Gonzalez optioned to Norfolk

mdbdotcom

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They are certainly opening themselves up for criticism if Ubaldo gets bombed the next couple of starts.

Yes, but what else can you do with Ubaldo? As a starter he pitches every fifth day. In the bullpen, nobody does that- they pitch more often. So, Ubaldo in the pen means you're bullpen suffers more- you cannot hide him there. Keep Ubaldo as a starter and on a real short leash, that's the best we can do.

I think something could be done this year and not jeopardize the remaining three years of the deal.

If they put him on revocable waivers and let him get claimed, I wouldn't be shocked. He'd probably win 30 a year for the Cubs.

Yes, but what else can you do with Ubaldo? As a starter he pitches every fifth day. In the bullpen, nobody does that- they pitch more often. So, Ubaldo in the pen means you're bullpen suffers more- you cannot hide him there. Keep Ubaldo as a starter and on a real short leash, that's the best we can do.

Of course you can hide him there. They hid Gregg there for months in 2012. You only need to hide him for three weeks.

This is disappointing.

The goal of the organization should be to WIN. The 25-man roster should be comprised of the 25 healthy players who give us the best chance to WIN. Does anyone on here feel more confident with Ubaldo today than you would if Miggy was taking the hill??? ANYONE?!?

This is strictly an administrative type move that might be OK in April or May but not mid-August in the heat of a pennant race. I don't like to see anyone lose their job due to injury but Ubaldo's performance did nothing to earn him a spot the moment he got healthy, especially considering how the rotation has done without him. Obviously we can't cut the guy, but bury him in the 'pen until a starter falters. You could argue that "Ubaldo has a history that says he'll get better" but we've already got 5 guys doing just fine.

Goodness and here I thought the team was winning and in first place.

But does the same risk/reward scenario work when the rest of the staff is pitching well and Ubaldo is setting a career worse mark in walks?

You guys do realize that despite the time off he is still leading the AL in walks?

Exactly. That's why I was fine with seeing if we could catch lightning in a bottle and maybe he recaptures the form he had in the second half of last year. However, we have a lead and why should we give away games when Gonzalez has been very good over the last month save one mediocre performance.

It's curious move when there were other moves available with a rested BP. We have more length at the back end of it right now with the addition of Miller and either one of Brach or TJ could have been sent down.

Although, I noticed in the MASN story it makes mention of Buck checking on a couple of nagging injuries. Could it be that someone finds themselves on DL to necessitate Miggy's return if Ubaldo has a bad outing?

We have enough of a lead that two lousy starts shouldn't kill us. Clearly, they signed him with the idea that Good Ubaldo was worth the risk of Bad Ubaldo.

I hope you're right, but a couple of lousy starts could certainly have a ripple effect on several other games if Buck has to burn the 'pen in the 4th or 5th inning every time Ubaldo starts.

I really hope Ubaldo does well the rest of the season, but from what I've seen so far from him, my confidence in him is pretty low.

And it's not like we're ahead by 10-12 games. One or two bad games from Jiminez could be the difference between a division title and a wild-card berth... or no playoffs at all.

Archived