Excellent article on pitch framing and how the Orioles amongst others have benefitted

xian4

I thought Caleb was good... nice to see some confirmation in the numbers.

And Lucroy, holy crap is he good.

I read a piece a day or two ago suggesting that Locroy is good enough to influence the pitch locations from his pitchers. In other words his pitchers are more likely to aim low in the zone knowing that he can get them that pitch.

If true that is a nice advantage.

This is definitely hard to parse out. I am sure that it has a lot to do with the pitchers as well. Some guys surely are naturally better at being able to put pitches just off the plate. Glavine was a master at this. At a certain point you have to question who is really responsible for getting the close calls.

I would also be very interested to see whether pitchers like Jimenez get the same rate of close calls as others.

I read a piece a day or two ago suggesting that Locroy is good enough to influence the pitch locations from his pitchers. In other words his pitchers are more likely to aim low in the zone knowing that he can get them that pitch.

If true that is a nice advantage.

When Britton has been at his best, Caleb has been plucking strikes right off his shoe tops.

• 5 months later...

Here's some more on framing and it's importance in developing catchers.

“A lot of guys in pro ball don’t like the term – they prefer ‘receiving’ – but you are framing the strike zone,” said Weinstein. “With fastballs, pitchers only hit their target 24% of the time. A catcher’s job is to help the pitcher any way he can.”

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/sunday-notes-badenhop-perez-weinstein-on-framing-cowart-renda-more/

Archived