I don't think the way we are winning is sustainable

brianod

Davis has been lost most of the season. Cruz had his best half ever and has been lost since them. Adam is Adam. I'm not confident in him when he's facing a good pitcher painting the corners and throwing a low and outside slider. Caleb has been great but you can't count on his offense. Our 2bs can't be counted on. Hardy has lost his power but is still contributing. All in all, I'm not confident we will be anything other then average from here on out. Yes, I expect us to improve as the season goes on and we face easier pitching, but, I think our offense is average at best.

Average at best looks like it may be good enough to get us a division title. It just isn't that easy to erase a five game lead in 48 games. If we play .500 ball, the Yankees and Blue Jays will have to play >.600 ball to beat us. And despite our offensive slump, it's hard to envision the O's playing sub-.500 the rest of the way.

As to the post-season, I'll worry more about that when I see how all the teams are playing at the end of the season. But one thing is certain, this team won't go down without a fight. We are 13-7 since the break, playing exclusively against teams with winning records. That speaks to the team's tenacity, and though you can choose to look at the glass as half-empty, I see it as 65% full.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Average at best looks like it may be good enough to get us a division title. It just isn't that easy to erase a five game lead in 48 games. If we play .500 ball, the Yankees and Blue Jays will have to play >.600 ball to beat us. And despite our offensive slump, it's hard to envision the O's playing sub-.500 the rest of the way.

As to the post-season, I'll worry more about that when I see how all the teams are playing at the end of the season. But one thing is certain, this team won't go down without a fight. We are 13-7 since the break, playing exclusively against teams with winning records. That speaks to the team's tenacity, and though you can choose to look at the glass as half-empty, I see it as 65% full.

65 %

I've always agreed with the assertion that pitching and defense is between 60 and 70 % of winning baseball.

A coinkydink that you chose 65 % ???

Perhaps.

But that (pitching and defense) is precisely what has been the backbone of the Orioles' 30-15 record over their last 45 games, which has seen them go from being 5 games behind the division leader to being 5 games ahead of the pack.

JUNE 26th:O 35-34 (5 Games Back)

TODAY:OOOooo 65-49 (5 Games Ahead)

SOURCE: Roy Firestone's Thread (It All Begins With Decent Starting Pitching)

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/141339-It-all-begins-with-decent-starting-pitching/page6

If the Orioles win the World Series in 5 games, people here will be *****ing that it wasn't done in 4.

If the Orioles win the World Series in 4 games, people here will be *****ing that they still hold Jim Johnson personally responsible for the Orioles' demise in the 2012 divisional playoff series against the Yankees, and that they will never forgive him.

Our pitching has been damn good ever since weiters went down, which was a while ago. Im not expecting the pitching to suddenly regress much. Ad for the offense, its been piss poor for a couple weeks with 3 guys, who usually are great hitters, slumping bad. They wont slump forever and the O will improve.

I would much rather have a winning team that has great defense and a lockdown bullpen than one that just pounds opponents into submission with hitting.

That being said, I am still hoping the O's can pick up a bat, preferrably LH, before Aug 31.

Davis has been lost most of the season. Cruz had his best half ever and has been lost since them. Adam is Adam. I'm not confident in him when he's facing a good pitcher painting the corners and throwing a low and outside slider. Caleb has been great but you can't count on his offense. Our 2bs can't be counted on. Hardy has lost his power but is still contributing. All in all, I'm not confident we will be anything other then average from here on out. Yes, I expect us to improve as the season goes on and we face easier pitching, but, I think our offense is average at best.

Way to cover your bases.

The O's are 16 games above average despite the woes of the offense.

And yet, you expect the team to improve?

And Adam? No hitter is good if a good pitcher is painting corners.

If the starting pitchers can maintain getting 18-21 outs on a very consistent basis, the O's will be OK. If the pitching falters it doesn't matter what the offense does.

i

Way to cover your bases.

The O's are 16 games above average despite the woes of the offense.

And yet, you expect the team to improve?

And Adam? No hitter is good if a good pitcher is painting corners.

If the starting pitchers can maintain getting 18-21 outs on a very consistent basis, the O's will be OK. If the pitching falters it doesn't matter what the offense does.

i

I think the front office also thinks the starting rotation will come back to earth and was why they were interested in Lester but the price was too high so they went the nest best way add a bullpen arm and make it a 6 inning game. The rotation can go 6IP and 3ER and I like our chances.

Archived