Blocking the plate.

bpilktree

Amazing how he wines about name calling when he he dishes it out so easily himself and is easily the rudest person on the board.
There is a difference between pointing out stupidity and calling someone stupid. A difference stupid people have a hard time distinguishing. I would prefer they didn't have the rule, it would be a lot more fun, but since they do I think it should apply to everyone. Of course we know it doesn't.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is a difference between pointing out stupidity and calling someone stupid. A difference stupid people have a hard time distinguishing. I would prefer they didn't have the rule, it would be a lot more fun, but since they do I think it should apply to everyone. Of course we know it doesn't.

Is there a line? Sure. Is me calling you rude an insult then? That you're more nuanced and push the edge in your general rudeness and demeanor isn't much of an excuse for your lack of a stomach for being able to take what you dish out.

Is there a line? Sure. Is me calling you rude an insult then? That you're more nuanced and push the edge in your general rudeness and demeanor isn't much of an excuse for your lack of a stomach for being able to take what you dish out.
I enjoy language, and so would be happy for someone to skewer me with nuance and subtlety. But I abhor crude tempts at ad hominem arguments, and simple minded use of language. Your calling me rude is boring. You really don't get it.

I enjoy language, and so would be happy for someone to skewer me with nuance and subtlety. But I abhor crude tempts at ad hominem arguments, and simple minded use of language. Your calling me rude is boring. You really don't get it.

Enjoying language and enjoying hearing yourself talk may not be mutually exclusive, but neither are they the same thing.

Oh yes. I know. You're using "maroon" and subtle tactics like indirect responses/insults just make you so creative in your rudeness. Your genius is just so unappreciated.

So with that logic, there's a difference between calling someone a cantankerous jerk and pointing out that they seem to get off on being one.

Keep in mind, the 3rd base line matches the angle of the back of the plate, seen here:

339e94c0-db39-41cd-929e-71a865242156_zps3b4872c4.jpg

This is not Davis' route to the plate, just a visual aid to keep in mind during the gif I put together below.

gifpal-20140827145334_zps872a7da2.gif

To me, this is blocking the plate. Catcher does not have the ball until frame 3. But yeah, its very close.

From this angle, it seems like there is plenty of plate to touch, but if the viewing angle was from the 3rd base side, I don't think it would appear that so much was available.

Just because the catcher is standing and able to move his feet doesn't mean his positioning isn't impeding the runner's path. He even hockey-style kick saves in frame 5 to block the plate.

I realize that this is slowed down to a few frames and not what can always happen in the moment. IMO, this rule is not done being written.

Keep in mind, the 3rd base line matches the angle of the back of the plate, seen here:

339e94c0-db39-41cd-929e-71a865242156_zps3b4872c4.jpg

This is not Davis' route to the plate, just a visual aid to keep in mind during the gif I put together below.

gifpal-20140827145334_zps872a7da2.gif

To me, this is blocking the plate. Catcher does not have the ball until frame 3. But yeah, its very close.

From this angle, it seems like there is plenty of plate to touch, but if the viewing angle was from the 3rd base side, I don't think it would appear that so much was available.

Just because the catcher is standing and able to move his feet doesn't mean his positioning isn't impeding the runner's path. He even hockey-style kick saves in frame 5 to block the plate.

I realize that this is slowed down to a few frames and not what can always happen in the moment. IMO, this rule is not done being written.

I have a feeling that Davis won't be going around the catcher to avoid the collision if that ever happens again.

I have a feeling that Davis won't be going around the catcher to avoid the collision if that ever happens again.

I think it's just really hard for the runners to be decisive on this now. It just happens too fast and the risk of injury is shifted heavily and unnecessarily towards the runner now imo.

I think it's just really hard for the runners to be decisive on this now. It just happens too fast, and the risk of injury is shifted heavily and unnecessarily towards the runner now, imo.

I think so, too.

As you state, the runners might be the ones that get hurt in the act of trying to avoid a collusion at the last split second by changing directions and twisting a knee, and ankle, etc.

That was something that I thought of immediately when watching the slow-mo replay (relieved that Davis didn't get hurt changing the direction of his path so quickly at the last split-second.)

I think so, too.

As you state, the runners might be the ones that get hurt in the act of trying to avoid a collusion at the last split second by changing directions and twisting a knee, and ankle, etc.

That was something that I thought of immediately when watching the slow-mo replay (relieved that Davis didn't get hurt changing the direction of his path so quickly at the last split-second.)

Hardy was!!!

Sprained thumb during Cardinals series. Couldn't hold a bat sufficiently and missed multiple games.

The problem is now entirely the runners. Catchers now are nearly completely off limits, which makes runners the ones at risk. And if the runner can overcome this over cautiousness and play at full speed around the plate they should have a plate/target they can reliably aim for.

Hardy thought he'd have the plate so he slid in a comfortable way. AJ P violated that space and planted his foot in that zone. Hardy, not expecting the plate to be blocked -- at all -- sticks his thumb right into AJ P's shin guard.

To make it cut and dry, catchers must show the plate in its entirety, and can swipe tag or place their glove in wait for the runner. Runners will need more rules too to define where the reasonable path is that they are allowed to travel.

There is more work to be done if it's not just about concussions, but player safety. Then again, look at the resistance to things like pitcher's head safety. Baseball opened themselves up for real scrutiny when they changed this rule, allowed replays and allowed challenges. Everyone has a serious interest in seeing their own side the one that is sided with, the fact that it is a scoring play means much bigger things than an occasional transfer ruling at 2nd.

Hardy was!!!

Sprained thumb during Cardinals series. Couldn't hold a bat sufficiently and missed multiple games.

The problem is now entirely the runners. Catchers now are nearly completely off limits, which makes runners the ones at risk. And if the runner can overcome this over cautiousness and play at full speed around the plate they should have a plate/target they can reliably aim for.

Hardy thought he'd have the plate so he slid in a comfortable way. AJ P violated that space and planted his foot in that zone. Hardy, not expecting the plate to be blocked -- at all -- sticks his thumb right into AJ P's shin guard.

To make it cut and dry, catchers must show the plate in its entirety, and can swipe tag or place their glove in wait for the runner. Runners will need more rules too to define where the reasonable path is that they are allowed to travel.

There is more work to be done if it's not just about concussions, but player safety. Then again, look at the resistance to things like pitcher's head safety. Baseball opened themselves up for real scrutiny when they changed this rule, allowed replays and allowed challenges. Everyone has a serious interest in seeing their own side the one that is sided with, the fact that it is a scoring play means much bigger things than an occasional transfer ruling at 2nd.

I really dislike all the changes made just for safety sake. It's not like this is football guys. Really low incident of life altering injury other than typical sports related arthritic issues later in life. Not a lot of suicides either. RIP Mike.

I really dislike all the changes made just for safety sake. It's not like this is football guys. Really low incident of life altering injury other than typical sports related arthritic issues later in life. Not a lot of suicides either. RIP Mike.

Yeah, I went thru a McDonalds the other day and they had German Shepherds at the drive thru speakers. They were looking for bombs.

Archived