Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

You are going to sign Hardy back for 3 more years and have guys like Jones, Machado, Gausman, Schoop, Tillman, etc in this window and do that?

I wasn't advocating using Berry and Borbon to replace Nick, only pointing out that an option like that would likely only cost the team a win or two while saving $10M+ a year to use elsewhere.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm just saying, the team has 3 players that currently get on base:

Nick Markakis

Chris Davis

Steve Pearce

Chris could be gone, suspended, traded, or completely tank.

Pearce had one outlier year.

Nick we at least know can get on base at a .340 ish clip.

And we don't have to pay a premium for that OBP. I agree it's not ideal. I'm just saying.

I think 4/48 would be a premium

Wieters has a career .320 OBP, Manny has improved each year and finished at .324.

Both those guys coming back healthy should help

I'm just saying, the team has 3 players that currently get on base:

Nick Markakis

Chris Davis

Steve Pearce

Chris could be gone, suspended, traded, or completely tank.

Pearce had one outlier year.

Nick we at least know can get on base at a .340 ish clip.

And we don't have to pay a premium for that OBP. I agree it's not ideal. I'm just saying.

\

How much is OBP worth when it is not tied to defense, speed or power?

Nick didn't exactly score a ton of runs despite batting leadoff last season.

Twenty five doubles a year Nick doesn't play at leadoff.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Think O's have to consider the qualifying offer for Markakis while trying to complete the long-term deal. As Buck says, "just in case."</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="
">November 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Was listening to Jim Duquette and Mike Ferrin on Sirius XM this morning. They had a discussion about which players will or will not get a QO. Nick's name did not come up.

Obviously, that doesn't mean anything, but it was interesting.

And you'll notice I never said he should lead off. We all wanted him to leadoff and he hits well enough there, but then we see the numbers regarding taking extra bases, etc.

So bat him 2nd, or 5th or whatever. But we need someone with his bat skills - a guy who can go the opposite way at will, who can take a walk, knows how to go up the middle. For all the star power Adam Jones has, he can't do any of those 3 things. Well... he CAN, he just refuses to.

I don't think that is particularly accurate. The way you put it sounds like you think Jones can do everything he does now, AND do that stuff, if he felt like it.

Today's stat is a look at the 2014 American League leaders in fewest pitches swinging and missing. We hear about pitchers with swing-and-miss stuff. Here are the batters that swung and missed the fewest percentage of the time this season:

9.2 - Victor Martinez, Detroit

9.8 - Michael Brantley, Cleveland

9.9 - Jose Altuve, Houston

10.2 - Nori Aoki, Kansas City

11.0 - Alberto Callaspo, Oakland

11.1 - Nick Markakis, Orioles; Ian Kinsler, Detroit

MASNSteve

And you'll notice I never said he should lead off. We all wanted him to leadoff and he hits well enough there, but then we see the numbers regarding taking extra bases, etc.

So bat him 2nd, or 5th or whatever. But we need someone with his bat skills - a guy who can go the opposite way at will, who can take a walk, knows how to go up the middle. For all the star power Adam Jones has, he can't do any of those 3 things. Well... he CAN, he just refuses to.

Whatever Adam can and will do, it is the best that our team has.

What value is there in going the other way when it results in what Markakis produces at the plate? I tend to be an OBP and walk junkie, but they are merely a means to an end. If the end doesn't really produce much, why would I want it? Markakis, for all his long at bats, and going the other way, taking a walk, etc., doesn't have much of an offensive impact.

What value is there in going the other way when it results in what Markakis produces at the plate? I tend to be an OBP and walk junkie' date=' but they are merely a means to an end. If the end doesn't really produce much, why would I want it? Markakis, for all his long at bats, and going the other way, taking a walk, etc., doesn't have much of an offensive impact.[/quote']

I agree that people often get hung up on the how at the expense of the what.

Well... Terry Crowley would have to stop Jim Presley from telling him to swing at everything from 54' curveballs to fastballs halfway up the backstop.

And we know that is not what is going to happen.

"We hit enough to win three pennants."

I really can't see anyone that has an average or bigger RF signing Markakis.

He is married to Camden Yards, with his lack of foot speed I think most teams will be very wary of signing Markakis to play a normal sized RF.

Give him the QO, and/or offer 3/30 and definitely not a penny more.

Kind of like out of curiosity to see what he can get on the open market.

Archived