Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

There are options between terrible and awesome. Nick is an average MLB RFer in his early 30s. He's looking for a free agent contract. Depending on his wants he may price himself out of what's reasonable for a mid-market team. All teams don't have the same needs and budgets.

I'll be reasonably happy and reasonably optimistic if Nick resigns to a reasonable deal with some escape clauses. But anything like MLBTraderumors has been floating (4/48?!) and I can't see a way that works out in favor of the team.

Even I would agree that 4/$48 mm is too much for the Orioles to pay. Though if they do pay it, I will find some way to rationalize it and still be happy about it.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And if one of those players is a bust or gets hurt then what? This isn't Oakland or Tampa. You don't want to spend more to help minimize the risk of just missing out on the postseason? That money savings for Nick isn't going to bring in impact talent. If Pearce gets hurt next year and DeAza struggles with Nick gone then what are the Orioles going to do? I don't want to take that risk.

You could replace Nick with Quintin Berry and Julio Borbon and the O's might lose two wins. That's just not very high on the list of risks.

I guess, I thought you were saying this team doesn't spend money and that only teams that spend money are looking at Nick as a FA.

No, I wasn't saying that. What I'm saying is for every team, the risk-reward is different, and for every team, the dollar to production needed equation is different.

But does it make sense? The Yanks spent a ton of money on decent guys in their 30s, and found out just how quickly they can age.

Which is why I said, "Not sure he should get that."

Yanks spent a bunch of money, lately, it hasn't worked, but they do have several WS rings, so sometimes it does work.

I guess with 3 rings in 5 years, teams should look to the Giants to see how they are getting it done.

No' date=' I wasn't saying that. What I'm saying is for every team, the risk-reward is different, and for every team, the dollar to production needed equation is different.[/quote']

Roger that.

DD has money to spend, he just has to practice some smart fiscal responsibility with the budget.

But does it make sense? The Yanks spent a ton of money on decent guys in their 30s, and found out just how quickly they can age.

It seems to me that the Yankees beat the odds on the age thing for a very long time. The chickens finally came home to roost, but still, the average age of their lineup was over 30 every single year from 1994 until now, and they went to the playoffs 17 years out of 18 (1995-2012) and had a winning record the last two years and the other time they missed the playoffs.

I realize there's a difference between having a 30+ 4 WAR player decline, and having a 30+ 2 WAR player decline. They Yankees were paying older guys superstar salaries to be merely above average, but at least they were above average, for the most part.

You could replace Nick with Quintin Berry and Julio Borbon and the O's might lose two wins. That's just not very high on the list of risks.

You are going to sign Hardy back for 3 more years and have guys like Jones, Machado, Gausman, Schoop, Tillman, etc in this window and do that?

I'll be reasonably happy and reasonably optimistic if Nick resigns to a reasonable deal with some escape clauses. But anything like MLBTraderumors has been floating (4/48?!) and I can't see a way that works out in favor of the team.

Anything is possible until it isn't, but it's hard to see the O's paying FMV to bring Nick back, particularly over 4 years.

I wonder if the Orioles are being forced to talk 4 years, because of other team interest in Nick.

Despite what Roch has written, I'll believe Nick gets a guaranteed 4-year deal from the Orioles when I see it. If Hardy didn't get one, I have a very hard time seeing the O's give one to Nick.

Despite what Roch has written, I'll believe Nick gets a guaranteed 4-year deal from the Orioles when I see it. If Hardy didn't get one, I have a very hard time seeing the O's give one to Nick.

Now you are just making sense. Being logical. But, of course, free agency defies logic. Take what is logical, add a year and 2 or 3M per year and that is close to a free agents price.

Does DD have the guts to roll the dice, let Nick go FA and see what happens? See who is available in Feb at a bargain price?

He has done it before but now he is dealing with the core of a 99 win team.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Think O's have to consider the qualifying offer for Markakis while trying to complete the long-term deal. As Buck says, "just in case."</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">November 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Think O's have to consider the qualifying offer for Markakis while trying to complete the long-term deal. As Buck says, "just in case."</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="
">November 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sounding like we might not get the deal done before the deadline. It'll be interesting to see his market if he has a QO attached.

Archived