vs. RAYS, 9/05

OFFNY

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only thing that bothers me about losing this game (because every team loses games) is that the loss falls squarely on the Orioles' "B" squad. Webb and Meek were in the minors for most of the season for a reason.

See, that's the thing that doesn't bother me about this game. If the O's lose, they will have lost because of a bunch of pitchers who won't be on their postseason roster anyway. Kind of like in spring training, where the O's lose with a bunch of players who aren't going to make their major league roster.

I think this was just one of those nights when we weren't going to score even if the game went 20 innings.

I think it is a pretty harmless loss since NY lost. And if Boston can steal this game in the 9th, then the division will look the same as it did this morning.

Look at the bright side.....we don't have to see that MF Cobb until 2015. I would rather face Kershaw than deal with this dude again. Dammit he kills our hitters. I still remember that game he threw at us at the end of 2012....we literally stopped hitting after that.

See, that's the thing that doesn't bother me about this game. If the O's lose, they will have lost because of a bunch of pitchers who won't be on their postseason roster anyway. Kind of like in spring training, where the O's lose with a bunch of players who aren't going to make their major league roster.

Yeah, I can see both sides. I just don't like handing the Rays an easier path after Chen (and the defense, mostly) gutted out a strong 7+ innings. If it refreshes the "real" bullpen for more important games going forward, fine. But it's just a little irksome tonight.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I don’t think this matters. I think you get value where you can. The Rays have been willing trade partners in the past when it was clear they weren’t contending. Right now they are 4 games out of the last slot but have like 5 teams above them. Can they get it? Sure but it’s not that likely and in the past they’ve been realistic in their down type seasons.
    • I think Norby is going to be a very good MLB offensive player. I’m ok trading him but not for 1/2 season rental types.
    • Yeah I think they need to staggar the lefties in the rotation order. R-R-L-R-L like that.
    • Trading Mayo Kjerstad and Povich for one guy to become a relief pitcher is nuts.
    • We don't need starting pitchers. We need Relief Pitchers. We don't need average Relief Pitchers, we need consistent high leverage/high K Relief Pitchers.
    • If you feel comfortable putting Aiken and Baker (or even Tate) in during an elimination series, that's your prerogative. But I do not. Too inconsistent, which is the same reason why Mike Baumann pitched himself off the active roster. when spot was needed for returning starters off the IL. Currently Coulombe is on IL so we can't even count on one of our best. Cano has regressed from last season. We've also witnessed last season how Webb broke down from over use and was ineffective in the playoff series against Texas. Perez goes in streaks of either really good or concernedly bad (he loses his command). Akin's problem is he leaves the ball over the heart of the plate and he doesn't have good enough stuff to get away with it. They're meatballs. We might get some good times from Baker now that he's up, but I would only expect a month or 2 at best from him before he returns to old habits. And Suarez is a starter who wants to be a starter. Who knows if he will go back to the bullpen? He'll have to go deeper into games if he wants to stay in the rotation, otherwise, I think he should be in the bullpen. But that's not what he is right now in this moment. He's a starter with a ERA in the 1s.
    • It's pretty hard to say definitively that the bolded is true.  It might be, but there's also the loss in ability you have to account for.  30 year olds are slower than 26 year olds too.  Maybe their game knowledge and practice have made it so they can overcome the meager loss in bat speed/athleticism over that time span.  But the picture is a bit muddy.   I also don't think the aging issue is limited to people in their mid-late 30s.  Bat speed peaks at like 24 or 25 based on the data we have right now on it, and after 31 starts falling off fairly fast.  Obviously this is population data and individuals are likely to see different curves.   But outside of the stars that have a lot of ability to lose, it's becoming pretty clear that once you hit your early 30s it's pretty hard to maintain your skills without all the "help" that is extensively tested for.   I think that even for early-30s players teams are much more willing to drop them over giving them expensive market-rate deals, especially since they can abuse young talent so readily.
  • Popular Contributors