Gonzalez optioned to Norfolk

mdbdotcom

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think Peterson is going to be able to fix him.

How can you look at that delivery and NOT try and fix it? I am sure he has been worked on every step of the way and yet, here he is.

Actually it hasn't. Jimenez has stated he never felt comfortable with anything other than the delivery he's always used. And I said if the walks didn't improve. That way they could say,"Hey, listen it's not working your way. We want you to try something else or work out of the pen. Which is it?"

Obviously, I live a rich fantasy life.

It's not a matter of respect it's a matter of numbers. There is only so many spots.

1. Buck is a loyalty guy. He won't turn his back on his guy. His big FA. So Jimenez had a spot locked up.

2. Chen is the only lefty.

3. Tillman won 16 games.

5. Norris has too much experience and service time. He's made 146 starts.

4. Gausman is probably the only other option to be DFA'ed. But we all know he's the Golden Boy with no fastball control and if he was sent down there would be riots outside the stadium and on this board.

So there you have it. Gonzo had to go.

Gonzo has earned as much loyalty as anyone on the staff. He's pitched his heart out for three seasons. He was as good as anyone on the staff down the stretch in 2012.

There were other options, such as going to a 6 man rotation (with pitchers taking turns being rested) and sending TJ or Brach down until the rosters expand.

I just know there was a whole lot of hand wringing in the offseason when we didn't sign a pitcher. I know not everyone wanted Ulbado but I'd say 90% wanted him and also wanted us to still sign Ervin, can't have it both ways guys. He is not going to be Dfa'd any talk of that is just stupid.

I think this is an ok decision even though the consequences suck because Gonzalez so obviously deserves to stay in the majors based on his recent performance.

But I think our long-term memory problems as baseball fans clouds just how different Gonzalez and Jimenez are. There's a strong argument there that Jimenez is the better pitcher than Gonzalez. At the end of June Ubaldo's ERA was actually better than Miguel's. It's just been Miguel's 6 stellar starts since Ubaldo's injury that have made their seasons look so different, and there's always the possibility Ubaldo could go on such a hot streak as well.

I feel bad for Gonzalez but as far as this affects the Orioles I am not worried at all. Miguel will get his chances again with the Orioles regardless of how Ubaldo pitches, Ubaldo won't be allowed to last long in the pennant race rotation if he is truly stinking it up, and the difference between them isn't much anyway. It's not as if we are replacing Clayton Kershaw with ~2005 Sidney Ponson.

I disagree. I think you have to give Ubaldo the opportunity to be the pitcher he was at the end of last season. If he does that, we should go far in the post-season. If he doesn't, sit him down and give the spot to Gonzalez.

Ding, ding!

This is giving big U the chance to be an ace right at the end.

Sad for gonzo sure. But I for one am pleased this is the problem faced by the orioles in August.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Buck suggested Gonzalez could make 1 start for Norfolk and accompany <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> to chicago</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">August 9, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Buck suggested Gonzalez could make 1 start for Norfolk and accompany <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> to chicago</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">August 9, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Just have to unload Matusz between now and then and put Gonzo in the pen.

I figured Miquel to lose his spot in rotation with Jiminez coming back. It was either him or Chen but Chen was the only left handed. I guess they want him to keep starting so if someone goes down with injury he could step right back into the rotation. Jimenez should really the one going down but he doesn't have options.

Also, Chen makes about $4m, while Gonzo make just above the minimum ($529,000). That may have

something to do with the decision.

Very tough decision, and I have to admit, while I don't really like it, I don't know what option would have been better. Maybe stash Ubaldo in the bullpen and send down McFarland or Brach?

Ubaldo will never go to the pen. Just release him and call it a day if that is the answer.

Ding, ding!

This is giving big U the chance to be an ace right at the end.

Sad for gonzo sure. But I for one am pleased this is the problem faced by the orioles in August.

Ding, ding??? Like he hasn't chance to pitch like that already this season. Gimme a break. I'm glad he went 6 IP (that's what I'd hoped for before today) but he still walked three in the first two innings and once again had to pitch out of trouble. He was bailed out by a great defensive play in the 1st that also could have changed things.

Many people wanted see a stretch of three or four games from Gausman or others in the past why is this guy any different? And he's not being paid like an ace so I certainly don't expect him to perform like one.

I'd rather rest our fortunes on Tillman, Norris, heck, even Gonzo before calling Jimenez an ace.

Very tough decision, and I have to admit, while I don't really like it, I don't know what option would have been better. Maybe stash Ubaldo in the bullpen and send down McFarland or Brach?

Based on their recent performance, Brach and McFarland deserve to stay also.

Archived