Carlos Gonzalez - Possible Markakis Replacement?

gmelson26

More broadly, as a general rule, MLB teams (and thus MLB players) hit better at home than they do on the road. In 2014 20 out of 30 teams had better slugging percentages at home than on the road and 23 teams had better OBP at home than on the road.

Last year the mean team home SLG percentage was .3935 while the mean team road slugging percentage was .379. You might assume that is biased by the Rockies having a huge home/road split but the median SLG percentage was .3945 at home and .3795 on the road. The OBP median is .317 vs .306.

The Padres OBP/SLG at home was .299/.348 which was last in the league. Not surprising since they play in one of the biggest pitchers parks and are not a very good team. But their OBP/SLG on the road was .285/.336.

It isn't as simple as looking at a player's road splits and assuming that is what he would do in a neutral environment because there is a real home field advantage in a neutral home field.

Yes, that is generally true. However when the split is 240 points of OPS for his career I think it requires special attention.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, that is generally true. However when the split is 240 points of OPS for his career I think it bears special attention.

Of course, but nobody who knows anything about baseball would look at a Rockies players stats and assumes that they will perform the same way if they didn't play for Colorado. But a lot of people do look at Rockies players road splits and assume they will perform like that if they played for another team and while the error isn't as significant to the individual player it is still an error worth considering, especially because it is can be made by people who are fairly well versed in baseball.

Of course, but nobody who knows anything about baseball would look at a Rockies players stats and assumes that they will perform the same way if they didn't play for Colorado. But a lot of people do look at Rockies players road splits and assume they will perform like that if they played for another team and while the error isn't as significant to the individual player it is still an error worth considering, especially because it is can be made by people who are fairly well versed in baseball.

What I would say is that he is likely closer to the .750 OPS he has on the road for his career than he is to the .872 he has for his career overall outside of Colorado. Meaning, he's probably a good player but not the great player he is seen to be by many. Therefore I would not be in favor of trading much value to acquire him considering he is already being paid a hefty sum of money.

One down year because of an injury won't get Gonzalez for B prospects. They could just wait and see since he's signed for 3 years. It would take Gausman, Bundy/Harvey, and Cisco to get them to listen. Much rather go for a guy like Fowler for 1 year. Probably get him for a De Aza and MacFarland and a guy like Wright.

And Col was crazy to offer Cuddyer a QO. He was probably only going to get a one or two year deal at probably 7/8m per at most. He'd be a fool to not take it.

Wow. Gausman, Bundy and Cisco? I'd lock myself in a closet and weep for a month straight if DD made that trade? I'm sorry, but you're way way way way way way off.

Wow. Gausman, Bundy and Cisco? I'd lock myself in a closet and weep for a month straight if DD made that trade? I'm sorry, but you're way way way way way way off.

Didn't say that's what it would take. But thats what they would ask for. I don't want Gonzalez. Rather have Fowler for De Aza and MacFarland

-- Asking price. One rival official said the Rockies are willing to move Tulowitzki and Gonzalez but only for returns that would reflect their contributions when healthy. In other words, no discount for injury.

If the Rockies hold firm in that stance, it would be difficult for them to move either player this offseason. But if they are willing to be creative – and in Tulowitzki’s case, include cash in any deal – they could reshape their club dramatically.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/rockies-willing-to-listen-to-offers-for-carlos-gonzalez-troy-tulowitzki-110514

-- Asking price. One rival official said the Rockies are willing to move Tulowitzki and Gonzalez but only for returns that would reflect their contributions when healthy. In other words, no discount for injury.

If the Rockies hold firm in that stance, it would be difficult for them to move either player this offseason. But if they are willing to be creative – and in Tulowitzki’s case, include cash in any deal – they could reshape their club dramatically.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/rockies-willing-to-listen-to-offers-for-carlos-gonzalez-troy-tulowitzki-110514

Neither will be traded then.

Archived