Jason Heyward

BergerKing

If Markakis doesnt resign I think the Orioles should throw some money at a Tori Hunter/ Cuddyer type player on a 1 year deal and than go all in on Heyward if he hits free agency the next year.

The guy is a stud who will be going into his prime when he signs his next contract. He plays gold glove defense and can honestly bat wherever you put him. He is a 20-20 guy easy and it wouldnt shock me if he hit 30 HRs a year playing half his games at Camden Yards.

I doubt he comes cheap but I think he would be worth it.

Thoughts?

It's then. I would like him but I do wonder what he would cost.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

With all this talk about a possible Braves rebuild what do people think about trying to acquire Heyward via trade this offseason? He is a FA after 2015 and coming off a down year in regards to power. I would think his asking price can't be as huge as it used to be.

What would it take? Gonzo plus a top 5 prospect to get it done?

I love the idea of him in our lineup and then signing Nick or Cruz.

If not Heyward, I'd like to see us try to trade with the Dodgers for Either. Ubaldo + B prospect for Either + cash would probably do it. Both the Dodgers and Braves are looking for Pitching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all this talk about a possible Braves rebuild what do people think about trying to acquire Heyward via trade this offseason? He is a FA after 2015 and coming off a down year in regards to power. I would think his asking price can't be as huge as it used to be.

What would it take? Gonzo plus a top 5 prospect to get it done?

I love the idea of him in our lineup and then signing Nick or Cruz.

If not Heyward, I'd like to see us try to trade with the Dodgers for Either. Ubaldo + B prospect for Either + cash would probably do it. Both the Dodgers and Braves are looking for Pitching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they want good starting pitching. Right now Ubaldo is a project.

The Orioles can spend and I do think they will again. At some point they are going to throw a mega deal at someone who still has their best years ahead of them. The batting average might look suspect but he does have a good eye. Id have no problem with the Orioles swinging for the fences on him.

I watch as many Braves games as I do Orioles games since I live here in Atlanta and I can tell you Orioles fans would get extremely frustrated with Heyward on their team. Heyward is very comparable to Markakis IMO. He is great defensively and is a good runner but his bat has regressed every season since his rookie year. He's got a good eye but he has horrible mechanics in his swing. Gets way too pull happy and turns his hands over a lot. Someone is going to pay him a lot of money based on his potential but the production is just not there. Plus he's had a ton of injuries and as much as this sounds stupid he plays a lot older than 25 because he played 100 plus games a year growing up around here playing travel ball.

I watch as many Braves games as I do Orioles games since I live here in Atlanta and I can tell you Orioles fans would get extremely frustrated with Heyward on their team. Heyward is very comparable to Markakis IMO. He is great defensively and is a good runner but his bat has regressed every season since his rookie year. He's got a good eye but he has horrible mechanics in his swing. Gets way too pull happy and turns his hands over a lot. Someone is going to pay him a lot of money based on his potential but the production is just not there. Plus he's had a ton of injuries and as much as this sounds stupid he plays a lot older than 25 because he played 100 plus games a year growing up around here playing travel ball.

Offensively is the only place they are similar. Heyward is light years ahead of Markakis with the glove and on the base paths. As far as cost goes, you can expect one of Bundy or Harvey at minimum.

5 years of Heyward=21.4fWAR

9 years of Markakis=22.6fWAR

With that said, I can't imagine the Oriole's would make this deal because there is likely no way they could afford to extend him at the roughly 7/150 contract he would certainly get in FA.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>St. Louis Cardinals trade RHP Shelby Miller & RHP Tyrell Jenkins to the Braves for OF Jason Heyward & RHP Jordan Walden.</p>— St. Louis Cardinals (@Cardinals) <a href="

">November 17, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The way the O's work I would expect more of Pearce/Lough/Alvarez/Urrutia if Nick is not signed. They will look internally first.

I am assuming Cruz is not resigned. In your humble opinion, how do you expect the Orioles to replace that offensive production?

I am assuming Cruz is not resigned. In your humble opinion, how do you expect the Orioles to replace that offensive production?

I believe that Walker, Urrutia, and Alavarez could provide 70 percent of what Cruz did last year. I believe Cruz will provide 80 percent of what he did last year.

I believe that Walker, Urrutia, and Alavarez could provide 70 percent of what Cruz did last year. I believe Cruz will provide 80 percent of what he did last year.

Weams thanks for the laugh man.

Archived