Much Deserved Separation in the Standings

JR Oriole

As happy as I am that we are playing well, I am also really happy to see our divisional opponents lose. We have gone 12-6 since the break against top flight competition, so if anything we deserve to have a little breathing room at the top. It was annoying as hell to see Tampa, Toronto, and NY all go on these long winning streaks and I am very glad to see them losing games now while we keep it going.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As happy as I am that we are playing well, I am also really happy to see our divisional opponents lose. We have gone 12-6 since the break against top flight competition, so if anything we deserve to have a little breathing room at the top. It was annoying as hell to see Tampa, Toronto, and NY all go on these long winning streaks and I am very glad to see them losing games now while we keep it going.

I think our guys totally expect to win each and every time they go out. They are carrying a great deal of swagger into every game and we can see it coming though the TV. Each starting pitcher is out there expecting to throw zeros up every inning. I would be shocked at this point if we have a let down.

I think our guys totally expect to win each and every time they go out. They are carrying a great deal of swagger into every game and we can see it coming though the TV. Each starting pitcher is out there expecting to throw zeros up every inning. I would be shocked at this point if we have a let down.

I would be shocked if we don't. Doesn't mean we won't win the division, the league championship, or even the world series. But there are a lot of games left and I don't expect a smooth road all the way.

The O's now have the largest lead of any divisional leader.

Pretty amazing given everything that's happened to this team in terms of injuries and under performance from key players like Davis and Jimenez.

Wonder when the media will notice?

Pretty amazing given everything that's happened to this team in terms of injuries and under performance from key players like Davis and Jimenez.

And without Weets. But forget the media. Just keep winning.

There really haven't been injuries other than Wieters. Unless you count Machado.

Under performance has been big for Davis but other guys over performed to make up for it for a while (Cruz, Pearce). It's good to have a good TEAM and that's what makes these guys so easy to root for. Everybody contributes.

On 6/5 we were 6.5 games out of first. In 2 months we picked up 11.5 games on the Jays. Pretty amazing.

There really haven't been injuries other than Wieters. Unless you count Machado.

Under performance has been big for Davis but other guys over performed to make up for it for a while (Cruz, Pearce). It's good to have a good TEAM and that's what makes these guys so easy to root for. Everybody contributes.

And Pearce, Young, Joseph, Lombardozzi (the season goes way back!), Brach, Britton, O'Day, McFarland, and most of the darn starting rotation.

On 6/5 we were 6.5 games out of first. In 2 months we picked up 11.5 games on the Jays. Pretty amazing.

The thing about that is this, the Orioles have been playing consistent baseball all year long, while the teams around them have waxed and waned like the tides. The Jays got super hot, went on an unsustainable run, and came crashing back to Earth. They are a team that has trouble staying healthy, with an inconsistent pitching staff and no real bullpen to speak of.

Back in '12, Buck and some of the players used to say that it was actually fine that the media didn't notice--it put less pressure on the team. Back then the big easy complaint from the media was our backwards Pythagorean stat; this year, we're still "overperforming" it, but at least it's positive (projection: 60-52;actual: 64-48). If not that, then something else they'll pick on I'm sure (luck in extra-innings, etc.); it's about playing up to the big media markets and Baltimore doesn't quite rate yet.

Wow :eek:

And this is, IMO, with us not really ever firing on all cylinders. Not that we ever will, but we've seen that our offense AND pitching/defense are equally capable of carrying us through low- or high-scoring games.

The thing about that is this, the Orioles have been playing consistent baseball all year long, while the teams around them have waxed and waned like the tides. The Jays got super hot, went on an unsustainable run, and came crashing back to Earth. They are a team that has trouble staying healthy, with an inconsistent pitching staff and no real bullpen to speak of.

buck.jpg

They notice. They just choose not to acknowledge. Now that Boston and Tampa have essentially punted, the national media seemingly either hopes the Yankees get hot or they will completely ignore the AL East altogether.

This is an interesting point, Silent. They haven't been streaky at all this year, really, the Orioles. They've just churned along. It reminds me of 2012 a bit. We mainly just won one series after another. I wonder how much Buck and his "grinder" personality has to do with that. It seems to me like a consistency/effort thing as much as anything else.

Archived