Trade Ubaldo please

steva84

I think some might be underestimating Ubaldo's value.

He earns $12.5 this year and $13 over the next two seasons. I don't know how these things are usually done, but I would assume that to make things cleaner the O's would remain on the hook for any deferred portion of Ubaldo's 2014 salary (meaning they'd be responsible for that and any of the 2015 - 2017 salary they picked up as part of a potential trade). Basically, the O's would be discussing unloading a 3/$39 contract.

MLBTR predicts a 3/$30 contract for Jason Hammel. Scott Feldman got 3/$30 last year. Those guys are more safe bets (possibly - not convinced how well Hammel will do if he signs with an AL team) but Ubaldo has much greater upside. Brandon McCarthy will command a 3-year deal in the range of what Ubaldo is owed and he has one year with more than 170 innings pitched (last season) and only one other year (2011) with more than 140 innings pitched.

Jake Peavey might cost as much in dollars per year as Ubaldo, although possibly on a two year deal instead of three years. Going by FIP, Ubaldo had a better year in the AL East in 2014 than Peavy did.

Point being, every SP free agent as his warts. Every team's situation is different. Ubaldo's annual salary is not restrictive, his future performance is somewhat volatile but with a relatively high ceiling, and three years is a lot better than 4, 5, or 6 it will take to get other starters. I wouldn't dismiss the idea that some team(s) will have interest if Ubaldo fits their situation. If the Orioles are willing to eat a significant chunk of his salary, he suddenly becomes a rather attractive option to budget conscious teams.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that any team will take a player, especially a SP with Ubaldo's numbers this past year, and his huge contract. If he does improve, the O's should keep him rather than talking about trading him. He hit the bottom last year with his performance and career. I do believe that, with hard work, he will improve. These days, a decent SP is worth his weight in gold.

Now, if he fails to improve, then the O's will probably have to release him and eat up his contract. But I don't believe that this scenario will happen. I have faith in Ubaldo, as I have faith in all of our O's. Especially with our Best AL Manager, Buck Showalter, at the helm.

There are rumors from the GM Meetings that the O's are letting it be known that he is available.
I am sure that DD would let evryone know that he is available; he could be some other team's reclamation project. But is there a team that wants to take on a reclamation project with that huge contract? I seriously doubt it. Face it, he's our reclamation project. With more good coaching and hard work, he should make it and have a decent year.

I didn't see this either. But who are the Indians willing to give up for Ubaldo (with the Os eating part of his contract)? It doesn't look as if the Indians are willing to give up much more than the proverbial bag of baseballs. I think that it would be better to take a chance on him improving.

I didn't see this either. But who are the Indians willing to give up for Ubaldo (with the Os eating part of his contract)? It doesn't look as if the Indians are willing to give up much more than the proverbial bag of baseballs. I think that it would be better to take a chance on him improving.

Agree with this. Unless Dan has plans for the extra dollars he'll save, I'd rather take my chances on Ubaldo bouncing back this season.

Agree with this. Unless Dan has plans for the extra dollars he'll save, I'd rather take my chances on Ubaldo bouncing back this season.

I'm in the camp of holding on to 6 starters unless we get something great in return. I'm also in the camp of Jimenez bouncing back. However, if we work something out with Johan Santana and they think he could be ready, then I'd be for the salary relief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the camp of holding on to 6 starters unless we get something great in return. I'm also in the camp of Jimenez bouncing back. However, if we work something out with Johan Santana and they think he could be ready, then I'd be for the salary relief.

I think Santana's days of starting are over. Could be a weapon out of the pen.

What about trading Jimenez for Nick Swisher? He is owed $44 million over the next 3 years with a vesting option of $14 million with 550 PA's. He likewise had a down year last year with a negative WAR and OPSing .608, but has a career .353 OBP, is versatile defensively, and 2 years ago slashed .246/.341/.423/.764. Could be a decent trade-off to move Jimenez and address an offseason need.

Another option that would possibly require us to eat some of Ubaldo's contract would be to trade him for Carlos Quentin. Heyman is reporting Quentin could waive his No-Trade-Clause to go to an AL team to DH occasionally. (Link:https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/status/532546114529271808) Quentin is owed $8 million next year with a $10 million mutual option. He OPSed .877 & .855 in 2012 and 2013 over 660 PA's. He is a serious injury risk and would primarily DH, but could fill a void left by Cruz if healthy. And if not, it is only one year and we would be rid of Ubaldo's contract (for the most part).

I think Santana's days of starting are over. Could be a weapon out of the pen.

Maybe so. But weren't they gung-Ho about giving him a chance to start last season? Then his Achilles popped. Since his arm didn't get hurt, I would assume the plan for him is to start. But yes, he could be Miller-esque out of the pen.

Archived