some of the metrics still say the O's have been fortunate, I think it's clear that the pitching is better and that this is an all around better team.

And we spanked the Nats. And Angels.

We still haven't run off 9 or 10 in a row. If we do that this race will be history.
It would probably be over at 5 in a row.

As I pointed out in another spectrum, the other side of the success coin speaks very well of the Orioles ........ avoiding losing streaks.

The Orioles have not lost 2 games in a row in 33 games.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2014-schedule-scores.shtml

The last time that the Orioles lost 2 games in a row was on June 28th and June 29th, against the D-Rays.

Of the many positive attributes that this team has, putting a loss behind them is right up there with any of the others.

Actions speak louder than word. Any manager, any player will always say, "We just have to put this loss behind us."

PROOF that you can indeed put said losses behind you bear out in the results on the field. And going 33 consecutive games without so much as a 2-game losing streak certainly bears that out.

As I pointed out in another spectrum, the other side of the success coin speaks very well of the Orioles ........ avoiding losing streaks.

The last time that the Orioles lost 2 games in a row was on June 28th and June 29th, against the D-Rays.

Of the many positive attributes that this team has, putting a loss behind them is right up there with any of the others.

Actions speak louder than word. Any manager, any player will always say, "We just have to put this loss behind us."

PROOF that you can indeed put said losses behind you bear out in the results on the field. And going 33 consecutive games without so much as a 2-game losing streak certainly bears that out.

Great stat, OFFNY. Shows what a great job Buck is doing with the team. Every day is a new day. Don't dwell on the past whether it was a win or a loss.

I think psychological toughness is part of it, but even more important is consistent starting pitching. It makes it so much easier to stop a losing streak in its tracks if you have a "stopper" whom you know is not going to give up many runs the next game. Fortunately we have five guys that are pretty dependable at picking us up from a loss the night before.

With a substantial negative run differential the Yankees are the lucky ones this year. I see the Os winning much more of a product of a well defined pitching staff who have gotten stronger as the season has gone on.

Make that 37 consecutive games.

The Orioles have gone 37 consecutive games without so much as a 2-game losing streak.

No sexy 8 or 9-game winning streaks so far this year, but they sure as hell stem the bleeding of a loss pretty well.

Right. This is the formula. 6 great innings out of a rested starter becomes a 6 inning game for the other team with Miller/O'Day/Britton; add a 2 or 3 run homer and stir. The home run is a much bigger weapon in a low scoring game. We have a very big singular advantage over most of the other playoff teams in this regard. Even CD hitting under .200 has 19 dingers (on a pace for 25). We can win a low scoring game with one swing. That gives us the proverbial sluggers chance in any playoff game. It also makes the Andrew Miller acquisition all the more notable, in shortening the game to 6 innings.

You might want to re-run those numbers. You may be including games he didn't play in for his per-game rate.

Jays lose 11-1 as they let Hutchison and Mills absorb the punishment to allow the rest of the bullpen to recover from their 19 inning win on Sunday. So now we have a six game lead on the Jays, seven on the Yankees. But, we are going to be without Manny for a while, so that lead feels a bit less comfortable than I would have guessed 24 hours ago.

Archived