Jason Heyward

BergerKing

If Markakis doesnt resign I think the Orioles should throw some money at a Tori Hunter/ Cuddyer type player on a 1 year deal and than go all in on Heyward if he hits free agency the next year.

The guy is a stud who will be going into his prime when he signs his next contract. He plays gold glove defense and can honestly bat wherever you put him. He is a 20-20 guy easy and it wouldnt shock me if he hit 30 HRs a year playing half his games at Camden Yards.

I doubt he comes cheap but I think he would be worth it.

Thoughts?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Markakis doesnt resign I think the Orioles should throw some money at a Tori Hunter/ Cuddyer type player on a 1 year deal and than go all in on Heyward if he hits free agency the next year.

The guy is a stud who will be going into his prime when he signs his next contract. He plays gold glove defense and can honestly bat wherever you put him. He is a 20-20 guy easy and it wouldnt shock me if he hit 30 HRs a year playing half his games at Camden Yards.

Thoughts?

He's going to be on everyone's radar. All the big spenders......I don't see the Orioles competing in the guaranteed bidding war that will occur IF Atlanta doesn't resign him first....and don't forget, he's from Georgia.

And statistically, I'd like to see more consistenty/progression from him. 2015 could be very telling, as long as he stays healthy. He's still very young, but he does have 5 MLB seasons under his belt. And in 149 games last year, he hit 11 hr's with .271 BA.

Thoughts?

He definitely doesn't come cheap and will be out of the Orioles' price range. If he doesn't re-sign, he's going to get a monster deal at the end of next year. He'll go for $20M+ / year, because he's young, healthy, and as good in the field as he is at the plate. Even if he can be pretty streaky.

Wow, defensive metrics love him. I feel stupid for saying I do not see how he is worth $200 million while looking at his ridiculous WAR totals, but I just don't feel confident in a guy whose value is SO tied to his defense while his offense is merely average at best these last couple of years, atleast not for the price tag.

The way the O's work I would expect more of Pearce/Lough/Alvarez/Urrutia if Nick is not signed. They will look internally first.
If they don't sign Nick, I can see them signing someone like Gomes/Cuddyer/Ludwick. Need to add another RH bat to that group. Buck likes Cuddyer, and Gomes. Both have great clubhouse guy reps.

Thoughts?

Wieters for Heyward and someone else...pretty sure Atlanta is going to be after Wieters anyway...might be a good use of resources in the case that Nick doesn't resign...although I really think the O's will keep Nick somehow.

I watch the Braves occasionally since they are the closest team to me, geographically. Heyward is indeed a streaky hitter. I don't know if the Braves would need Weiters. They already have Evan Gaddis as their catcher, and he is good.

If he performs well next year, he'll likely be in line for a $200 million dollar deal; a team like the Orioles simply can't afford to miss on a guy like that, especially when you factor in the lost first round pick that would undoubtedly come with signing him.

No chance. That would instantly be the worst contract in ML history, and unlikely to ever be challenged.

Archived