Gonzalez optioned to Norfolk

mdbdotcom

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Smoltz threw hard, they had no closer, and he had command. Ubaldo has a low nineties fastball, We have three closers, and he has no command.

He was a starter, who at the time had not pitched out of the pen. That was the only comparison I was making. He was ten times the pitcher Jimenez is.

The O's gave him a huge (for them) contract - there's no chance he goes to the bullpen - especially with the pen the O's have assembled. Hopefully, he builds up value by finishing strong (which he did in spades last season), so the O's can unload him at some point next season. If he had lost today, I would hate his guts right now. He owes Gonzalez big time, and if had blown this game, it'd be an insult to the entire team.

The O's management did the right thing for the organization by sending Gonzo down, and I'm sure he'll be back up, but it's still a slap in the face to Gonzo and most of his teammates.

Ubaldo will never go to the pen. Just release him and call it a day if that is the answer.

The O's will not eat a $50 mil contract. He will get every opportunity to get his act together. Matusz needs to pitch better or I think he will be the next one to go. It doesn't look like Buck has too much confidence in him right now. The Cardinal got two bloop hits off him and Buck yanked him really quick with a 6 run lead. I would rather have that spot for Gonzo, but he probably doesn't want to go to the pen. It has worked out really well for Britton and if he wants to help the team thats what he needs to do.

The O's gave him a huge (for them) contract - there's no chance he goes to the bullpen - especially with the pen the O's have assembled. Hopefully, he builds up value by finishing strong (which he did in spades last season), so the O's can unload him at some point next season. If he had lost today, I would hate his guts right now. He owes Gonzalez big time, and if had blown this game, it'd be an insult to the entire team.

The O's management did the right thing for the organization by sending Gonzo down, and I'm sure he'll be back up, but it's still a slap in the face to Gonzo and most of his teammates.

Now that I can get on board with doing. Build up his value and then ship him off to some unsuspecting NL team. With a dupe for a GM. A guy in Philly comes to mind. Actually, Moreno likes to spend frivolously.

Go, Ubaldo, Go!

The Orioles were kind of forced into this move because of Jimenez's big contract, and Buck's desire for a seven man BP. Still, if I were Gonzo, I'd be pissed as hell, especially after proving he was better than the guy replacing him.

At any moment, I expect to hear about a post-waiver trade involving Brian Matusz and a recall of either Gonzo or Webb from Norfolk.

The Orioles were kind of forced into this move because of Jimenez's big contract, and Buck's desire for a seven man BP. Still, if I were Gonzo, I'd be pissed as hell, especially after proving he was better than the guy replacing him.

At any moment, I expect to hear about a post-waiver trade involving Brian Matusz and a recall of either Gonzo or Webb from Norfolk.

Matusz is pitching way to well right now. He has been one of the best relievers in all of baseball for about a month and a half. No reason to mess with the current bullpen either. Everyone has their role. And having Matusz and Miller allows Buck nore matchups. For example, he can use Matusz in the 6th and Miller in the 8th against lefty heavy teams like the Yankees, Jays, or Mariners. And with Matusz pitching well we have two elite lefty middle relievers/set up men. That's huge. Buck was barely using Webb before he got optioned anyway so I don't see them making a trade to make room for him.

Ubaldo is the better pitcher. He may not be having the better year but he has shown in the past that he can a dominant guy. MiGo has shown he is a gutsy guy who manages to get the best out of his talent. In a perfect world MiGo would be up here and in the rotation but the move is the right one IMO for now.

Ubaldo is the better pitcher. He may not be having the better year but he has shown in the past that he can a dominant guy. MiGo has shown he is a gutsy guy who manages to get the best out of his talent. In a perfect world MiGo would be up here and in the rotation but the move is the right one IMO for now.

Oh?

Career     ERA+    WHIPUbaldo      110    1.36Gonzalez    112    1.27

Ubaldo has had better seasons than Gonzalez but he hasn't been the better pitcher in his career.

Oh?
Career     ERA+    WHIPUbaldo      110    1.36Gonzalez    112    1.27

Ubaldo has had better seasons than Gonzalez but he hasn't been the better pitcher in his career.

Ubaldo is wildly inconsistent. When he is on though Gonzalez cant touch his stuff...its really that simple. Nobody will ever hand Gonzales a 4 year 50 million dollar deal there were several other teams offering close to what Orioles signed Ubaldo for. Fair or not teams pay for potential even if that potential is inconsistently achieved. Ubaldo when he is on is a TOR guy, when he is not, he is a #5. The O's knew this when they signed him. Its the reason Ubaldo got 12.5 per year over 4 years rather than 20 million per over 5 years. If Ubaldo gets hot in Sept and Oct and manages to throw a few really dominant games in the playoffs, DD will kick back and smile, light a cigar and be perfectly fine with the 12.5 million he handed Ubaldo this year. DD signed Ubaldo with the hopes that in 2 or so of the years he has him, he gets hot at just the right time.

Nobody will ever hand Gonzales a 4 year 50 million dollar deal

I think you'd be surprised. The O's still have Gonzalez under control for a few more years. Let him stay healthy and continue the performance that he's shown to date, and I bet you he'd get a contract in that neighborhood.

Easily the most underappreciated guy on the roster, IMO. He's a great guy so I doubt he'll make any waves, but I've got to think he's not pleased with this.

I think you'd be surprised. The O's still have Gonzalez under control for a few more years. Let him stay healthy and continue the performance that he's shown to date, and I bet you he'd get a contract in that neighborhood.

Easily the most underappreciated guy on the roster, IMO. He's a great guy so I doubt he'll make any waves, but I've got to think he's not pleased with this.

I like Gonzales, I think he is unappreciated but he just does not have the elite level stuff that Ubaldo does when he is on. Its more about what you need most, do you need slow and steady (Gonzalez) or do you want the guy who is inconsistent but capable of burning like a supernova at times (Ubaldo) and other times looking like black hole. Right now Chen, Tillman, KG and Norris are pretty steady and consistently putting up good performances, I think you have to take a chance you can get Ubaldo to where he needs to be come October, he can be a game changer. You have a six game lead and 4 other starters who are steady, its the right move and its why they made it...well that and money but ultimately even if Ubaldo was on a one year 15 million dollar deal they would make this move and take a shot, he would just have a shorter leash than his current contract gives him.

Jiminez's playoff stats are pretty mediocre.

Even when he was in his prime, he was still walking guys in the playoffs at an astronomical rate.

16 bb's in 28 career playoff innings. SSS obviousky, but still, I'm not sure there is any reason to expect "lightning in a bottle" from ubaldo if/when we make the playoffs. 1.50 career playoff whip. That's not going to play in Camden yards.

Gonzo was nails in his only playoff start in 2012. Just saying.

Nobody will ever hand Gonzales a 4 year 50 million dollar deal there were several other teams offering close to what Orioles signed Ubaldo for.

There was literally no one willing to give what Baltimore gave, which is why Ubaldo was still around and available when spring training started.

Archived