vs. RAYS, 9/05

OFFNY

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I can see both sides. I just don't like handing the Rays an easier path after Chen (and the defense, mostly) gutted out a strong 7+ innings. If it refreshes the "real" bullpen for more important games going forward, fine. But it's just a little irksome tonight.

That's the thing. Losing tonight, or resting our "good" pen pitchers for a week, or two weeks, or three weeks, doesn't necessarily "refresh" them. If they're hurt, or sick, or mentally downtrodden, or forgot their mechanics, or have a blister on their thumb, or preoccupied with family emergencies, or just sick and tired of playing every day, no amount of rest is going to fix them.

We had this exact same thing happen to parts of our pen in 2012. Remember how Pedro Strop couldn't throw a strike if you quadrupled the area of the strike zone? Remember how Jim Johnson was terrible in the playoffs?

I have zero confidence in our pen right now for the playoffs except for Zach Britton, who seems mostly immune to the team-wide bullpen torpor. All I can say is, if you have any hope of us winning the ALDS, then you better pray that Tillman, Miggy and Chen can go at least 8 IP each in their starts.

The only thing that bothers me about losing this game (because every team loses games) is that the loss falls squarely on the Orioles' "B" squad. Webb and Meek were in the minors for most of the season for a reason.

I'm a little surprised that Matusz didn't make any appearance at all, especially to face Loney. The outcome might have been the same but at least Matusz is somewhat competitive. With Miller on the shelf that should translate to more work for Matusz but it hasn't shaken out that way.

That's the thing. Losing tonight, or resting our "good" pen pitchers for a week, or two weeks, or three weeks, doesn't necessarily "refresh" them. If they're hurt, or sick, or mentally downtrodden, or forgot their mechanics, or have a blister on their thumb, or preoccupied with family emergencies, or just sick and tired of playing every day, no amount of rest is going to fix them.

We had this exact same thing happen to parts of our pen in 2012. Remember how Pedro Strop couldn't throw a strike if you quadrupled the area of the strike zone? Remember how Jim Johnson was terrible in the playoffs?

I have zero confidence in our pen right now for the playoffs except for Zach Britton, who seems mostly immune to the team-wide bullpen torpor. All I can say is, if you have any hope of us winning the ALDS, then you better pray that Tillman, Miggy and Chen can go at least 8 IP each in their starts.

Opinions vary.

Archived