Carlos Gonzalez - Possible Markakis Replacement?

gmelson26

I'm not sure I'm sold on the idea, but where would you stand we didn't sign Markakis and traded low because of an 2014 injury for Carlos Gonzalez?

He is a career .294/.351/.520/.871 and about 20 SBs a year, 20-30 HRs, 29 years old. He is signed for 3 years 15m, 16m, 20m each of those years.

Include de Aza in the deal, and have outfield looking something like..

LF - Gonzalez

CF - Jones

RF - Pearce/Lough

I post this as a near pure hypothetical, as I think we're resigning Markakis.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if something like De Aza and Hunter would do it. It's academic I'm sure, since the O's are going to sign Markakis any day now. I would much rather do this, than pay Markakis 4 yrs/$48 mill.

De Aza and Hunter hahahah come on dude Carlos Gonzalez is a stud.

De Aza and Hunter hahahah come on dude Carlos Gonzalez is a stud.

Coors Inflation - 29 for the 2015 season - $16.4 million, $17.4 million and $20.4 million.

2014 - .238 and played just 70 games

Doesn't take too many seasons like that for your "Stud" to become Crush Davis.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Just one add on IP.  Just looked, Kirby only pitched 67 innings last season, over 15 starts.  Seems likely limited, he missed a month due to a shoulder injury in 2021?  I'd see this as a similar use case as GRod.  He's at 152 IP this year.
    • Sorry, Denoyer wasn't part of that 5, but in my mind he was. The top 4, plus Denoyer and Mav is what I meant
    • He pitched 103 last year.  So an ideal season would have him at 125-140 this year.  Understand he didn't get there, but wouldn't you like to try to get 150 out of him next year so he's still there for stretch run/postseason assuming that's needed?  How do you make that feasible?
    • Pitchers to cut/leavingFA Anthony Castro Chris Ellis - 60 Day IL Logan Gillaspie Louis Head Jordan Lyles Jake Reed Beau Susler Chris Vallimont Spenser Watkins Cathers, IF Cut/LeavingFA Robinson Chirinos Cam Gallagher Tyler Nevin  Rougned Odor Jesus Aguilar I am going to give a spot to Diaz, its AAA Depth and we can always cut him after ST. With Means coming of the 60 Day, I think that puts us at 12 Open Spots I'm probably only protecting 6 MILB guys, so I would go into my offseason with 6 open spots and start crushing the Waiver Wire (the 5 listed in the original post plus Maverick (I know its slim, but we really have almost no catching depth in the milb and we have to protect it even if its a 1% chance hes selected in the Rule V) There's a part of me that wants to keep a couple of the pitchers listed above, but I believe many would pass through waivers and those that don't can easily be replaced on the waiver wire. That's probably where we could find some more catcher depth too, but I'd use most of those spots on more waiver wire pitching like last year.      
    • This is a huge winter for Mateo.  he should have confidence enough to put in the work to get better for next year.  The Orioles gave him a chance.  He took it.   Now put in the work Mr. Mateo.
    • Well, if you miss on 4th down, you assume they get it at the 2.  The idea that they got it on the 20 changes everything. I don’t mind the decision, after reading more and hearing more explanations.  I still think he should have taken the points but ultimately, I think at best they go into OT if they took the points and more than likely lose in regular time.
    • I mean, I can see being upset that they didn’t play well and blew the playoff chance.  I just don’t get why it matters that it was to division teams.  I’m more upset that they lost to Detroit and Oakland, teams that were far inferior.
  • Popular Contributors